PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking about getting a guinea pig

petslover
02-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey ya'll! I am thinking about getting a guinea pig, and was wondering if I could see pictures of what yours live in?

Someone told me that I could get a clear storage box and keep it in there (without the lid of course lol) but do ya'll think that would be ok?

I have done research on guinea pigs for the longest and I think I'm about ready to get one. I just want to see what kinda of living arrangement you have for your guniea pig.

manda_moo87
02-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Guinea Pigs make great pets. :)
I used to have one, a red and white Peruvian named Rusty. I don't have a picture of his cage but it was just a basic rabbit cage from a petstore.

Raven
02-05-2005, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't keep it in a clear storage box. If it's plastic, your guinea pig might chew right through it! They LOVE to chew. I have 2 guinea pigs and I keep them in a metal guinea pig cage. Here is a picture of the kind I keep them in.

guineapiggie13
02-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Visit www.cavycages.com It's a VERY good website. I don't have any pictures of my cage (sorry), but it's a large rabbit starter kit. You can make your own, too. :)

Good Luck with your piggie! :D

carole
02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
I have owned both rabbits and G .Pigs, I think it is nicer if you can provide an outdoor run attached to the cage, like a hutch, then they have plenty room to run about.

Aspen and Misty
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
If you get a Guinie pig - make sure to get a friend!

I have three foster Guinie Pigs, and they love each other very much. It is so sweet to see them together!

If the had Guinie Pigs of my own, I would build them an NIC cage. Alll the comercial cages I have seen are WAY to small!

Ashley

petslover
02-05-2005, 10:03 PM
What ya'll think about this guinea pig cage?

It would be awhile before I got it cause I gotta save up for that , but do ya'll think that would be a good living house for 2 guinea pigs?

petslover
02-05-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444178 1611&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026350&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1107662522191

here is the link

petslover
02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6946&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026350&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1107662522196

or how about this one?

chrissycat21
02-06-2005, 09:24 AM
No storage boxes!!!!

With a storage box your guinea pig will get absolutely no ventilation!

Look here at cages:

www.cavycages.com

I'm in the process of making one now. They are very easy to make and pretty cheap, cheaper than petstore cages, if you can find a place that carries coroplast for a good price. (If you have any Fastsigns near you they carry it!) On the website they also have a place where you can type in where you live and they will tell you where you can find any supplies.

And try not to get a guinea pig from a petstore, they are almost always sick or carrying lice or mites. Try to find atleast 2 of the same sex to adopt.

www.petfinder.org is a great place to look.

Also try looking at cavyspirit.com just to do a little more research, that is one of the best sites I have found so far! :)

Good luck! If you have any questions you can PM me. I check them almost every day!

*edit* didn't realise guineapiggie13 already posted about cavycages.com

*edit (again)* I just looked at the pictures you posted of cages you might buy, the second one (I think it was) is 2 feet by 1 foot. I'd compare that to living in a closet, thats not even enough room for the guinea pig to run around after you add the food bowl, water bowl, hay rack, and hidey house. I had a pet store cage bigger than that, around 2 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet, and they may look big to baby guinea pigs, but males will get an average of 3 pounds they have no room. ;)

petslover
02-06-2005, 11:19 AM
thanks everyone for the advice and all..

I am getting it from one of my friend's who breeds them. She is going to give me as many as I want which will only be like 2 lol!

I won't be getting them for awhile though. Maybe till Spring Break or maybe even the summer.

carole
02-06-2005, 01:26 PM
The more expensive one on wheels is better, but the second one is out of the question, I consider it cruel to house a G Pig in that cage, maybe suitable for a rat, but that is about all, I still think you should get someone to make you one, like a rabbit hutch, with adequate housing and a long run for them to run about in, in NZ they are always housed this way, so they can eat the grass on the lawn, however we donot get snow where I live, so that has to be addressed.

Personally I consider anything less to be cruel, they need to beable to run around , not sit in corners and move from one to another, please consider this and plan it all before going ahead and getting them.

carole
02-06-2005, 01:31 PM
This is what you should be considering, yes they are expensive, but you could get your dad to build one for half the price and perhaps a little less elaborate., and smaller, you don't even need to have the upstairs, just on the ground, but then if you have snow then these probably are ideal, unless you intend to bring them inside then, these are rabbit hutches, so something on a slightly smaller scale would suffice.

As you can see this one is built out of expensive materials, you could build out of much cheaper materials, I think the plan is excellent.

carole
02-06-2005, 01:37 PM
This one is more budget, but I am not so keen on it, because it does not separate their bedding area from the run, but you could build one along these lines, just doing the separating part.

I don't think the run is adequate myself.:)

carole
02-06-2005, 01:41 PM
How about this one, it is affordable, has the bed area and a small run, could be better, but this would not be too bad, what do you think about this one.

carole
02-06-2005, 01:46 PM
This one is similar to the last one, I still think they are a bit small myself, but see what you think about these and price, first one is available from Pet Pals, this one is from Pet smart. IMO the runs need to be longer, otherwise they are adequate.

I personally would not even consider the G pig cages, they are totally too small, shame on them for advertising them, even too small some of them for a Rat, imagine living your life in that small area.

carole
02-06-2005, 01:55 PM
This one is pretty good I think, but it all depends if you are housing them inside of course, but still this gives them a run, which is a top priority really., hope some of these appeal and help your search for a good cage for your future G pigs.:)

luvofallhorses
02-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I have mine in the same one as Raven..they are A LOT of work I hope you're planned for that they need a proper diet of vitamin c,veggies,and fresh water everyday if you do get one please get them a buddy of the same gender imo I have had guinea pigs since I was 11 so I will always have one(I couldn't see myself not having one)..Good luck to you is there a shelter where you can adopt one?? please adopt there are so many gps in shelters just my 2 cents. :) and I hope I don't offend you by all the advice I stated including adopting one it wasn't meant to sound offensive just some friendly advice :D and how old are you?? if you are under 18 are your parents going to let you get one and a buddy for them??

carole
02-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I have to say I think Raven's and your cages are far too small, any chance of housing them in a bigger cage with a run sometime.

wolfie
02-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Piggies make great pets! I have to agree that they do take a lot of work and thought to feed, but they're well worth it. ^_^

Making a cage is the best option, I made one for my piggies, and they love it.

But... if you can't make a cage, or can't find the materials, this petstore cage is excelent (and cheap too!) I have it for my rabbit. You can find it at Petco:
http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=13394&sku=9131809470&tab=6&dept_id=1707&c1=1673&c2=1707&c3=&ct1=Rabbits&ct2=Cages+%26+Habitats&ct3=
yes, it may be a little smaller than what is recommended, but it's not too cramped for 2 piggies. Make sure they get some supervised time out of the cage too.

Good luck!!!

petslover
02-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Well I am looking forward to getting guinea pigs. The only rescue we have is like 2 hours away from him and I know there is no way I can get there, but my friend is going to let me have 2 of them. I can't wait to them. Yes I know they are alot of work and have read alot about them. I know I don't know everything about them, but I think I know enough to get one. Thank you for your advice and no you didn't offend me at all.

luvofallhorses
02-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I have to say I think Raven's and your cages are far too small, any chance of housing them in a bigger cage with a run sometime.

I know that mine is..I am going to get a bigger cage when I get the money and petslover I can't wait til you get them pictures please when you get them:) do you know what breed they are going to be??:D

cocker_luva
02-10-2005, 03:46 PM
i wanna get afew piggies too.

chrissycat21
02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Just keep in mind, guinea pigs need a minimum of an hour of time out of the cage. :)