PDA

View Full Version : Student Who Cooked Pets Won't Face Charges

QueenScoopalot
02-05-2005, 07:32 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/consumer_news/10761751.htm?1c

Posted on Fri, Jan. 28, 2005

Student Who Cooked Pets Won't Face Charges

Associated Press

THOMPSON, Ohio - Police and humane society officials decided not to file charges against a 16-year-old student who skinned and cooked a Guinea pig and a rabbit during a living skills class.

They said Thursday it would have been hard to prove the killings were unnecessary because students did eat some of the meat, and investigators didn't find evidence the animals suffered needlessly.

Authorities said the student killed the rabbit with a bow-and-arrow and used a knife to kill the Guinea pig at home before cooking them in class at Ledgemont High School on Jan. 19.

"From a standpoint of being able to prosecute, we could not find evidence to pursue a cruelty charge," said Sharon Harvey, executive director of the Geauga Humane Society. "Do we disapprove of what happened? Absolutely. But, sadly, what happened is not illegal."

Beto Gage, principal of the school about 35 miles northeast of Cleveland, said living skills teacher, Diana Stevens, lets students prepare meals once a quarter.

The student had asked Stevens if he could catch and cook a wild rabbit and she approved, provided he gut the carcass before class, Gage said.

Students who didn't want to watch were allowed to leave the room.

The boy, whose name hasn't been released, bought the animals at a pet store. He told school officials he bought the animals because he wasn't able to catch a wild rabbit during a hunt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me while I go find my barf bag!

GraciesMommy
02-05-2005, 08:15 PM
How sickening~

kt_luvs_kitties
02-05-2005, 10:24 PM
What a sad story. Poor animals. :(

Pit Chick
02-07-2005, 02:11 PM
If he wasn't able to catch a wild rabbit, then he shouldn't have been allowed to cook the store baught one in class. Why did he shoot it with an arrow if it wasn't wild? And where the hell were his parents?

IRescue452
02-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Dahmer in the making again? Being from Wisconsin I would like to point out that this is how serial killers start out. Is there something wrong with these kids, and the teacher. I hope they get some sort of punishment.

QueenScoopalot
02-08-2005, 06:37 PM
There's something incredibly demented about the whole picture! :mad:

Suki Wingy
02-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Wild cavies were domesticated and became guinnie pigs so that people could eat them. That was to survive though. Now in S. American they are quite a delicassy. I think it was very wrong for that kid to do in class though. Especially if not all the meat was eaten, and he wasn't going hungry.

Oggyflute
02-09-2005, 02:41 AM
The moral standards of this teacher are deplorable. :mad: