PDA

View Full Version : Do people get scared of your dogs?

sammy101
02-04-2005, 10:12 PM
People get a little worried when they see me walking Kodie.Just because of his size,and he's soild muscle too:p (which isnt bad:D )They kindof look at me like "Why are you walking that big dog??"but he would NEVER do anything to anyone,he's way to friendly,big lover-boy!!:D :D
Of course,no one gets scared of Lucy b/c she's a puppy.lol.

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-04-2005, 10:17 PM
People are terrified of Tia and Echo:rolleyes::( They're afraid of Tia because she's a little Dachshund and they're apparently known to be 'ankle biters'; Of course they're afraid of Echo because she's a huge, vicious Rottweiler:( Some people have only heard about Rotties and have never actually seen one so sometimes when I'm walking her people stop to pet her and she's all sweet and nice, then they ask her breed and of course I tell them. Then they back away and act as if she's a disease or something:rolleyes::rolleyes: It annoys me like you wouldn't believe.....

flamepony12
02-04-2005, 10:23 PM
You know what's so annoying? NO ONE's scared of Mackenzie or Muffin, but SO many people are afraid of Zeus. :eek::confused: I'm like, "why are you scared of our smallest dog??" and they go, "He jumps on me!!" :eek::rolleyes: oh, yeah, it's the WORST when a tiny dog jumps on you, right? :p

Bullboxer
02-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Poeple are scared of my 10 week old puppy . :( They see me with her and they are so excited "look at that cute puppy, awe" then they ask what kind of dog, when I tell them they say Oh and walk away giving me a crazy look. One mother yelled at her kid once she found out it was part pitbull and pulled her daughter away by the arm.

vinjashira
02-05-2005, 04:37 AM
I've got a very friendly little dog, so nobody gets scared of her :D

Lexi_Lover
02-05-2005, 07:22 AM
People are amazingly TERRIFIED of Lexi, as some of you may have known, she has had some aggresion as a pup, well, I have to update that soon under dog behaviour, because we had an amazing breakthrough!

She is now, officially, HARMLESS! LOL!:D

stacwase
02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
EVERYBODY shows a very healthy respect for Max - and I LIKE it! As a (basically) single woman, living out in the boonies with a beautiful teenage daughter - the only man around to protect us being my 14-year-old son - I appreciate all the respect Max can get!

Of course, he's very friendly and whenever a repairman, snow plow guy, etc. comes over he gets underfoot and wants to be petted, etc., but there is no doubt in their minds that Max loves his mommy and would protect her if he had to!

anna_66
02-05-2005, 08:18 AM
People used to always be afraid of Angus. They'd say things like "OMG he's so big..is he mean?" "MEAN, MEAN, MEAN" That's all we were ever asked about him. OH PLEASE! He was one of the most harmless dogs in the world. He loved everybody:D

Of course no one is ever afraid of Roxey:p Most people/kids associate her with Demon from "Snowdogs":rolleyes:

And a few here and there are afraid of Huney. Ohhhh she's a chow, bad, mean dog:rolleyes:

So far there's only been one person who was intimidated by Bon. Suprisingly it was the girl at Superpetz! She went to give him a treat and was afraid he was going to bite her so she dropped the treat. People are weird.

cloverfdx
02-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Nope not realy, people always want to pat the little dogs. We used to have trouble with people crossing the street to get away from Clover, but everyone knows her now.

sammy101
02-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
... but everyone knows her now.

The people who know Kodie LOVE him to death because he's so friendly and wouldnt do anything.Everyone on his walk knows him,and Lucy.Its usually new people,like yesterday my mom told me a guy was walking a spaniel and he got scared of Kodie.( he was sitting beside my mom waiting for them to go by)and the man was scared to go by:rolleyes: lol,but he finally just passed,and of course Kodie didnt do anything.
and a few people at PetsMart get nervous around him.and also some parents dont let their kids pet him.

pitc9
02-05-2005, 09:33 AM
All strangers are afraid of both of mine. When I walk them, and someone else is walking down the street towards us, they always move to the other side of the street. I really don't mind it since my hubby is gone and will be for a few more months, this way people think that I have "Big Mean Dogs" and no one will mess with me!!

Anna... yeah.. Big Bad Mean Huney!!! LOL!!!:p

animal_rescue
02-05-2005, 09:38 AM
People are more scared of my german sheperds more than my doberman because when I walk my german sheperds I have the training collar on them, so people get scared because they see this big metal things around their necks like their vicious, I just put it on them because they have a pulling problem. Another reason is their size, some guy actually called to me(to scared to come near) that I shouldn't walk that dog(Hannah) because she might attack someone. He doesn't even my dog, so I don't know how he can make that statement. Now my dobie everyone says that she always has a modest look on her face, and that's why no one is scared of my dobie.

cali
02-05-2005, 09:51 AM
lol for Misty is depends on weather or not she is wearing her haltie lol if she is everyone says "what a gorgous dog" pointing at her, and remaining about 20 feet away cuz of coarse she is wearing a muzzle and that is why her mouth is wide open in a big smile lol nobody is scared of happy, even people who are afraid of dogs love Happy lol Ripley too, he is far to cute for anyone to possably be scared of such a cute face lol Perky and Blair though.. everyone is terrified of Blair lol after all everyone has to run away from the terrifying fluffball lol Perky some people are and some people arent, most people are not anymore but everyone used to be afraid of her lol

Cincy'sMom
02-05-2005, 10:01 AM
We have had a few people react to ours. More the girls then Spot (I think becuase they are black), although we do occasionally get the dalmatians are bad with kids comments :rolleyes:

Kristl
02-05-2005, 10:32 AM
No ones scared of Bull because he's a puppy! Although when he grows up, I don't know. Sme people are afraid of labs. My friend Lindsey had a lab when she was little and the dog attacked her and ripped her scalp away from her head. So I bet she'll be scared when he gets bigger. My friend Kristen is scared of any dog that is black. I do not know why!!

wolf_Q
02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes a surprisingly large amount of people are afraid of Nebo. He's not *that* big of a dog but he is apparently "scary looking." :rolleyes: Many people think he's part wolf or his blue eyes freak them out. That's ok because Nebo doesn't care for strangers so he'd rather have them running away from him then bugging him. ;)

senorita02
02-05-2005, 11:08 AM
People are mostly very afraid of Face and Senorita, but then there will the few who run up to play with them, and that is fine with Rita but not Face, he actually can be mean to strangers. But that is his protective instincts so thats good. I just make sure i tell them she is very friendly and they play with Senorita and Face just sits back and watches with a cautious eye.
Then theres me who runs to pet any dog i see no matter how big/small or what breed and i once got bitten by a Rott doing that, even after the owner said i could go ahead and pet him. I dont want that to happen with Face so i just tell people they cant pet him, but they can pet her. :D

misterduke
02-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Yes! Because of Duke's size and because he's a German Schephard they often ask me if he's cross. In a way I don't mind that people are a little scared since I live in the country and when my husband is gone, Duke's there to protect me. I just wish, people would learn to get to know our dogs. People assume that if the dog is big, if he's a German Schephard, a pit bull, a rottwiller, or any of these breeds they automatically think they are mean.

misterduke

RobiLee
02-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes, I think most people are scared of Katie. They seem to be intimidated by her size. When she is glad to see them and starts wooing at them some people get really frightened. They don't understand that she is happy. Some think she is growling. My favorite are the people who stop me on the street and just oohh and awww over her and ask me all about her but keep a very safe distance. My own mom is afraid of Katie. She knows she is a friendly dog, but it is that whole "Big Dog" mentality thing going on. Tori, I'm not for sure if people are afraid of her. I don't think so. Its just that usually I am walking both of them so I think she just gets lumped in with Katie. I have had a couple of people tell me that Tori looks evil...lol. Just because of her ice blue eyes and her mask. Especially when she was a puppy and her mask was more pronounced. It doesn't bother me too much. I mean Katie is a pretty good sized dog so I understand and I would much rather have someone ask if it was ok to walk up to her and pet her. If people only knew how friendly Katie was and how submissive Tori can be...LOL.

Jods
02-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Everyones scared of Mercedes, but she is not very friendly to strangers so I like the fact that they stay away. No ones really scared of Gomer, but people always say you have 2 huge dogs and I look at them like they are shrimps LOL:p

petslover
02-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Everyone who comes to my house are scared of Tiger cause he will bite lol! He bit one of my friends awhile back. It left a bruise on his leg.He jokes about it all the time though..

People really aren't scared of the other dogs.

chocolatepuppy
02-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Nobody seems to be afraid of Mandy but most people, unless they're true dog people, are afraid of Lacey. My neighbors dad, who's older, asked me over the fence how many people Lacey has bit :eek: I kindly told him none!

LuvinMyAussieBoy
02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
People always seem to interpret aussies as a very friendly breed! :)

Suki Wingy
02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Many times when we are at the park/elementary school, I have people say, "Does he bite? "
YES, IDIOTS, that is why I brought him to the playground to play with your children! So he could eat them all!
I use a pinch (prong) collar whenever I go outside with Nino cauze a choke chain (slip collar) is dammaging and he will find a way out of any collar!(just not the wonderfull prong, which he actually likes)

Vette
02-05-2005, 09:58 PM
My mom is afraid of Kirby. he bit her finger once,, so only my dad,, brother and i have anything do with Kirby now.

i think he was guarding his food dish or toy or something. i dont really know. i was in school at the time. but she doesnt try to pet him anymore now. :(

cocker_luva
02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
honestly, who would be afraid of lil' ol' Jesse girl? i mean really? :rolleyes: :D

Samantha Puppy
02-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Please. People flock to Samantha when I take her out. They can tell right away that she's a pushover! :)

GiantSchnauzer
02-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Reactions vary. Most want to find out all about her breed. Others are scared to death of the big black dog walking beside me.

cyber-sibes
02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
While people always oohh and aahh over the huskies, they are cautious and ask if they're friendly. I think its because they look very wolf-ish. I used to walk Rosie with a gentle leader, and people would ask if she was mean - they thought it was a muzzle. She looked very rotti, black with brown markings. I've read that people are more afraid of black dogs than any other - what do other black dog owners think- do people seem more afraid?

Canis Amicus
02-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Yes, specially when Rex (German Shepherd, 3yo) is wearing his Halti or muzzle, people look at him with a scared look and make way for us. They give me that strange look also.

One time, there were two gentlemen near us while Rex barked to a passing by biker, while I corrected him, one said to the other "It's a German Shepherd!" the other answered: "Both!"

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Only sometimes...Blaze looks like the cutest little pup, and his is, and most everyone likes him...but he can get pretty aggressive, and I bet burgulars would freak out!!:D He has tried to attack people sometimes, and he did scare them! (obviously!);)

tatsxxx11
02-06-2005, 12:57 PM
A lot of people less experienced with dogs are terrified of Cody. They say she looks like a wolf and her ice blue eyes are souiless "devil eyes.":( But at the vet's, she the star:)

Glacier
02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
All the time and always the wrong dogs. People are afraid of Heyoka just because of his size when he wouldn't hurt a fly. They should be afraid of Chum as he is very protective of me, but he's a little guy and not many people think he's serious when he's growling at them.

Lots of people think the blue eyed dogs must be mean and I had several people who were sure Hoodoo was evil when he was alive--because he was bi-eyed and apparently that scared them.

Suki Wingy
02-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
because he was bi-eyed and apparently that scared them.
What are some other names for two different color eyes? In dals and catahoulas it is called "odd-eyed" In horses and catahoulas blue eyes are called glass eyes, and an eye with two colors is called a crack eye. I would like to know some more names for unusual eye color, because I particlarly like them. I think blue eyes in dals is accociated w/ deafness but i might be wrong.

Glacier
02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
What are some other names for two different color eyes?

A husky with two different colored eyes is bi-eyed, usually one brown and one blue eyes, but husky eyes can be any color. When two colors are present in the same eye, they are called parti-eyed.

joanofark
02-06-2005, 02:22 PM
A lot of people get scared of our dogs:) They look like bears coming toward you! Once they get to know them, they love them quickly.:)

senorita02
02-06-2005, 03:05 PM
The cable guy came over to fix our cable and said Senorita was a "Mean Evil Beast!!"
The nerve of him, and this was when she was a puppy.

As for people being afraid of black dogs more, i think they might be, my sister has a black dog , pretty big but a mix, he also looks like a wolfish dog, and people are terrified of him. I think its funny he is a big lovable baby.

ParNone
02-06-2005, 03:30 PM
I've had numerous people afraid of Oz and Gully. Oz, I think, because of size and the blue eyes. Gully, I think, also because of size and he's got bi-eyes, that are kind of small and shifty looking. Plus, he's got a tendency to bark at people, if they're approaching from a distance.

I can't remember anybody being afraid of Murph. I think because he's small, with light coloring and a continually wagging tail.

Normally people weren't afraid of Maddie either, but every once in awhile we'd happen upon somebody who was afraid of her. Maybe because of her dark coloring. I had a cable guy, about jump out of his skin, when he walked in my bedroom and *gasp* she was loose on the bed. Her tail was wagging a mile a minute at him, yet he still asked if she'd bite. I told him she might lick him to death and also that she was blind and wasn't going to jump off the bed. But he still kept looking over his shoulder nervously at her, so I finally put her on the couch out in the den away from him.

Par...

ramanth
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Some people are afraid of Kia. I think some of it is that they are afraid of big dogs.

Others, believe it or not, are afraid of her eyes. She's more likely to stare and watch someone vs. barking at them. I sure that can be just as unnerving.

Jadapit
02-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Some people are scared of Jada. I was walking the dogs and two ladies were coming toward us and they stopped dead in their tracks when they saw us coming. They would not move until I went to the other side of the street.:rolleyes: I have had people slow down and look at Jada then give me a dirty look. It really makes me mad.:mad: Jada honestly would NOT hurt a soul!!!

ramanth
02-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
They say she looks like a wolf and her ice blue eyes are souiless "devil eyes.":(
Kia and I sympathise with you Cody! *HUGS* Kia's been called devil spawn. :eek: :rolleyes:

I must admit, when I first saw a halti on a dog, I thought it was a muzzle too but I was perplexed that the mouth was still free. I asked the owner and when she explained what it was I was soo embarressed. :o

Hopefully those that mistake a halti for a muzzle realize their mistake and don't judge afterwards....but who knows.

RobiLee
02-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm so glad that the woman who caught Tori for me yesterday was not afraid of her. Alden pointed out that if it had been Katie that had gotten loose yesterday that no one would have tried to catch her. They would all be afraid and go the other way. I do wish people wouldn't be afraid of my girls. They both love people, especially Katie.

What is it with the blue eyes? Do they really look evil? So many people think that.

Robin :)

K9soul
02-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by RobiLee
What is it with the blue eyes? Do they really look evil? So many people think that.

I think that is Hollywood at work again. In many movies where there is a devil wolf or devil dog they have blue or white or yellow eyes or something. Vampire movies the people often have vivid colored blue or green eyes and that kind of thing.

I don't really recall people specifically showing fear of my two, though some smaller children are intimidated by Tommy's size. Oddly a lot of people, especially kids, are attracted to Tasha and she is the one who is most wary of strangers and doesn't want them to touch her. She will let most women touch her after she has been around them for a bit and has gotten a chance to sniff them over.

robinh
02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
This is so interesting! I have 4 small dogs (5 temporarily) and one medium sized dog, but I would still be more tempted to approach a big dog's person and ask if I could pet rather than a small dog's person. And I love small dogs but some of them can be nippy.

I had Max and Opal (foster) out on Saturday. You can imagine two cute doxies and everyone wanted to pet them. I had to tell one little girls' dad that I would prefer she not pet them. She was bouncing around and both of the dogs were very scared at being in a new place. I was afraid they might snap and they were already trying to run away from her. Thank heavens her dad asked before she stuck her hand out. Max also does NOT do children. My sisters grandkids used to torment him until I found out about it.

lute
02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
sometimes people get scared of Beanie because he barks and growls when he plays. it's not like a mean growl. it's playful, but when people think of a dog growling they think it's mean. like some wussy little pomerainian is gonna do damage.:rolleyes: he's just a vocal little guy.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't think anyone has ever been afraid of my dogs. Hmmm, I wonder why?;)