PDA

View Full Version : hermit crab help

Stenograsaurus
10-14-2001, 06:10 PM
We had gotten a hermit crab Friday. It is for my four year old. Today we were up in my bedroom and I was bagging up old clothes. Her and the hermit crab were sitting on the bed playing. After about the fourth, He doesn't even pinch me when he's falling, the light went on. I said, Are you deliberately letting him fall? She said, Yes. I explained to her that the reason why he dind't pinch was because he felt safe with her. If she kept letting him drop, he wouldn't feel safe and he might pinch her. She put him away then. A couple of hours later, she picked him up and the first thing he did was pinched her. Well, she started flinging her hand and he flew one way and his shell flew the other. Boy do they look ugly when there's no shell on them. :eek: I got him back in his shell as soon as I could but he never fully went back in his shell. The top half of his body is out. Has this ever happened to anyone? Could he be moulting, reattaching himself to his shell or dead? His body is still the same color it was.

Logan
10-14-2001, 10:22 PM
I know very little about hermit crabs...and we've had them for years! Make sure that there are plenty of alternative shells for him. I don't know if he'll survive, but he needs "options" now that his world has been rocked. When they are dying, they usually come out of their shells, and you will see the color lighten significantly. I think I would leave him alone for a few days, and not try to touch him.

I also have read (and I am not sure whether to believe this) that they are not "loners". They like companionship, so you might consider having more than one.

And I have learned, the smaller the crab, the less likely they are to pinch. I've only been pinched once, by a BIG one that we had one time. It took running pretty hot water over him to get him to turn loose and I was bleeding! Thankfully, my daughter has never been pinched. She also doesn't mess with them very much. :( Guess who gets to do that??? :rolleyes:

Hope your daughter has learned to be careful with him now.

aly
10-14-2001, 11:05 PM
I don't know much about hermit crabs either, but I have had a few. Like Logan, I heard that they like companions so I've always gotten them in pairs. They are fun little things. I hope yours isn't dying :( :(

Stenograsaurus
10-15-2001, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately I think he's gone. The majority of his body is still out and when I shine the light in on him, I can see his bottom half. There is no pink in his shell and he has a pretty nasty smell.
I had also read that they like company but my foster daughter only has one and she's had him for three months now. That's why my daughter wanted one. I think my little one learned a pretty important lesson. She's heartbroken over his loss.
I forgot to mention that his color has not lightened at all. He's still the same color. What's up with that?

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Stenograsaurus ]

Logan
10-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Sorry you lost him :( . I was sort of nervous when you said he came out of his shell. Since I heard they would die if that part of their body was ever touched....but I was wishing for a miracle and a second chance for your daughter.

I'm sure she has learned her lesson.... :) , but it doesn't make it any easier, does it?