PDA

View Full Version : The 100 Abandoned Cats

Denyce
02-09-2005, 10:22 AM
I started a new thread on this since I now have new information and I wanted to be sure as many people would see it as possible.

Thank you doolittleky for the list of shelters. I have composed a letter begging for help from them. I talked with Shirley Fonda and Donna Herrmann this morning. These are the 2 ladies most involved with these cats. John Matrisciano, who is the manager of our local SPCA was going to seize and euthanize all of the cats. Shirley and Donna managed to convince him by way of his supervisor to hold off for a short time. He has given them until "sometime" next week to find other places for these cats. Any that he takes to the SPCA will be destroyed. We have had this problem with John before. He is a real heartless son of a female dog. (I am trying to keep my language clean) Part of the problem is the shelter gets paid from the head office in Philly according to how many animals a year are "processed" Not adopted or given back to their homes but "processed". So getting 100 cats that you can process and destroy without feeding or caring for is a big boost in the monies he receives. It is an ugly thing.

davidp....if your shelter could help that would be wonderful. You can contact me or Shirley. I will pm you my phone number.

Below is the article that appreared in our local paper. Two radio shows also did stories on this situation this morning. This is a real desperate situation for these cats. Most are white, black and white tuxedos, black cats, grays and some champagne colored cats. These cats sooo deserve to be in a loving home.

Posted on Wed, Feb. 09, 2005

Volunteers respond to cat crisis

Three local residents mount rescue operation for more than 100 felines

By Ivonne D'Amato and Lara Brenckle

Centre Daily Times

POTTERS MILLS -- Three Centre County animal lovers began efforts this week to rescue more than 100 cats found abandoned in a home on Egg Hill Road.

John Matrisciano, an officer with the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said he believes the former residents of the house were "collectors," or people who compulsively accumulate large numbers of animals. The identity of the former resident or residents was not available Tuesday.

Northwest Savings Bank took possession of the home in November, according to county records, although the house remained occupied until January. The cats were apparently left behind when the occupants vacated the property, Matrisciano said.

He said he sent a registered letter to the former residents, giving them five days to notify the bank that arrangements had been made for the animals and saying that if they did not respond, the cats would be considered abandoned after that period.

On Tuesday, there were only "one or two more days to go" before that deadline, he said. At that point, because of the sheer number of cats, the SPCA's only option would have been "humane euthanasia," he said.

The SPCA already was overwhelmed, with its volunteers working overtime to deal with 43 mixed-breed dogs seized last week when police raided a backyard breeding operation on a farm in Mifflin County. The dogs were taken to the SPCA's Centre Hall shelter. To make room for them, Matrisciano said, some dogs already in the shelter had to be euthanized.

More than 30 of the dogs have since been placed in new homes, and the owner of the farm, Samuel Y. Hostetler, of Reedsville, has pleaded guilty to charges of keeping animals in unsanitary confinement and failing to provide proper shelter, Matrisciano said.

Members of PAWS heard about the cats' plight and contacted volunteers involved in local animal rescue operations for help. Shirley Fonda, of Patton Township, who recently took in some cats relocated from the grounds of Toftrees Resort and Conference Center, responded by contacting Donna and Jim Herrmann, of Centre Hall. The Herrmanns have previously provided foster care for PAWS.

On Monday and Tuesday, Fonda and the Herrmanns, equipped with just eight cat carriers, removed 23 cats in two trips to the Potters Mills house.

Donna Herrmann said she expected to find only a few animals worthy of adoption, but found many of the cats were healthy and friendly.

"Obviously, somebody loved them at one time. They all immediately came up to us. It's unbelievable somebody would leave these beautiful cats behind," Fonda said.

Determined to save as many cats as possible, the Herrmanns and Fonda asked the SPCA and Northwest Savings for more time for their rescue operation, and were given until next week.

The Herrmanns are housing the rescued cats in cages in their garage until new homes can be found for them.

"I couldn't stand even the thought of having all the cats put down," said Jim Herrmann. The Herrmanns are paying all expenses to shelter the cats. Donna Herrmann said she is working with local veterinarians to try to arrange to have all cats tested for disease and vaccinated.

Ivonne D'Amato can be reached at [email protected]. Lara Brenckle can be reached at [email protected].

lovemyshiba
02-09-2005, 12:49 PM
I saw this story in the paper this morning Denyce.
Unfortunately I cannot take any cats, but please let me know if I can be of assistance with anything.

catmandu
02-10-2005, 09:05 AM
That is Horrible NEWSand we pray,for those CATS!