PDA

View Full Version : Awww, such tough guys!

Glacier
02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
My dad and brothers run an oilfield construction company--heavy, hard, dirty work. The men that work for them are pretty rough and tumble crew, no touchy feely, sensitive guys in this group. They work hard, they play hard. But underneath their rough exteriors beat gentle hearts....

Last week one of the crews was working during an extreme cold snap--things break alot at -30C! One of the men spotted something in the ditch near their worksite and went to investigate. I know this guy and frankly if I didn't, I would cross the street to avoid him. He's very rough around the edges! The little thing in the ditch turned out to be a very young grey tabby kitten. She was literally frozen into the snow. This big tough guy ran back to his truck and got a chisel and very gently freed the little one from her icy trap. She defrosted for the rest of the day in his one ton work truck.

He took her back to the shop and said he would take to the SPCA. My dad and brothers, who all proclaim to dislike cats, stopped him. The little kitten is now a shop cat! The shop is huge, well heated and there is always someone around to play with her. During the day she stays in the office part of the building, safe from the trucks ect. The reception and accounting girls take care of her. During the night she can roam more of the building. My dad is one of those people who thinks cats belong outside. He went and bought her a litter box and toys because "she can't go outside, the yard dogs might hurt her!"

I couldn't stop laughing when my sister called to tell me the story (she's one of the office girls). Does the heart good!!

kt_luvs_kitties
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Good job of all the men on that crew! How very kind of them to help the poor lil kitty. I know men always put on a tough face, but I know all to well, that NO MAN with any sense, can refuse helping a little baby kitty! They all get mushy just like us females. :D Ask my husband;)

Kristl
02-07-2005, 01:58 PM
What a cute story! That man has a very kind heart!! Thank God he noticed the little sweetie! Men put on such fronts! My boyfriend proclained to dislike cats too. He can't get enough of any of ours. Too sweet! A job well done!

slick
02-07-2005, 02:57 PM
You can never judge a book by it's cover. I've known many, many big tough guys and deep down inside they are all the same.....hearts of gold and break just as easily as ours. It's a guy thing not let on.

Congrats shop cat! Sounds like you've got a wonder furrever home.

ramanth
02-07-2005, 03:18 PM
AWWWW!!! Can you visit and take pictures?! ;) What did they name her? :D

Glacier
02-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
AWWWW!!! Can you visit and take pictures?! ;) What did they name her? :D

Way too far away for me to visit very often, but I did ask my sister to take her digi-cam to work with her and get some pics!

They are calling her Icy!

ratchet22
02-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Good Job Guys! Great men to the rescue.....:) I LOVE hearing stories like this one.
They act so mean and tough, but really and truly have a great heart! Wish there were more of them out there like them....they are truly special in my book!!!!!:cool:

catnapper
02-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Awwwww.... it does melt the heart to hear stories like that one! Way to go big rough guys! Inside those bulky bodies are giant hearts!

rg_girlca
02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
What a sweet, heartwarming story. I just love big tough sweet ole teddybears.

Laura's Babies
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Some men are whoosies (?) when it comes to cats and kittens.. Mike, a rough tough guy is just no better than we are when it comes to his babies. He goes from tough to mush in a heartbeat, just hand him a cat and he is MUSH! How scared of anyone be of a man on a Harley with a cat?

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-08-2005, 07:23 AM
This story is teaching us a good lesson: never juge people on their "looks"!!

ramanth
02-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
Way too far away for me to visit very often, but I did ask my sister to take her digi-cam to work with her and get some pics!

They are calling her Icy!
Woohoo! And I love that name. :D

catmandu
02-08-2005, 08:31 AM
A Real Man,never stands so tall,than when he helps,the Helpless,be they Human,or Animal,and those are Real Men.

kuhio98
02-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Awwww
Maybe the guys should submit Icy's story to http://www.shopcat.com/

I work in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska with a bunch of rough, dirty "pipeliners". One of them always has filthy hands because of his job as a diesel mechanic. He wanted to show me something on his computer. I didn't want to touch the keyboard because it is covered in greasy "goo". So, he did the honors. He proudly showed me his screensaver of his little black kitty by the name of Mouser. He just melted as he told me about how smart Mouser is. :D

K&L have a little black kitty by the name of Mouser. What a coincidence.

NoahsMommy
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
What a wonderful story!! I'm so glad these great guys were there for her...what a fun life...being lavished with lots of love all day. :)

Catsnclay
02-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Years ago I was in a parking lot getting out of my car and this big old truck whips in next to me, and the guy was HUGE and scary looking. I waited a few minutes to let him go first (yes I was a bit nervous :eek: ) and he gets out of his truck, reaches in to the dash and retrives a teeny tiny baby kitten, puts it on his shoulder and proceeded to walk to the store! I was amazed and touched.

I guess the bigger they are, the softer they really are!! :rolleyes: :D

RICHARD
02-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay

I guess the bigger they are, the softer they really are!! :rolleyes: :D

Exactly what a man wants to hear.....:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D