PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Cat Room - Immunity to Litter?

christa
02-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Can a cat's poop become immune to litter?

Seriously . . . when we first started using Fresh Step, it smelled wonderful for weeks! We have a Littermaid, so the box always stays clean. Plus we're constantly sprinkling the box with a deodorizer (I think Arm & Hammer).

Here lately, their room stays stinky! Sometimes it even lingers downstairs! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any suggestions? We keep the box super clean! Even after a complete litter change it starts stinking within a few days. I don't know what else to do! Should we change litter brands, AGAIN??? I love Fresh Step . . . but not lately . . . the smell is just gross!

Pleeeeeeeese Help! I know I can't be the only one with this problem!

kimlovescats
02-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Have you changed their food any? Maybe it's the poop smelling differently and not a change in the litter? Just guessing!;)

christa
02-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Have you changed their food any? Maybe it's the poop smelling differently and not a change in the litter? Just guessing!;)

Nope, no food change at all!

jazzcat
02-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Maybe the box itself needs to be cleaned.

We had a warm sunny day here and I spent today scrubbing litter boxes and letting them air out in the sun. It helped the overall smell tremendously. When it was just Ripley or even Jazz, Scout and Ripley the boxes didn't get very dirty themselves but now that we've added the kittens it seems the boxes get icky fast. Right now I have 3 different kinds of litter in 6 boxes trying to see which works best for us. I have Tidy Cat, Fresh Step and Esquisicat from PetsMart. So far Tidy Cat is the worst for building up a gunky layer on the bottom of the box and it doesn't clup well, Esquisicat is entirely too dusty but clumps well and has no perfume scent and Fresh Step is kind of dusty, has a nice scent but it's too strong for me and I think a few of the cats because it gets used the least. I don't know which I will pick for my full time litter.

catcrazylady
02-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Christa I'm thinking it's the poo thats changed and not the litter. I use Fresh Step and I haven't noticed any difference in it lately. Maybe you just got a bad batch? It could also be because little Brodie is growing up! Are you sure it's not a stonger urine smell? I know Brodie is still really young but some of those little boys grow up quicker than others. Nobody has any runny poo do they?

catnapper
02-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I have found that Oust air sanitizer works great! Just make sure the cats are not around when you spray it, and spray up to the ceiling. It has a light pleasant fragrance that covers the litterbox smell, but the fragrance fades fast leaving behind a clean smelling room and no odor of litter at all. I swear by it.

But I can't say it enough, make sure no cats are around when you spray! It says on the label that its "harmful to humnans and pets" (which to me is them covering their hinneys in case of a alwasuit in our sue-happy society :rolleyes: ) But you need one spurt and its done. By the time the cats return its been filtered through the air and not settling like other heavy fresheners. I've been using this about a year now and nobody has shown any ill effects, but I use it with one spritz and go. I do spray a whole room for five minutes straight, etc. One spritz and that is really all you need. I'm still on can #1.

christa
02-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think it's probably Brodie . . . growing up. :(

I guess we need to get him "fixed" before he starts spraying.

catmandu
02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Now,that I have changed to Nutro Max Complete Indoor Senior,there has been,a lot less Litter Box PU,and the stools,are a lot firmer,and smaller!

christa
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I have found that Oust air sanitizer works great!

I'll try Oust! I have always wondered if that works, and I guess you answered my question! I will have to be EXTRA careful though, because of Josie's asthma.

Craftlady
02-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I use Fresh Step (love it) but sometimes our 2 boxes need "stirred" on occassion and I might add just a tad of new. I'm constanting scooping but sometimes odors do linger :( I also use "room deodrant spray" after a particular smelly scoop.

sirrahbed
02-06-2005, 06:24 PM
I also use Fresh Step exclusively and have not noticed any odor at all. (well, except for fresh deposits) I do keep a can of Febreze air spray in the same room and give it a squirt now and then but that is mostly for the nice scent. All of the boxes are in my laundry room.

RICHARD
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Jazz,

Should you ever want to move out to Cah lee fun nee ah
I only have one cat box to clean..
;)

When I clean out the cat box I empty all the litter and place a good spash of chlorine bleach and water , swish it about, and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. I flip it over, let it air dry and fill it up again...

I use Johnnycat scented/unsented and find it's ok....

mruffruff
02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
I have 8 litter boxes in the same room (and one outside). I use Special Kitty scented clumping from Walmart. For a while it was extremely odiforous. I put 3 Glade plug-ins in the room and it really seems to help.

Occasionally I need to give the ceiling a quick shot of air spray, but that's only when someone doesn't cover.!!!!!

Mary

NoahsMommy
02-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I think that because litterboxes are made with plastic, they tend to hold odors. Maybe a quick cleaning of the plastic and metal parts of the Littermaid?

Also, I'm not sure on the ventilation of the room your boxes are in, but I know that helps alot. We have four in our den, one in the living room and one in the bedroom and because those are more open areas (has windows) it doesn't stink. But Livvy has her own box in her walk-in closet and I have to air out that room, even with daily cleanings.