PDA

View Full Version : Ewwww, Ewwww, Ewww!!!

DogLover9501
02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
:eek: I just discovered that Tigger has LOTS of flea eggs :eek:

I thought it was SAND all over him, and they are all little black things, I'm pretty sure that's what they are.

My dad and I used a "Shop Vac" trying to vacuum some off, because we can't put any flea stuff on him because I think he's alergic to it.

Any suggestions are helpfull!!

Do flea shots kill eggs?

RICHARD
02-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Diatamaceous earth.

Really! It a natural product that kills fleas and ants.

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=1301&promo=overture&ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=diatom_earth&ovcrn=diatamaceous+earth&ovtac=PPC

DogLover9501
02-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Richard!

Do you know if it's in Canada?

kt_luvs_kitties
02-09-2005, 05:08 PM
You could try a bath with the original Dawn dish soap. That kills fleas. If that is too strong for him, try johnsons baby shampoo, it also works well for sensitive skin, and he will smell great;)

NoahsMommy
02-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Poor thing!! :(

Is he on the flea shot? If so, there shouldn't be flea eggs on him, the shot prevents fleas from reproducing.

I would suggest flea shampoo. :)

RICHARD
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Thanks Richard!

Do you know if it's in Canada?

I don't see why not.

Try an hardware or nursery!

moosmom
02-09-2005, 06:12 PM
The only thing I know of that kills flea eggs is Revolution, a topical pesticide that will get rid of fleas, flea eggs, earmites and ticks.

Dawn won't do anything for fleas and flea eggs. When I took Mandy to the vet, she was loaded with fleas and flea eggs. The vet told me to put Revolution on all my cats. He said that if any flea eggs hatched in the house, they'd hop a ride on a cat and die.

DogLover9501
02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Is he on the flea shot? If so, there shouldn't be flea eggs on him, the shot prevents fleas from reproducing.

He hasn't had one yet, we weren't sure what to do since we couldn't use any liquid stuff, and we found out before winter about I *think* an advantage shot that lasts 6 months?

We got alot of the eggs with the shop/shot? vac, and also by brushing him.

So if he got the shot now, it wouldn't get rid of the eggs, right?

Oh and what exactly is Revolution?

Kristl
02-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I remember when Mason was INFESTED with fleas. It was so gross I got the itchies everytime I thought about it. We put, something can't remember the name, on him a regular flea thing and they went away. Good luck since he's allergic! I feel so bad for him!:(

QueenScoopalot
02-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure what the shot is you're referring to, but you most likely will have to treat all your pets. Either Revolution, or Advantage, or if it's available in Canada, Capstar (? think that's right) works well. All are available through vets offices, and are the safest for pets. The first two are topical, and you apply it between the shoulder blades where they can't lick it. Capstar is a daily pill that will eventually break the flea life cycle, and is very safe. It's a good idea to find a pet friendly spray for the house, that will kill off eggs lodged in crevices. ;) The black stuff you are seeing is not eggs, but flea dung. :rolleyes: Eggs look like salt, but oval shaped when you look with a magnifier. YICK! Use a flea comb on everyone in your house...especailly the back area just above the tail, and cheeks. Fleas seek out the moisture from animals mouths, and back ends..YUCK! I'm curious about this shot you're talking about. Any shot that lasts six months would have me running in the other direction! :eek: ;) :eek:

CalliesMom
02-09-2005, 07:19 PM
I would use Capstar first; it kills all fleas within 24 hours but does not last long in the system. Then I would get your kitty on some flea/tick preventive such as Revolution or Advantage. I'm sorry that Tigger has fleas! They are the worst..

DogLover9501
02-09-2005, 07:28 PM
:eek: I'm glad all the black stuff isn't eggs!

I've tried a couple different kinds of liquid stuff for fleas on Tigger, and he goes crazy, shakes..etc, the first time I actually thought that he got poisened or something :eek:

Our vet doesn't sell Capstar for some reason, when we adopted Emma, the shelter told us that she had been treated with Capstar, so I was going to continue using that but our vet said they don't sell it.

Also our vet told me that there was no pill for cats(because our dogs take sentinel(sp), but that there was a shot for fleas that lasts 6 months :confused:, I've been wondering about it, and that's why he hasn't had one yet.

QueenScoopalot
02-09-2005, 07:39 PM
EWWWWW..the black stuff is flea crap. It's what they nourish the new hatchlings with. I was watching the grossest show on Animal Planet about "Extreme Biters", and fleas ranked 2nd? on the list of 10. They will consume far more blood than they need, but what they excrete goes to feed the millions of offspring they produce. YUCK! :eek: I find that if I wet my fingers with water first, and make a clean part through the fur, then the Advantage goes on easier. ;) Helps to have a helper too. Revolution (I think) can be squirted in one spot along the shoulder blades, and absobes fast. ;) Stock up, as it may be a problem for a while. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
02-09-2005, 10:54 PM
If you wet that black grit (that is what I call it), watch and see turn red ! Flea waste.....blood that they have sucked from their food supply.

Terriable that your Tigger is allergic to the flea treatments... I would be concerned that if he is allregic to the topical treatemnt, that he may be allregic to the injectable stuff... Can they test him somehow, before giving him a full does?

(I am a Mom and I worry about such things)

catmandu
02-10-2005, 08:55 AM
I would get An Ova Colalr,at the Vets,and Flea Drops,Revolution,and sadly,you might have to have the Rugs,and Chairs fumigated!

ratchet22
02-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Diatamaceous earth.

Really! It a natural product that kills fleas and ants.

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=1301&promo=overture&ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=diatom_earth&ovcrn=diatamaceous+earth&ovtac=PPC

THATS WHAT I USE, GREAT STUFF.......I THINK YOU CAN EAT IT, BUT DONT INHALE. THE FIRST TIME WE USED IT, THERE WASNT A BUG ONE IN MY YARD. NOT ONE.

ratchet22
02-10-2005, 09:28 AM
???

NoahsMommy
02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
The injection is called Program. It wont kill eggs, it only causes fleas to stop producing hatchable eggs. (at the vet we called it "birth control for fleas")

That's a good point. If he's allergic to the Advantage/Frontline/Revolution products, I wonder if he's allergic to the injection too? I'd ask the vet, that's important.

I agree with Gary, you may have to flea bomb your house too. Ick, fleas are horrible! Not fun....

DogLover9501
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone!

I don't think they are eggs now, as someone explained that ;)

I think I've tried Advantage and something like "one spot"? on Tigger before and had to wash both off, I called the vet today and the one we see wasn't in, I'm going to call again tomorrow and see what they say.

I agree-fleas are horrible!!

RICHARD
02-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ratchet22
I THINK YOU CAN EAT IT, BUT DONT INHALE.

Yes!!!!!

I'll still be able to run for president!!!!!

ratchet22
02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Richard this stuff is great, I sprinkle it in my yard every year, and wala, no bugs, notta one. I beleive this stuff is like glass to bugs, and any bug that crosses it gets , well you know, sliced up. I am telling you all this is the way to go, especially in your yard. You won;'t be disappointed.

Originally posted by RICHARD
Yes!!!!!

I'll still be able to run for president!!!!!

wolfsoul
02-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Yikes! I remember when my RB cat, Sara, had fleas. She gave them to me!

If you go to Petcetera, they have some natural/herbal flea collars. Don;t get the chemical ones -- though they are more effective, they have been known to kill cats and cause neurological damage due to the harsh pesticides. You know the chemicals they use on those collars are illegal to use on trees/lawns? Because it started to kill people.

You need to remember to wash EVERYTHING that your kitty touches. Hot water kills fleas and fleas can't swim. So if you have any rugs or blankets, wash them good! And vaccuum constantly! The fleas aren't too hard to kill, it;s getting rid of those eggs. If a flea jumps on you, don't just squish it. They are very strong. You have to grind it between your fingers.

Make sure he is on a wormer -- fleas carry tapeworms. Not only can fleas give a cat anemia, but they can give a cat tapeworms, whih will drain a cat of its nutrients.

Good luck!

Rie Rie
02-11-2005, 01:50 PM
You may want to try this stuff, I'm nto sure exactly waht the name of it is, but it's made by Adams, that may even be the name. I used to use it on RB cat years ago. It's a spray on and it doesn't stink. That if they even sell it anymore, but I used to get it at the vets office. You will also have to treat the whole house for fleas. I had a flea problem last summer and I went online and found otu some interseting things about fleas. Just go to the search engine and type in fleas, you'll be amazed what they say about fleas.

DogLover9501
02-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks again everyone!

Yes they are all on wormers.

I was considering bathing him, but I think I want to stay alive ;)

I'm still stuck, I have no idea how to treat him, but I have to try something soon.