PDA

View Full Version : Hook Worm Disaster

Daisylover
09-14-2001, 02:12 PM
Our rabbit sanctuary in Michigan recently rescued 3 rabbits from a humane society in metro Detroit at their request.

First problem, they made no attempt to separate the unneutered bunnies. Within 2 weeks we had 10 babies. Then the first mom died without warning, about one week later the second mom died. The babies, fortunately, had started eating veggies on their own. Dad was adopted. Fortunately the new owner took him to the vet. It turned out Dad had hook worms, most likely(according to the vet)they contacted while at this humane society. The vet advised that the Moms died from toxemia resulting from the h.w. infestation. The vet also mentioned that as a rule h.w.'s are not something bunnies get. I am sure you are aware these worms are highly contagious. We quickly got everybody on meds and I am happy to report that the babies and the 4 companion bunnies the moms and dad interacted with are doing exceedingly well. We do know how we will sterilize the barn where they were housed. And belatedly will isolate all future newcomers. I suppose we are sort of lucky that in 8 years of bunny rescue this is out first contagious event.

What we need help with is that we do not know is how to sterlize the outside yard these buns used for exercise. I have contacted the MSU Veternary School and several extension services in lower Mich. I have not gotten any advice except to let the yard lie fallow for several years. We found a website stating we can use 10 lbs borax for ev 100 sq feet. This will however kill the vegetation and ruin the soil.

Does anyone have any ideas, any information that they can pass along? We are desperate not to ruin the soil. We really need to use the contaminated yard. Any and all responses will be gratefully received. Thank you!

4 feline house
09-16-2001, 11:06 PM
I notice you are in the north. According to
this article (http://www.peteducation.com/parasites/hookworms.htm), freezing temperatures will take care of it, so I don't think you have to wait years. They also say flaming it (sending it hateful emails? :confused: ;) ) will also work, but I'm sure that's not very practical!

Good luck with the little buniies.

Daisylover
09-17-2001, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Daisylover:
<STRONG>Our rabbit sanctuary in Michigan recently rescued 3 rabbits from a humane society in metro Detroit at their request.

First problem, they made no attempt to separate the unneutered bunnies. Within 2 weeks we had 10 babies. Then the first mom died without warning, about one week later the second mom died. The babies, fortunately, had started eating veggies on their own. Dad was adopted. Fortunately the new owner took him to the vet. It turned out Dad had hook worms, most likely(according to the vet)they contacted while at this humane society. The vet advised that the Moms died from toxemia resulting from the h.w. infestation. The vet also mentioned that as a rule h.w.'s are not something bunnies get. I am sure you are aware these worms are highly contagious. We quickly got everybody on meds and I am happy to report that the babies and the 4 companion bunnies the moms and dad interacted with are doing exceedingly well. We do know how we will sterilize the barn where they were housed. And belatedly will isolate all future newcomers. I suppose we are sort of lucky that in 8 years of bunny rescue this is out first contagious event.

What we need help with is that we do not know is how to sterlize the outside yard these buns used for exercise. I have contacted the MSU Veternary School and several extension services in lower Mich. I have not gotten any advice except to let the yard lie fallow for several years. We found a website stating we can use 10 lbs borax for ev 100 sq feet. This will however kill the vegetation and ruin the soil.

Does anyone have any ideas, any information that they can pass along? We are desperate not to ruin the soil. We really need to use the contaminated yard. Any and all responses will be gratefully received. Thank you!</STRONG>

Daisylover
09-17-2001, 12:04 PM
Thank you for your reply. Mosts vets we have spoken with and extension service tell me hook worms can live for years!!! Snow insulates them through the winter. And they tend to hatch in damp weather. So we are not hopeful that the winter will kill them.
'm not sure a controlled fire is an option due to the proximity of the barn but we will keep it in mind.

Thanks again.