PDA

View Full Version : Please Welcome the Poopmeister to PT!!!!

BCBlondie
02-07-2005, 10:40 AM
There is actually a very long story behind this, but to make it short.....

Please welcome, Miko (pronounced like meeko), to PT! :D

http://www.akmens-uz.com/DSC02013.JPG

http://www.akmens-uz.com/DSC02021.JPG

http://www.akmens-uz.com/DSC02092.JPG

http://www.akmens-uz.com/DSC02111.JPG

http://www.akmens-uz.com/DSC02113.JPG

(More pics can be seen here: www.akmens-uz.com/Miko.htm )

Part of the story:

He's a deaf 8mo Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix. I found him online, on the Norcal Aussie Rescue website - the shelter page, and totally fell in love. I talked to my dad about it, that I was planning on going down to meet him and wanted to give him a heads up just in case I ended up coming home with him... :X It all depended on how he got along with my pups, what his personality was like, etc... I wasn't about to just go and adopt a dog... I wanted to make sure that he's the right one and fits our family well and that I was ready to commit and everything...

So I did the most rebellious thing I've done in my life.. LOL
I skipped school on Tuesday, and drove down for two hours to the shelter that he was in, with Sesh and Megan in the car. After filling out some form, the shelter people took him out for me and I got to see him... Then, with the help of two shelter workers, the pup met Sesh and Meg... Then they got to run in the little kennel run... The pup wanted to play, but Sesh and Meg were more interested in exploring the territory... :rolleyes: But, they got along great... I thought Sesh could use a playmate... I called my dad and told him that things went great, and that he's a great little pupper... aaaaaand... then I went back into the shelter, and adopted him!! :D :D

He's been GREAT!!!! A smart little poop. I've only had him for 6 days, and he's already housebroken, cratetrained, sits for food, knows down, and we're working on 'stand up' from a down position. I signed him up for obedience classes and we start on the 9th. It will be interesting because I've never taken any of my pups to school before, but I thought it might be fun, and it might really help Miko, working with a professional trainer, since he is deaf.

The ONLY problem I've had with him is that he has never been taught that chewing on people is NOT a good thing... >.< but we've been working on it and he's actually better since the day I got him.

So anyway... that's about it. :D I love him very much and he seems soooo happy here.
And, speaking of the pup, I gotta get running! I have to take the dogs to the dog park before heading off to work! :p

dukedogsmom
02-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Congrats! He's a cutie and he sounds really smart. I'm glad your other dogs like him. I'll bet he's glad to have a forever home now. I can't believe you skipped school to do that. That is so cool.

luvofallhorses
02-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Congrats I love his eyes!! :D :D

vinjashira
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
congratulations! and welcome to PT Miko :D
a gorgeous dog with a great name.
I like the name Miko so much I actually had 3 dogs named Miko in my life :)

cali
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
congrats! he just looks like a double merle BC to me lol which would explain the deafness :p

RobiLee
02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
OMG..I am in love with Miko!!!! I can't believe you kept this a secret for 6 whole days! How could you do this to us?! ;)

He is gorgeous and I'm so glad that you found him because I know he is going to have a great home with you and plus you get to share him with us! Please, please share more pics. I think he is so pretty.

Congrats!!! This is wonderful news! Give Miko a great big welcome hug and kiss from me.

Robin :)

ramanth
02-07-2005, 11:00 AM
He's BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't believe you've kept it a secret this long! :p :p :D

Are you learning sign language to teach him commands?

BCBlondie
02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
Are you learning sign language to teach him commands?
I was kind of... I learned a couple off the internet... but I think I'm just going to make up my own commands that are easier for me to do with him and that he will have an easier time understanding...

BCBlondie
02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by cali
he just looks like a double merle BC to me lol which would explain the deafness :p
No, he's not a double merle BC...
I'm 98% sure I know who his parents are...
If I'm correct, his dad is an Aussie/Collie or Sheltie/something else mix, and his mom is a BC/Lab/something else mix... I have pictures of the parents but I don't have them scanned. The pup's merle color is a LOT like his dad's.... So I just say the pup is an Aussie/BC mix because that is what he looks like. :p

4 Dog Mother
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Wow, it sounds like you are doing a great job with Miko! What a darling he is. I am so proud that you are willing to take this poor pup on so it can have a good life with you and your pups.

We tried to foster a deaf dalmation pup that was about a year old a couple of years ago. He was a beautiful dog but it didn't work out because he wanted to play with the other dogs so bad but he was too rough and we nor the other dogs could get him to understand that he was actually hurting them. They were all hiding from him and I had a lot of trouble making him understand you don't just pee and poop wherever you wanted. I felt so sorry for him but I felt sorrier for my pups who just didn't understand why he was being so mean to them - I decided that having a deaf dog with four others just wasn't working and had to return him to the shelter.

K9soul
02-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Congratulations, Miko is absolutely gorgeous! I look forward to seeing many more pictures of him, and hearing about your progress with signal commands. He looks like an absolute sweetheart. I can definitely see both BC and Aussie traits in him. :)

popcornbird
02-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by RobiLee
I can't believe you kept this a secret for 6 whole days! How could you do this to us?! ;)

I've been trying to convince her to tell PT for the past 6 days. She wasn't listening. :p He he he!

Miko is DARLING Diana....beautiful pup. Congrats again on your new addition.....and thanks for telling PT....FINALLY!!!!!!!

BCBlondie
02-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I've been trying to convince her to tell PT for the past 6 days. She wasn't listening. :p He he he!

Miko is DARLING Diana....beautiful pup. Congrats again on your new addition.....and thanks for telling PT....FINALLY!!!!!!!
:p :p :p
:D

lute
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
CONGRATS!!!! he's beauiful!!!

WELCOME MIKO!!!! :D :D :D

bckrazy
02-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie

http://www.akmens-uz.com/DSC02092.JPG

omg, I am SO jealous! he is the most beautiful pup ever ^_^ I love his name, too! you are so awesome Di, for saving him! you're the coolest :)

I'm glad you told, because I was about to tell everyone... lmao... Now, I just have to see when I can drive down to see him...

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Congrats!:D And welcome to PT Miko!! What a cute little fella!;)

LuvinMyAussieBoy
02-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Wow! Is that ever a gorgeous Aussie, you did the irght thing in rescuing him, and hes deaf too! I hope you have an awesome time with him. He sounds perfect and, I just LOVE his markings!:eek:

anna_66
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Shame, shame, shame on you http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/nonono.gif I can't believe you kept this secret for sooooo long!

He is absolutely stunning, I just love himhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/love4.gif

Congratulations and Welcome to PT Miko!
Now we better see new pictures more often!!

Corinna
02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
sounds like you were too Busy training to be on the computer . Good for you. Bad for us to have to wait but looks like it was worth the wait.

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
WOW, Di! He's gorgeous:D:D I'm sooo glad you actually got him! (I had a feeling you would though:p)

Kfamr
02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Congrats.

Originally posted by anna_66
Shame, shame, shame on you http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/nonono.gif I can't believe you kept this secret for sooooo long!

You're one to talk! :p

Cincy'sMom
02-07-2005, 04:55 PM
he is gorgeous!! Congrats!!!

tatsxxx11
02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Welcome Home Miko! And a big, warm welcome to Pet Talk:) Oh, what a gorgeous puperoo you are!!!:) And what a GREAT job your Mom's doing, getting you settled! What a happy transition to your forever home! You're going to have such fun at school, Miko, and with Megan and Sesh:) Can't wait to hear all the happy updates! Lots of hugs to Megan, Sesh and Miko!:) Sandra

KYS
02-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Congratulations he is beautiful!!

countrycowgirl
02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
congrats!!!! he is absolutly gorgous!!!!

Holly's mom
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Congratulations on the beautiful addition to your fur family. Miko is just beautiful. Can't wait to see lots more pictures of this beautiful boy.:)

slleipnir
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Yay, glad you posted about him ^__^ He's such a handsome man :D

sammy101
02-07-2005, 08:11 PM
what a gorgeous boy!:eek: :D Welcome to PT,Miko!
and congrats on the new addition

chocolatepuppy
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Congratulations on your new pup. Miko is adorable! :)

DogLover9501
02-07-2005, 08:26 PM
:eek: He is so gorgeous, Di!!

Welcome to PT, Miko :D

My Peanuts
02-07-2005, 08:35 PM
OMG! Welcome to PT Miko! I'm so jealous Di! :D He's stunning.

Giselle
02-07-2005, 09:08 PM
:eek: What a beautiful pup!!!!! For a second, I thought you got your other dog back, and my heart was pounding until I scrolled down to the text.:o

Where did you sign up for ob. classes? I'm planning to enroll Giselle in a class, but the prices are absolutely crazy.

So *that's* where you've been;)

Suki Wingy
02-07-2005, 10:01 PM
oh, he is so beautiful! WELCOME MIKO!! You're lucky your dad lets you adopt dogs. My parents are really strick on the one dog thing, even when I'm older and working!:( ("When you get your own house, you can have as many dogs as you want.") They say we're waiting untill the time is right for another. Probably the last day of school, 2006. (It's a tradition to adopt dogs on the last day so we have all summer for them to bond w/ us and for them to get used to us and their new home before we have to leave everyday for school.)

bckrazy
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
oh, he is so beautiful! WELCOME MIKO!! You're lucky your dad lets you adopt dogs. My parents are really strick on the one dog thing, even when I'm older and working!:( ("When you get your own house, you can have as many dogs as you want.") They say we're waiting untill the time is right for another. Probably the last day of school, 2006. (It's a tradition to adopt dogs on the last day so we have all summer for them to bond w/ us and for them to get used to us and their new home before we have to leave everyday for school.)

I know, isnt she soo lucky to have all her gorgeous pups!? My parents are the same, at least they said I can adopt a pup this summer! That's definitely a better time for me, because yeah, it gives me a lot more training/bonding time. And this years homework is horrendous. But it's been so hard to wait, I made the fatal mistake of going to the spca yesterday, and I almost died when I met this Australian Cattle Dog puppy... she was sooo sweet... :(

Karen
02-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Oh, welcome, Miko! You are a handsome boy, and I know some sign language, so we'd get along okay. I could teach you ASL for cookie!

dogs_4_me
02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Congratulations on your new addition :) Miko is adorable!!!

shais_mom
02-07-2005, 10:46 PM
well you know I fell in love with him when you showed me his pic!
I am so glad you saved him!!!
He has a great home!! :)

jazzcat
02-07-2005, 11:11 PM
He's gorgeous!!! Congrats and welcome to PT handsome!

zippy-kat
02-07-2005, 11:34 PM
*sigh* what dreamy, dreamy eyes...

Congrats, on the new addition!

BCBlondie
02-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Giselle
Where did you sign up for ob. classes? I'm planning to enroll Giselle in a class, but the prices are absolutely crazy.

So *that's* where you've been;)
Signed up for Basic Obedience 1 at the Oakland SPCA (or should I call it the East Bay SPCA now?)... Classes were $125.. >.< I checked a few days ago and the Berk. Humane Society classes are cheaper by 15 bucks. I chose the SPCA because I believe there's a guy there that actually works with deaf dogs so maybe I'll be able to meet him sometime.

Thanks everyone!! :D

Cazi
02-08-2005, 01:39 AM
He is absolutely gorgeous. He has the 'kind eye' look about him and Amber will be jealous of that tail :D

cloverfdx
02-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Congratulations Di, he is gorgeous. Welcome to PT Miko.

What a beautiful pup!!!!! For a second, I thought you got your other dog back, and my heart was pounding until I scrolled down to the text.
Did i miss something? :confused:

cyber-sibes
02-08-2005, 09:04 AM
What a beautiful doggie!!:) I'll bet the training classes will be a great experience - has the trainer worked with deaf dogs before? i't great that you got to adopt him. He'll probably take alot of cues from your other dogs, too, as fas as behavior & "the rules" go. Congratualations!!!

CamCamPup33
02-08-2005, 09:43 AM
DI! You never told me you got another pup!!

Congratulations, and Miko, you are such a cutie.. :)

luckies4me
02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Awww, what a sweetie! How great that you took this pup and gave him a home. Congrats!

jenfer
02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Congrats to the new family member!!! :D

pitc9
02-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Congrats... he is sooo handsome!!!
OMG!!:eek:

You've done a wonderful thing!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

EssTer
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
:eek: GORGEOSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congradulations....HeĀ“ssuch a cutie pie.. I just wanna steal him LOL... :D Hope we will be able to see more pics, Diana!!!!
Congrats again :D

wolfie
02-08-2005, 12:39 PM
CONGRATS!!! :D :D :D

I'm so jealous - he's beautiful. I'd love to rescue an aussie someday. ^_^

wolf_Q
02-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Congratulatlions!! Miko is a GORGEOUS dog! I love his markings and those beautiful blue eyes of course! :D

Vette
02-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow what a pretty dog!! love the eyes. :D

BCBlondie
02-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks again everyone! :D

I will be taking more pictures shortly... I just received a new charger in the mail (THANKS amazon.com!!) because the poop chewed on the one cord I needed the most! So, when I have time, I'll take more pics and post them. :)

sabies
02-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Congratulations! He's beautiful!

Giselle
02-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Ooh, the East Bay SPCA. I looked at their program awhile ago and found that they had three step-by-step programs. You know, like there's Basic 1, Basic 2, and Intermediate. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try Basic 1, because it says it shows the "first steps to a recall". Giselle also knows Sit and Down, so we're not *that* new. Let us know how the classes go! I wanted to go to Berk. Humane Society's classes, but they were all on weekday nights (LOL). I really want to try the East Bay SPCA's Agility program in the summer, though:)

Good Luck and Post pics!!!!!

tikeyas_mom
02-08-2005, 10:38 PM
he is so beautiful.... oops handsome ;).. what a sweet face!!!

flamepony12
02-08-2005, 10:43 PM
oohh, it took me a while to catch on!! :D haha! he's adorable!! congrats, Di!! :D:D