PDA

View Full Version : what does everyone feed?

Abby&Buddy'sMom
02-05-2005, 08:11 AM
My two kittys are eating "Chicken Soup" food, adult light formula, because miss Abbys is lets say..a bit plump:eek: They absolutely love it:) What kinda food do you all feed to your kittys? abby and buddy Abby is the black medium hair

catmandu
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
What a Great Cat DynamicDuo,and at the Found Cat Hotel,the Food,that they LOVE,is the Nutro MaxComplete Care Indoor Senior,and they,are thriving,on it!

Laura's Babies
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
This is funny!! Did you see this thread?http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70772

I JUST asked about that yesterday!! I saw that one that Mike had and his babies LOVE it but I noticed Yetta has packed on a lot of weight while I was gone.. I don't want mine gaining anymore weight. I can't let Amy get any bigger because it would make it to hard for her back legs to hold her up but it IS cheaper and feeding as many as I seem to have here lately, I could use "cheaper" for awhile....

ChrisH
02-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Aw, both your kitties are beautiful! :)

We don't have Chicken Soup over here, I'm not sure Ebby would like it anyway, she is a bit of a stick-in-the-mud with her food. She is fed the Royal Canin Fit 32 and really likes it. A bit too much actually, she is 12lbs and climbing so I think the next bag I get will be the 'light' version. :D

Chris

Abby&Buddy'sMom
02-05-2005, 09:31 AM
That is too funny! I really had no idea you had also posted this..you know they say...great minds think alike :D I believe that this a very good food to feed as the ingrediants are meats first, not any grain products..and I believe that is very important:) as cats in the wild stalk meat...not corn stalks..:D jmo

Kristl
02-05-2005, 09:57 AM
My kitties eat Hill's Prescription Diet c/d because Mason has a bladder crystal problem, and HAS to have this, or the crystals will come back. It's too much of a hassle for me to try and feed the other 2 regular food, so to save money I mix the 20 lb bag with a 7 lb bag of super cheap Sport Mix. Mason is still getting the nutrition he needs and the other cats can eat the expensive stuff without making me go bankrupt! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
No chicken-soup available in Belgium either... :( . My cats both eat Hill's Food.

Uabassoon
02-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Nutro Natural indoor formula.

catcrazylady
02-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately mine don't get "special" food. They are Cat Chow kitties all the way with 9-lives canned food for treats. Too many kitties so they have to eat the poor kitty food.;) :D They are all very healthy (so far) and doing good so it can't be all bad.:D

Fox-Gal
02-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Unfortunately mine don't get "special" food. They are Cat Chow kitties all the way with 9-lives canned food for treats. Too many kitties so they have to eat the poor kitty food.;) :D They are all very healthy (so far) and doing good so it can't be all bad.:D

SHHH!! Not to loud, don't want mine to know they are "poor Kitties" LOL They think they are eating high on the hog. ;)

Mine eat the same poor kitty food too as well as Friskes and Deli cat, cat food. With 10 cats I can't get them all to agree on one food, so we have to buy 3 different kinds to make them all happy, mix it up and everyone finds something they are happy with. :D

Now the 2 queens of the group, Trouble and Bunny Butt, also have to have their tuna juice mixed with theirs. :rolleyes: If not I get that look...............you know what look i'm talking about. That who the Heck do you think your fooling here, make it right, are we are not eating, look. ;)

The Cat Factory
02-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Peppurr and Zeus both eat Natural Balance :)

sirrahbed
02-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Meow mix or Cat Chow - whichever is least expensive at the time :p Ok, so Dylan and Emily are a bit *plush* but everyone is healthy and happy.

Catsnclay
02-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Science Diet.

Fluffy and Yoshi eat that new Light formula with hairball treatment kibble and wet, where as Lucky is on a special SD food. He eats the k/d because of his weight, he also gets the wet and dry of it.

Years ago I was told be my vet to use SD. Having males and already been through the crystal/pee problems because of high ash content. So we switched to SD and haven't looked back!

I have never seen or heard about that Chicken Soup food.:D

jazzcat
02-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Purina One Chicken and Rice or Salmon and Rice. Kitten Chow for the kittens.

I tried Chicken Soup for Ripley and Jazz and the dog version for Disney. It caused Ripley to vomit more and Disney had horrid smelling poos. I also tried Nutro for Ripley, he puked more. Purina One is the only cat food that doesn't increase his vomitting, which he does enough anyway.

Everyone at my house is plush, including the owners.:D

krazyaboutkatz
02-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Since both Storm and Cirrus had to have P.U. surgeries, I now have to feed all 4 of my boys Royal Canin S/O formula. I buy both the dry and wet and Storm and Sunny have become hooked on the wet stuff which I also mix with dry. Cirrus will only eat dry and Sky will eat his dry and Storm's and Sunny's leftovers.:) Storm may have to be switched to Hills Prescription S/D for a while but it all depends on his next urinalysis results.

Nomilynn
02-05-2005, 11:54 PM
When I was little, we used to feed Cat Chow. Our cats were all very healthy too, until they got urinary crystals.

Meow Mix is also EXTREMELY high in fat.

Feeding a higher quality food is cheaper in the long run, because they eat less of it. It also promotes overall health so that vet costs are lower in the long run. Also, cats who eat a good quality food will absorb WAY more nutrients, therefore pooping less - makes for a much nicer litter box experience.

I feed Chicken Soup. It's a very good quality food that isn't as expensive as some other ones. I have known some people to experience very smelly feces with it though, so I think it really depends on the cat. My two do great on it. I like how it doesn't have a bunch of useless fibre and filler, like most "low" grade foods have.

shais_mom
02-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Kylie has just been switched to Hills R/D Prescription diet due to being a bit chubby.
And after being spayed Kloe is now on Nutro Adult formula.
And I noticed a huge difference in odor in the box when the girls get their wet food as a treat. I try to feed foods that will reduce litter box odor and help with skin and coat.

lady_zana
02-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Mine eat Purina Indoor Formula Cat Chow. It has helped their coats out tremdously. I used to feed them regular Cat Chow but since I've switched (maybe six months ago) there have been less accidents of throwing up.:D

sirrahbed
02-06-2005, 01:16 PM
I *have* tried some of the more expensive food at times - but the kitties turn up their noses. The ones I bought were Iams, S/D prescription W/D and Nutro. The S/D they hated, the Nutro - the pieces were too big and they did not like that and the Iams turns out to be not a very high quality food. (so I was told - though it is easy to get because it is made here in Dayton) As for amounts - I give them the same amount of Cat Chow as I did the expensive ones - 1/3 cup in each bowl twice a day.

I did not know that Meow Mix was so high in fat:( I just know they love it.

At one time, I was giving THREE different foods: Kitten Chow for the babies, diet for Emily and Dylan and regular for skinny Eliot. What a royal pain!! I had to feed twice a day in different rooms. For awhile when the babies were small - it was pretty easy because Eliot ate on the counter top and nobody else would bother - or were not able to jump up. Now - cats are all on the counters:rolleyes:

What *IS* a better quality food that is not more expensive in the long run, allows them to eat less and poop less - and is easy to find??? Someone had sent me a comparison link but it was not working. Anyone have such a link??

I may try the Nutro again. Natural Balance - I can't find and the Royal Canin is way too expensive here!! Plus - they are only at the Petstore and not our military store where we shop. I don't get out much and so need something easy to get.

For those who buy the huge bags - what do you store the food in??

I can easily get Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. Are any of them considered high quality???

Nomilynn
02-06-2005, 02:23 PM
The thing about the higher fat foods is they taste better - that's why if you have been feeding fatty foods, kitties won't like the "better" stuff :p They are way too finicky!!

I had started feeding Bassett Meow Mix, and she was a real porker. When I switched to Medical for her, I saw immediate improvements.

Of the three you mentioned, Debbie, I would say Nutro is the best, then Eukanuba, then Iams. I personally don't like Iams - I found that it made my cats coats dull and even it's weight control formula is pretty fatty. They likely will turn up their noses at first, but if you are persistent and mix in the new foods gradually, they should come around. At first Bassett HATED Medical. Then she got hungry :p

I buy the big bags and store it in a Rubbermaid Bin. It has always kept the food very fresh for me.

Here is a pretty good chart: http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/cat_food_comparisons.htm

Basically you have to look at the food lists - and try to find out where the SOURCES of the ingredients come from. For example, if it says "poultry meal" or "chicken meal" it is basically re-constituted chicken and not nearly as healthy as "chicken." There are percentage requirements that have to do with the word choices on labels. Also, most people say "corn" is bad, but it's really not. It just depends on how much is there. When you read the food lists, pay attention to how many times a type of filler is listed.. sometimes it doens't look as bad because it's farther down the list, but it's broken up into all of its constituents and therefore there is a lot more. It's better to feed a food that says corn or wheat higher on the list than a food that has corn, corn meal, corn by products etc etc lower on the list but over and over again.

I'll look into Eukanuba a little more, if you like, and see what I can find. From the chart I found, it looks like it might be a pretty good food. :)

sirrahbed
02-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks Naomi! I have not tried Eukanuba at all but it is right there in my military store in big bags - also they have the lamb and the chicken.

It just seems to me that somebody said something negative about that brand - but I am not sure. I am thinking it might be the same people as Iams??

I had also never heard of feeding lamb to kitties before!:p

Nomilynn
02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Yes, Eukanuba is made by the same company as Iams... and Iams has a pretty bad reputation.

However, when your choices are limited, sometimes you just have to do the best you can :) And if it turns out that your kitties flatly refuse to eat anything but the cat chow, then that is still better than nothing. But it can't hurt to try ;)

I know that at the Vet Hospital where I'm doing work experience, we feed lots of different varieties of Eukanuba, but nothing from Iams. Give it a try and let us know! :)

christa
02-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Mine eat Purina Pro Plan. Josie has always had a lot of gastro-intestinal problems . . . a really sensitive stomach, and that's about all she can eat.

I also give them something called Purina Feline EN (Gastroenteric), which you can only get from your vet. We usually just give these packets to them as treats. Just firms up their poopy.

shais_mom
02-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Like I said I started feeding Nutro and while the peices ARE bigger (which I don't really like either) but it helps them actually CHEW their food. Kylie threw up a few weeks ago when they were both finishing up the Iams I had and it was the whole peices of the little Iams. Unfortunately Kylie is on Science Diet now and the peices are the same as Iams. But little Kloe has NO problem eating the larger Nutro peices.
I don't know Debbie, what about the Nutro Max Cat? What are the peices like in that?
I would guess that at least Purina One would be better then the Meow Mix and Cat chow.
Kylie had a bit of gastrititis when I first got her when I tried to switch her foods too much, but we haven't had too much of a problem since.
Like I said earlier also I have to find a food normally for Kylie that is for hair and skin/coat b/c of hairballs.
I know that Royal Canin is expensive but it is excellant... but that is what I fed Kylie at first when I got her and she porked up!
What about Science Diet? Have you looked into that.. The Natural Care? Is that what it is called? Can't remember...
You can try Eukanuba - it would be better then the other I would think. Like Nomi said You never know till you try it..
Is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul available in you're are Debbie?

:)

wolfsoul
02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn

Basically you have to look at the food lists - and try to find out where the SOURCES of the ingredients come from. For example, if it says "poultry meal" or "chicken meal" it is basically re-constituted chicken and not nearly as healthy as "chicken."
I have to disagree with you on this one. :o Chicken meal is ALOT more expensive than just chicken -- that's why you will often see the lower quality foods do not have chicken meals, but just chicken. The reason for this is because chicken or any other meat for that matter is 70-80% water, fat, and oil. So when you see Chicken as the #1 food on a list of ingredients, it is actually water that is number one. You can count of the chicken being more in the middle to bottom of the list. A meal is just a meat that has been rendered so that the water, fat, and oils, have been removed. Therefore it is pure meat.

Eukanuba is not a high quality food -- they recently came out with a new line of foods that is much better, however. Eukanuba and Iams are the same company.

Caleb gets Healthwise in the morning, and NV raw at night. :)

prechrswife
02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Our cats get Cat Chow Indoor formula.

lisalee
02-06-2005, 10:32 PM

Feeding a higher quality food is cheaper in the long run, because they eat less of it. It also promotes overall health so that vet costs are lower in the long run. Also, cats who eat a good quality food will absorb WAY more nutrients, therefore pooping less - makes for a much nicer litter box experience.

I sure wish Sash ate less on premium food, not him though. :rolleyes: I alternate with Natural Balance and Royal Canin Slim.

Nomilynn
02-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I have to disagree with you on this one. :o Chicken meal is ALOT more expensive than just chicken -- that's why you will often see the lower quality foods do not have chicken meals, but just chicken. The reason for this is because chicken or any other meat for that matter is 70-80% water, fat, and oil. So when you see Chicken as the #1 food on a list of ingredients, it is actually water that is number one. You can count of the chicken being more in the middle to bottom of the list. A meal is just a meat that has been rendered so that the water, fat, and oils, have been removed. Therefore it is pure meat.

Eukanuba is not a high quality food -- they recently came out with a new line of foods that is much better, however. Eukanuba and Iams are the same company.

Caleb gets Healthwise in the morning, and NV raw at night. :)

I may be wrong on my exact terminology. I would have to look it up in my notes that I took in school. :)

Where do you get your raw diet? I personally would never feed a "homemade" raw diet to a cat. Cats nutritional needs are SO specific it is hard to ensure that they are getting everything they need.

All I know is after I took nutrition in college I was paranoid that my girls weren't getting what they needed :p I was on the verge of anxiety for weeks afterward LOL! :D

Shelteez2
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM
My cats get Innova Lite dry food. And Suki gets a little bit of Sheba wet food twice a day. Sheba isn't great, but it's one of the few wet foods she will eat. Chloe won't touch wet food.

wolfsoul
02-06-2005, 11:52 PM

Where do you get your raw diet? I personally would never feed a "homemade" raw diet to a cat. Cats nutritional needs are SO specific it is hard to ensure that they are getting everything they need.

It's from a pet supply store called Bone Appetit. :) I think that if a cat is getting a homemade diet, that as long as there is lots of variety, then he would get all of the nutrition he needs. I think it's like with people -- we certinaly don't get the exact amount of vitamins we need to survive in one day, but over a period of, say, a week, our diet balances out from the variety of food we eat, and so we get enough vitamins. If a cat were on the exact same homemade diet every single day, unless it had been analyzed for the correct amount of vitamins and approved by nutritionists, I doubt it would provide enough nutrition. But if the cat was fed a different meal every day, I believe it would be the perfect diet.

Cosmicat
02-07-2005, 07:30 AM
I have Katie eatting Purina One Chicken & Rice Formula, and just for a treat in the morings I give Katie 9 Lives wet food.

Logan
02-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Abby&Buddy'sMom
My two kittys are eating "Chicken Soup" food, adult light formula, because miss Abbys is lets say..a bit plump:eek: They absolutely love it:) What kinda food do you all feed to your kittys? abby and buddy Abby is the black medium hair

Mine eat the senior formula of the Chicken Soup food too. They do just fine on it.