PDA

View Full Version : Hamster care

Stenograsaurus
10-30-2001, 03:11 PM
We just bought our first hamster Friday. She's the cutest little thing. My little girl named her Baby. My question to everyone out there is what all medical care does she need? Do I need to take her to the Vet or get her spayed or anything like that?

DNova
10-30-2001, 10:53 PM
Feed her, clean her cage at least once a week. Give her some cardboard tubes and a wheel, and you've got a happy hamster. :) I've bred hamsters, and never had the need for vet care.

Have fun!

Stenograsaurus
10-31-2001, 09:36 AM
Thanks!! I didn't think they needed much!! She has a little litter box in the corner of her cage and she uses that as a home!!! She has bedding and food stored in it. She made it into her house. I guess she didn't like her house so she's making her outhouse into one. I know she loves her wheel.

zippy-kat
10-31-2001, 09:55 AM
Here's an idea--if the wheel gets squeaky, you can oil it with veggie oil! I did this when I had my mice and gurr-bulls (gerbils).
Congrats on the newbie!

Steno--I LOVE your horsies! What are their names? ages? breeds?

Logan
10-31-2001, 12:48 PM
Great minds think alike, Tonya! We oil our hamster wheels with Pam Vegetable Oil Spray!

Hey, Stenagrasaurus, what made you switch to a hamster? I guess the hermit crab experience was too much! Well, we have hamsters too! Mine have never gone to the vet...but I will admit that one time our Rusty (he's at the Rainbow Bridge now :( ) had an infected eye, and I went and got antibiotic drops for him from the vet! LOL!

Hamsters, unlike hermit crabs, want to live alone. We have two, in separate cages. They can look at eachother, but that's it. And they multiply easily, but as long as you have only one, I think you're fine. I've never heard of spaying a hamster....

Their lifespans are unfortunately, quite short. We had one (Rusty), who lived to be 2 1/2. Phoebe, our oldest hamster, is almost 2 now, and Olivia, is still a baby. She came to live with us in June.

Watch out for the cats and dogs......not a good combination (trust me on that one :eek: ). And you will probably find out that Baby's goal in life is to escape from the cage, so make sure she's in good and tight. It is no fun crawling around on your hands and knees to find them! Sure made me wish my closet floors were cleaner, everytime Rusty or Phoebe escaped!

HAVE FUN!!!

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Stenograsaurus
10-31-2001, 02:32 PM
hehehehe, Logan. Yeah, the hermit crab experience was too traumatic on the little one!!! She says she never wants another one. :D :eek: I didn't think there was any reason for vet visits or spaying, but when in doubt, ask. I didn't wnat to be a bad mom. I know their average life span is around two years. Our wheel is plastic. I don't know how well that will hold up. I had a hamster when I was little. Everytime she escaped, I found her in the same spot in my closet. I never learned to keep my closet clean though. I'm gong to move Baby to my daughter's room. Her door is always shut and that way if Baby gets out, the animals can't get to her (unless Baby sneaks under the door).
Zippy-kat, thanks for the compliment on the horses. Their names are Yankee and Rebel. Rebel is in the first picture. He's an eight year old Quarter Horse. Yanke is a 16 year old Arabian. I've had them for six years now. I wish I had a little more time for them, but that will come when my daughter gets older and more dependent.

zippy-kat
10-31-2001, 02:47 PM
I just came back from the Arabian Nationals! It was soooo much fun! I met alot of Huckleberry Bey's offspring! (Bey Star to name one! absolutely gorgeous!!)

I ride every chance I get--my fav. riding horse is a qt. horse named Mortimer. Not much of a name but one of THE sweetest horsies around!

Here's a pic of a BIG guy named Iced T. I've never ridden him, but he's a pretty one.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/038/l5/uK/5n/E362926.jpg

I want a horse!! I can't wait till I have the finances (and time and space) to take care of one!