PDA

View Full Version : Dog Owners BEWARE!

Sugar
12-25-2001, 03:34 PM
My one year old Sheltie recently started having epileptic seizures. The vet had started her on Interceptor for heart worm just four days before the seizures started. He called the company that produces Interceptor to see if there have been any incidences of epilepsy as a side effect of this medication - Of course, they said NO. I've been combing the web and have found two other reports of young dogs having epileptic seizures following the administration of this heartworm medication. If I found two other incidences, of course there are more. Warn all your dog owner friends! It's devastating to watch my beautiful dog suffering from seizures. We've started her on potassium bromide to control the seizures...after many expensive vet bills and a lot of heartache, we can only hope that she will stop seizing and be restored to health...

Karen
12-25-2001, 09:27 PM
Oh, Sugar, thanks for telling us! Does it have to do with the dosage, or is it just something that happens to some dogs, no matter what? Just asking because some Shelties are tinier than they look with that heavy winter coat especially. What's your dog's name? We'll keep you both in our prayers, and now others will know to question their vet before using this medication.

Sugar
12-25-2001, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. Actually, Sugar IS the dog's name...mine is Sheila. Sugar weighs 26.5 pounds and the vet gave her the Interceptor for dogs 26 - 40 pounds in weight. I thought it was strange that he didn't give her the same dosage as my older sheltie who weighs 24 pounds, but I trusted his expertise and gave her the pill. I know you can't make conclusions from just one case, but I'll always think that had he given her the smaller dose, this might not have happened. Sheila

zippy-kat
12-26-2001, 12:41 AM
Hi Sheila, welcome to the board!

I hope this finds Sugar feeling much better!

Thanks for alerting us to this matter. I wish you the best in this 'fight.' Please keep us up-dated on Sugar's progress. Good luck!

Buddy2101
12-29-2001, 10:26 PM
Me and my Sheltie, Teddy, will be praying for you and hope that everythign goes ok! Thanx for the warning, I will make sure to watch this. Thanx again,

Ashley and Teddy Bear