PDA

View Full Version : THE WORST THING EVER HAPPENED!

horse_1987
09-22-2001, 06:04 AM
I've been awake since midnight when I was called out to the barn where my palimino mare is boarded. I have no idea how she did it but, she was laying down in her stall and somehow she got her leg caught on something, i have no idea what it could have been, and she tried to get up and tore open her leg. The lady who owns the farm heard alot of banging so she called the vet and he rushed out and looked at it and said that he couldn't just stich it up because she tore some tendons so we have to send her for a 2 hour trailer ride away so they can try and fix it. We might just have to have her put down :( I have to go ride in horse show soon that i prepared for all last night. I really don't want to go but i have to. I hope they don't expect me to do good because my heart just isn't into it today.

TheAntiPam
09-22-2001, 08:12 AM
What an ordeal for you and your horse! I used to work in the business office of a vet specializing in race horses. I was constantly amazed at how strong yet fragile a horse can be. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed for the injury to be something the vets can mend quickly!

Karen
09-22-2001, 08:34 AM
The poor beauty, I hope she'll be okay! How awful, but I'm pretty hopeful they'll be able to help her. :(

Eudora
09-22-2001, 09:25 AM
Poor beauty, to borrow Karen's words. I hope you feel better and get some good news soon! (if I'm not too late, good luck for your competition!!)

horse_1987
09-22-2001, 07:29 PM
While I was at my horse show, my dad and the vet rushed Maggie to the "horse hospital" I kept calling my dads cellphone in between all my classes but i never got through. It wasn't until after the show that i heard the terrible news... she had broke the part of her leg, which could have been fixed, but since it was her cannon bone, and alot of tendons are in that area, it would have been a very difficult and very,very,very expensive (around $8000) operation and the chances of her not fully recovering were very great. My dad decided right then and there that it wasn't fair for her to have to be tyed up all her life just so that she wouldn't re-injure herself and it also wasn't fair for her to have to suffer that much. So he had her put down. I wish no one made me go to the stupid show, i am so mad at myself. I didn't even get to say good bye, and she was in so much pain. she was probably so scared. I don't think i should own another horse, i am still totally blaming myself for what happened, there must have been something i could have done to prevent this. I still remember last night, before we brought all the horses in for the night, I was watching Maggie and her horse friend, Oreo, playing in the field. They were racing around bucking from one end of their field to another. They were having so much fun together her and Oreo had always been inseprable. and to think, she'll never again see Oreo, run in her field, eat from her hay rack, stand in the crossties while i brush her beautiful golden coat.I had high hopes for her, and she only lived to be 3. Just yesterday i wrote an english paper about her, i have always been so proud of my golden girl, i don't think i'll ever get over this, i never thought something so horrible could happen to her.
It took me an hour to write this post, because i can't stop crying. But i felt it was important for pet talk to know what happened

TheAntiPam
09-22-2001, 10:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your sweet Maggie. Even with all those wonderful memories, it hurts so much when you want to just touch her, be near her, and you can't. Don't forget that you helped make her life full of love and joy. You and your family will be in our thoughts as you grieve for your lost dear one.

delidog
09-23-2001, 06:15 AM
i am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear maggie....please do not feel responsible....it sounds like she got cast in her stall...many horses do this...it is not your fault...she will be at the rainbow bridge waiting for you...i also feel for your dad...having to make that decision is very difficult and a strain on your emotions...you will eventually find another horse to love...not to replace maggie,but to share new affection....don't give up!!! i know this is hard for you now...go ahead and grieve...it is healthy...when the time is right you will go forward...and have fond memories in your heart....the deli dog

lizbud
09-23-2001, 08:54 PM
Horse_1987...
I had not seen your post before now ...
I am so very sorry that Maggie has passed
on over Rainbow Bridge leaving you to grieve Her passing..Please know that You are in my
thoughts & prayers. I'm sure that Maggie is
looking down on you now & would dry all your
tears if She could!! Please don't blame
yourself for this terrible accident...

Gio
09-25-2001, 06:42 AM
I have not been able to come to the board the last couple of days and I have jst read your message. I'm so sorry about your loss, please take care.

purrley
09-25-2001, 01:30 PM
My prayers are with you. I don't know what
hurts worse than to lose a beloved pet. Take
lots of time to grieve and then go on - Maggie would want that for you. God Bless!

NoahsMommy
09-25-2001, 03:17 PM
I am so sorry. I hope that with time, you will feel better and only remember the good memories of Maggie.

God Bless.

zippy-kat
09-25-2001, 05:12 PM
I'm am so sorry about Maggie!
{hugs}

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

AmberLee
09-25-2001, 06:27 PM
{{{horse_1987 and Maggie}}},

So sorry to hear of your loss. Holding you both in our thoughts and prayers. It sounds like an accident, not your fault. Please don't add guilt to your grief. It sounds like Maggie had three wonderful years and that you and Oreo and her other horse friends brought her much joy. It's too bad you couldn't say a final goodbye, but you can say one in your heart now that she's out of pain. Sorry this isn't much help...

jackiesdaisy1935
09-25-2001, 06:31 PM
I'm so sorry about what happened to Maggie, I know how hard it must be for you right now losing your wonderful horse. We will say a prayer for you and Maggie.
Jackie

horse_1987
09-25-2001, 08:40 PM
Thanx everyone, you guys have always been really supportive. Oreos really upset. He stands at the gate of his pasture all day, waiting for his best friend to come back. I ride him every day now, because when i ride him he seems happy, although he doesn't have his usually spunk and riding him isn't as exciting as it usually is. I wish horses could understand our language, then i could tell him what happened,so he would stop waiting for her, because seeing him so unhappy is making me more upset.

purrley
09-26-2001, 01:31 PM
Dear Horse - I just had to post again to let you know I'm thinking about you. It made me so sad to hear about your sweet Maggie. God Bless - kiss your Oreo for me - time will heal.

Rosey
09-27-2001, 12:31 PM
Gosh! With tears brimming! How sad to read your story I had a hard time getting to the end to hear such a sad event but no fault of your own! Please do not blame your self it was one of those things that had you had no for sight of coming. I feel your pain and even though you did not have a chance to say good bye I'm sure she knew how much she was loved by you!Rosey

Daisy's Mom
09-28-2001, 07:13 PM
I can't beleive I missed this topic. I am so sorry about beautiful Maggie. Please don't blame yourself; this was most certainly not your fault. Just know that she is in a better place now, looking down on you with love.

tatsxxx11
09-29-2001, 06:37 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to have missed this thread. My heart is breaking for you and the loss of your beautiful Maggie and for sad Oreo. Please don't blame yourself. What a tragic accident. God Bless you and beautiful brave Maggie. You are in my heart and prayers. Run free and whole again at the Bridge, beautiful girl. Love, Sandra

Kerri
10-14-2001, 07:00 AM
I have only just read about your lose, and I can not find the words to say how sorry I am. I hope you have come to understand that Maggie's accident was by no way your fault. The decission your father made, would have been as heartbreaking for him as it was for you even though Maggie was your close companion. I know I do not know you or your father but I am sure that just as you loved and will always love Maggie, your father loves and cares about you and I am sure the last thing he wanted was to hurt you. It may be hard for you to see at the moment as you will still be hurting so very much, but those wonderful memories you have of your Maggie will be with you always, just as Maggie took with her those very same wonderful and special memories. There was no need for goodbyes as the bond you shared will always live on in your heart and soul, Maggie I am certain knew how much you cared and I am also certain that she would have wanted you to remember her the way she was when you watched her frolicking with Oreo.

Always remember what you had " it is better to have loved, than to never have loved at all"

Take Care

From Kerri

Buddy2101
10-14-2001, 11:54 AM
I am so sorry to her abotu your horse. She sounds liek she ment alot to you. PLease don't blame yourself you gave her a good life.