PDA

View Full Version : Medical Emergency...Do I really need to get my prairie dog neutered?

luckycharm1313
10-28-2001, 03:06 PM
I have a female prairie dog named Terkina. She is about 6 months old, and as far as I'm concerned, she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I would hate to see anything bad happen to her. That is why I want to know if it is really necessary to get her "fixed." I mean, she isn't broken, right? I don't know how she'll get when she's in "rut" but from what I have read, female prairie dogs just start building nests. It's the males who get all moody. However, I have also read that it is still a good idea to get females spayed. I did some looking around, and found a veterinarian who has worked on prairie dogs before, and I made Terk an appointment for tomorrow. Did I do the right thing or is it not worth the risk of something happening during the surgery? I can still back out if I need to. I could use some advice...quick! :eek:

Karen
10-28-2001, 03:22 PM
From PetPlanet.com:

It is also very important to get your prairie dog spayed or neutered before he or
she enters their first winter. If you don't, your adoring pup will undergo a personality change once breeding season starts. He or she will become more distant and aggressive, and generally just won't be the prairie dog you've come to love. For this reason, among others, spaying or neutering is an absolute must.

Other sites say similar things. As long as your vet has done them before, I wouldn't worry abit, go ahead and have it done, Terkina'll be fine! :) I know female rabbits, who are similarly classified by many as rodents, have a tendancy to get ovarian cancer if they aren't spayed, so just in case it's similar in PD's, I'd go ahead with the procedure!

Logan
10-28-2001, 03:58 PM
I'm with Karen on this one. Even if you don't run the risk of an unwanted pregnancy, you can avoid other cancer risks. I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially since you have found a vet who has done it before.

Good luck tomorrow! :D

aly
10-31-2001, 03:23 PM
What you've done is absolutely right! You researched and found a qualified vet. Great work, I'm sure you'll be happy you did it when it is all over.

Let us know how it went!

tatsxxx11
10-31-2001, 06:11 PM
Absolutely! Can't wait to hear that little Terkina is home and doing well!! You're a very responsible and loving fur mom!!