PDA

View Full Version : big belly

Stenograsaurus
11-08-2001, 05:15 PM
My hamster is going to have babies!! I got her from the pet store about two weeks ago. She was in with other hamsters so they couldn't guarantee she was not pregnant. How hard would it have been to separate boys from the girls? She's gotten so big the last couple of days. When I had a hamster when I was little, my mom always flushed the babies when I was at school. I know, it's cruel. I definitely didn't inherit my love of animals from her. Since I"ve never dealt with this before, I don't know what to do. Any advice on how to take care of hamster babies?

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 06:16 PM
Sorry, I've never had a hammie before but good luck--kisses to the expecting mom! Let us know when the 'big day' arrives!

AdoreMyDogs
11-08-2001, 08:29 PM
Give the cage a nice cleaning now, while she's still got the little munchkins in her belly. Do not clean her cage for at least a week after the babies are born because when I worked at the pet store, I learned the hard way that when a hammie is stressed, it has very little maternal behaviors. I cleaned a cage of a new mom hammie and she was so stressed at the "new smells" that she stuffed her entire litter of babies in her pouches and frantically ran around the cage furiously. By the time she un-stuffed the hammies from her pouches, they were all suffocated and dead :mad:

Make sure she has her own smell and if it becomes offensive, just remove the soiled bedding from the corners that she uses and throw some clean, dry bedding to cover the odor and the bare spot. Avoid using cedar, instead I recomend pine or corn cob. Cedar smells the best, but it's not the best choice for the sensetive babies. Also avoid the chlorophill pine (pine with some green chips mixed in) because it is not natural and has alot of dye in it to make it that bright. They sell great nesting material that the hammies love to chew up and make a nest out of, especially when they are expecting. I don't like to use kleenex or toilet paper, because they are either bleached or they have been dyed, and sometimes have chemical fragrences which can harm those most delicate pinkies. Avoid handleing the babies until they have hair, and only if mom is not too stressed out about it. If she is not very hand tame, then it might not be a good idea to hold her babies until they are pleanty too big to stuff in her pouches.

Be careful...even if she is nice now, and she has not ever bitten you before...beware, mom hammies pack a powerful punch with those teeth! I had a new momma bite clear through my thumb nail :eek: . Just keep that in mind.

Hammies are not very maternal, nor are they very good mothers. They often eat their young, or sometimes, part of their young. She may eat off only a foot, leaving the rest of the baby to eventually die. They have been known to have absolutely no interest in the pinkies, and let them die. If she starts eating her young, just leave the room and let nature take it's course. You won't be able to raise or save those babies, and it is probablly the quickest way for them to go, gross as it may be.

As long as miss hammie is not stressed and healthy and hand tame, you can do little more. Just remember that when the babies begin walking, you will have to lower the water bottle so they can reach it, but be so careful that it is not low enough to soak up all the bedding, as wet bedding is another cause of wet tail, and never put a water dish in with them. I would make sure mom has really good, nutritious food, no lettuce ever, minimal veggies (as they cause wet tail, or chronic diheriha which quickly kills), put some hammie vitamins in her water, and to her seed mix, maybe add a little hay cube, it's fun to chew on and it's healthy.

Don't be too surprised if mom eats any or all of her kids...not that uncommon. When we had our many litters of hammies, we always either played gentle and quiet classical music, or we avoided music until the babies were gaining visible strentgh, and mom was not showing any signs of stress. I just really tried to minimize the noise for the new mom for at least a few days.

Don't worry and enjoy :) Chances are that mom will raise her babies like a good little hammie. All you will be able to do is provide safe bedding, minimize stress, and provide all the healthy stuff that will make mom produce healthy milk, and help boost those kids to grow up big and strong.

Also note...I don't know if you knew this, but they will start reproducing soon after they are weaned...babies can have babies, litterly. So seperate those little boys from those little girls and mom as soon as they are eating and drinking on their own...also, are they dwarf hammies, or syrian hammies? Dwarf hammies are much, much more social then syrian hammies...syrian hammies will fight and kill once they begin to establish territory.

I assume you have seen baby pinkies (baby hammies, gerbals, mice, rats)? If you have never seen them, which you probablly have, They are certainlly not the cutest things until they get hair :) They still look like fetuses because they are so under developed! Brace yourself :) But they are SOOOO cute once they get their hair :)

Good luck :) I wish the best for you and for mom hammie :)

aly
11-08-2001, 09:22 PM
Wow Leslie. Thats a bunch of great information! Now I know who to go to if I ever get a hamster and need help :)

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 10:17 PM
I've always thought that pinkies look like slightly chewed pieces of bubble gum! lol

purrley
11-09-2001, 07:04 AM
WOW Leslie - got a good education on Hamsters today - didn't know a thing about them before. :)

AdoreMyDogs
11-09-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat:
<STRONG>I've always thought that pinkies look like slightly chewed pieces of bubble gum! lol</STRONG>

Hehehe...LOL LOL :D They DO look like wiggeling wads of chewed up gum :D Maybe that's why mom hammie so often eats their young
:eek: Maybe they are just trying to blow the biggest bubbles :)

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Stenograsaurus
11-09-2001, 10:35 AM
Leslie, thank you very much for such helpful information. I am going to print out your post and put it by Baby's cage. I can't believe they breed to fast. I have a home for one so I'm hoping at least one makes it. I don't know what I would do with any other ones if they'd survive. I will of course advertise in the paper. Any other suggestions? Do pet shops buy them from individuals?
Oh, Leslie, sorry, I didn't answer your question. She's a Golden Hamster (I think that's it).

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Stenograsaurus ]

AdoreMyDogs
11-09-2001, 11:31 AM
Yeah usually pet stores will take the little baby hammies, but make sure it's a clean pet store, look over their rodent section and make sure you don't see tons upon tons of hammies already, otherwise they may end up as snake food or else they may be forced to live in the same cage and begin to fight one another until they are sold :(

Also, it's good if the pet store dosen't sell snakes, just to be on the safe side.

And golden hamsters are one of the hamsters that will start fighting not too long after they are completely weaned, so tell your friend that if she/he wants one, to make sure she/he only takes one unless they have a seperate cage for the other.

If I was near you I'd take one :) Hammies are SO cute :) I rescued a female golden hamster and had her for a couple of years. She was going to be put to sleep because she escaped and became semi wild, but she tamed up in just 2 days. She ended up being a little sweet heart.

Good luck and have fun :)

Stenograsaurus
11-09-2001, 02:05 PM
I'm a grandma!!!!!!! My mom just called me about 15 minutes ago and Baby is having her babies now. She already has about six. Mom just went to my house and Bri wanted to check on her so they went up to her room. Bri started playing with her and said, oooh. Here she was having a baby. Mom immediately said, put her back. Then she noticed about six in there already and she's having more. Baby is having them in her litter box. :eek:

zippy-kat
11-09-2001, 02:59 PM
Congrats!!!!

So...will you be adding more pics to your signature? lol ;)

Stenograsaurus
11-09-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat:
<STRONG>Congrats!!!!

So...will you be adding more pics to your signature? lol ;)</STRONG>

I don't think I have enough room to add them all!!! :D ;)

zippy-kat
11-09-2001, 06:59 PM
How many hammies now, Granny? ;)

AdoreMyDogs
11-10-2001, 01:06 PM
congrats on the babies :) I hope everything goes well for everyone :)

Are you able to count the pieces of chewed up gum yet :D :) :D ?

I am sure everything will be fine...and I sure do wish I lived closer, honestly I'd take one in a heartbeat!

zippy-kat
11-10-2001, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs:
<STRONG>Are you able to count the pieces of chewed up gum yet :D :) :D ?</STRONG>

LOL :D

Stenograsaurus
11-10-2001, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs:
<STRONG>
Are you able to count the pieces of chewed up gum yet :D :) :D ?

</STRONG>

hehehehe. There's seven of them. I'm going to say something to some people at Church and to the parents in my daughter's class. I hope I can find good homes for all of them.

zippy-kat
11-10-2001, 07:52 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/dancehamster.gif http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/spinninghamster.gif http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/dancehamster.gif http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/spinninghamster.gif http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/dancehamster.gif http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/spinninghamster.gif http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/dancehamster.gif
7 babies, yay!

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

zippy-kat
11-12-2001, 10:39 AM
How are the babies doin'? ;)

purrley
11-12-2001, 10:51 AM
That is some adorable animation zippy-kat - loved it :D :D and yes, how's the little hammies gettin along?

Daisy's Mom
11-12-2001, 06:16 PM
Ha Tonya, I love that page!! :)

I am so exicted for you! Hammies are sooo adorable! I wish I could have one! Enjoy the sweet little babies!

Stenograsaurus
11-12-2001, 07:17 PM
Zippy-Kat, what cute animations!!! The babies don't look like that yet. Their eyes aren't opened yet. There are still seven of them so she hasn't eaten any yet. I think they look cute. Some of them look like they might be grey. It's hard to tell because I'm looking at them through rose colored plastic. I had a scare yesterday with them. We were in my daughter's room yesterday and Baby came out to see us. One of the babies was still latched on and fell off outside of the outhouse. Baby picked it up and I thought she started eating it. The baby squealed. I told my girl to get out of here. I didn't want her to witness that. Here Baby just picked it up and took it back with the rest of them. She's such a good mom. I hope I can find homes for them. I don't want seven hamsters!!!!! :eek:

Stenograsaurus
11-20-2001, 11:54 AM
Well, Zippy-Kat, you have to take one of those animated hamsters away. We're down to six now. :confused: Didn't see what happened to it (thank God). I'm assuming there was something wrong with it so the mother disposed of it the hamster way!!!

furrykittenlover
11-20-2001, 02:26 PM
:( Aww that is sooo sad. But don't feel bad. My friend's gerbils just had babies and there was three the first day and then next day there was only 2. :( Good luck with the rest of the babies :)

zippy-kat
11-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Poor lil' hammie. Maybe 'mommy knows best'...