PDA

View Full Version : Websites (help please)

wolf_Q
02-07-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm not really sure how to word this or what I'm asking really, so just make as much sense of this as you can...;)

I have a website but it's really crappy. I made it a looooooooooong time ago and haven't done much updating at all since then. It's just a free geocities website...like using the 'drag and drop' type method of uploading pictures, etc. One of the reasons I rarely update it is because the geocities pagebuilder takes forever to load on my computer and it's always freezing.

I'm also really stupid in this department. I have no clue how to do html, etc....It's all just a bunch of codes to me....:o I can make graphics (though not the best) with Photoshop but that's about it.

After talking to Aly I discovered I have Microsoft FrontPage on my computer already but I don't know how to use that either.

I'd like to somehow figure out how to make a website that is easy to update...it would be extra nice if I could work on it without having to be online too. It would be nice to have a domain name I know that I'd have to pay for it but a place to get that cheaper would be nice to know about...and affordable/reliable web hosting.

I need some umm help in figuring out how to do this....anything is appreciated, I feel so clueless! :o

BCBlondie
02-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Frontpage is easy. Do you have Microsoft Word? It's actually a LOT like that program. To add pics, you click the little picture icon, to make text bold, or to center it, everything is at the menu at the top. To change the page background, you right-click on the page and go to Page Properties. The program is pretty self-explanatory... BUT, the thing with using an off-line website builder is that you will need to get an FTP program to upload your website onto the internet. There are plenty of free ones you can get. Basically, you log on using your name, website address, and stuff, and then you find the folder that your website is located in, and you upload it.

I was also using geocities for a while. Then I got a GREAT host ((Audrey :D ))... and then I thought it would be fun to get my OWN website too... Ashley recommended a good, very cheap host here:
http://magicomm.net/

I get 200MB of space for only $1 a month, and buying my own domain was like $7... The only problem with them is that, apparently, their tech support sucks.... But I haven't had any problems because I'm pretty much on my own and I pay by credit card and do everything myself... And when I DID have a question, they did eventually reply...

So with the host - it depends on how much you're willing to spend, and how much space you need.

I hope that helped...
If you have any other questions, you can IM me... You know my sn... :p

slleipnir
02-07-2005, 11:51 AM
If you do want a place for free than I can offer you a spot on my domain. No adds and enough space.

It is different from geocities, but I could help you with it if you need any ^__^ I wouldn't mind helping with other things too if you need. Let me know (I think I offered a while ago but I don't remmeber what came of it..:rolleyes: )

MariaM
02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I was actually going to make a thread for the same thing lol. Good thing I saw this one first.

Lexi_Lover
02-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I made 3 on www.freeservers.com its free of course, or there is one where you can pay, the free has pop-ups(unless you have a pop-up blocker) and the one with a fee, has no pop-ups!:D

Aspen and Misty
02-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Amy, I too am looking for a website host. I don't know anything about HTML's either and that is what has stopped me so far! I need one, desperately, for my animal Rescue. I feel I could reach many more people with a actual web page.

Good luck, I'll let you know if I find anything as I continue to search!

Ashley

wolfsoul
02-07-2005, 08:46 PM
www.freewebs.com . Easiest thing ever. No html needed!

wolf_Q
02-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! Di I messed with FrontPage the other night and does seem fairly easy to use, I think it just takes some messing with like photoshop.

Originally posted by slleipnir
If you do want a place for free than I can offer you a spot on my domain. No adds and enough space.

It is different from geocities, but I could help you with it if you need any ^__^ I wouldn't mind helping with other things too if you need. Let me know (I think I offered a while ago but I don't remmeber what came of it..:rolleyes: )

That would be great Audrey! Yes I do remember talking to you about it a while ago but I forgot about it. :o Is there a program I would need to d/l to work it or how would this work?

Vette
02-08-2005, 05:04 PM
HTML is the fun part. :D i tought myself years ago. i will admit,, i still cant make webpages worth a crap though. LOL

here are some sites that i found useful when i was new to HTML

http://www.lissaexplains.com/basics.shtml

http://www.annabella.net/html.html

http://www.htmlhelpcentral.com/html.php

slleipnir
02-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
That would be great Audrey! Yes I do remember talking to you about it a while ago but I forgot about it. :o Is there a program I would need to d/l to work it or how would this work?

Yeah, you can get them for free at downloads.com. I use smartFTP but I don't know that it's free? Mine says it expired 400 days ago but for osme reason I can still use it o_O' FTP explorer though, I believe is free :)

Vette
02-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I use http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/