PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay addicts!!!???

kimlovescats
02-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh my gosh, I love e-bay. Last night I was in a fight to the last few seconds to win a lamp I wanted so badly! I had been looking all over the internet for this type of lamp at a fairly reasonable price. I finally sucked up and paid $102.50 for this one plus $15.00 shipping!:eek: Please tell me it was "worth" it! I see alot of these lamps for much more, so I hope and 'think" I got a pretty darn good deal. Also, I am very picky about colors, patterns, etc....and this one was beautiful to me! Any other e-bay addicts out there?

:D Kim

Glacier
02-04-2005, 02:24 PM
It's a very pretty lamp.

I buy beads and jewelry making supplies on ebay all the time. No stores around here that carry that kind of stuff.

luvofallhorses
02-04-2005, 02:25 PM
oooooh that lamp is pretty:D and fancy too;) but I love browsing on ebay:D:Dso I guess I am addicted;)

manda_moo87
02-04-2005, 02:41 PM
I love Ebay... :D
I've never actually bid on anything though, but I am always browsing around looking at all the neat Cher stuff! (LP's etc.)

jazzcat
02-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Ooh, Me!

I love to bid and get unique things. I haven't bought much lately but last year I got many neat cat Christmas ornaments.

I actually used to sell years ago but I got tired of it and the stress of worrying that something might go wrong. I made some good money though. Cleaned out my attic and then got hooked so I shopped for deals to turn around and sell.

For the past 4 1/2 years I've only been a buyer. I've gotten great jewelry deals over the years, my big weakness.

The lamp is very pretty! I bet you got a good deal on it.

chocolatepuppy
02-04-2005, 04:00 PM
I just mailed out a package today, something I sold on ebay. Unfortunately I think I end up buying more than I sell! :D And the lamp you bought is very pretty! :)

kimlovescats
02-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Lori, I tried selling and I always ended up losing money on the shipping, packaging, etc. Then the one time I actually charged higher amount for shipping, they wrote me a nasty e-mail saying my fee was exhorbitant!!!:eek: :rolleyes: I refunded them the whole shipping fee, and lost again .... then another time I got blasted because my item broke in the mail, and I hadn't insured it... I thought it was "safe". I had to refund the whole purchase price, then of course lost what I paid for shipping it. Plus you know there are the fees that e-bay charges for listings. I guess I just sucked at selling! LOL! I have lots more I would love to try and sell, but I need a course in proper e-bay selling techniques I guess!:rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I love looking through stuff, and have sold a thing or two. I have lots more stuff to sell off, but haven't got around to it! :rolleyes: I bought a tiny basket at a flea market a few years ago, and knew very little about it, but got it for $1.00 noting it was signed and numbered before I bought it. Cute, but the type of thing the cats would chew for fun. I researched it some, and found out it was a Longerberger basket from PA. I sold it for $30.00! :D I have an oriental cat that I'm putting on soon. I've seen them go for as much as $150.00! (Kutani cat). Not my style, and to think I almost pitched it as I thought it was kind of ugly! :eek: Your new lamp is beautiful! It would last less than a day here! :rolleyes: Unless I superglued every crystal on, and the shade etc. to the surface! :D

MariaM
02-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I love it! You can always here me joke "Sell it on eBay!" Lol. I've never personally bought anything on it buy my mom has bought a couple items. I look alot and when I get money I want to get some stuff lol.

Corinna
02-04-2005, 08:16 PM
When hubby was home on diabilty he was the local e-bay sales guy. E-mail any questions he can help you. I have to pull all my will power to not order all the carousils and light houses on there.

KYS
02-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Very pretty lamp.

I am not an attic, but I enjoy using E-Bay.

Fox-Gal
02-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Pretty lamp.

Yes we are E-bay addicts, we have a E-bay store. I know all about people complaining about shipping cost, we get it sometimes. People don't seem to get that it's shipping and HANDLING!!
Sure it only cost so much for the postage, but where do they think the bubble wrap, sealed bag, bubble envelope, box and all the other comes from, to send the item to them safely. All these things cost money too. But the will fight you over a dollar, if they can.

Now, my husband he's buys a lot on E-bay When he really wants something, he waits till the last minute, when the highest bidder thinks they have most likely won and with a stop watch, in hand, puts his bid in just seconds before it ends. Most always he wins the item. He even bought his motorcycle on E-bay, I call him the E-bay king. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
02-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I have a cabinet full of E-bay Jewel Tea stuff.. My cabinet is full but I still look at it in there...

kimlovescats
02-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the offer of help, Corinna! ;)

Fox-Gal ... I guess I just am not experienced enough to know how much to charge for shipping and handling. I really do have lots of things that I need to sell, as I dread the thoughts of having a yard sale anymore!

:rolleyes: ;)

Laura, I know what you mean .... I have gone through plate collecting, have run of out room to put them, and I still find myself looking at more!:eek: :D

Fox-Gal
02-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Fox-Gal ... I guess I just am not experienced enough to know how much to charge for shipping and handling. I really do have lots of things that I need to sell, as I dread the thoughts of having a yard sale anymore!

:rolleyes: ;)
I know how you feel about the yard sale......I hate having them anymore. Not when you can sit at home and wait till the E-bay auction is over. :) And in most cases you get more for the items then you would at a yard sale.

Just weigh your item, go to USPS web site to figure out cost. We have found that their site is almost always on the mark, price wise. We usually add $1, $2 or so to that price for the tracking and in case they where off some. It almost always works out perfect for us. Out of thousands of items we have shipped, I can only think of 3 or 4 times their site was wrong.

Just make sure in your add, you say shipping and handling, for those few that want to complain because you might have charged them .50 cents to much. :rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
02-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Check this out fellow ebay addicts!
http://www.geoffellis.com/ebay.html

christa
02-05-2005, 09:41 AM
My name is Christa and I'm an eBay addict . . .

;)

I mostly buy. Usually nothing too expensive.

I used to sell, but my breaking point was when I sold a DVD player for 20 bucks, charged 10 bucks shipping and then the shipping actually ended up costing 20 bucks! Plus after buying the box & packing materials, I came out with ZERO profit. I basically gave it away. That's the last time I've sold anything.

You can get quite a few good deals though . . . but like you said before, you've really gotta watch your auctions to the last second!

I LOVE the lamp! I'm a real sucker for antiques and I just love lamps like that. I'm STILL depressed over a lamp that I could have bought for 20 bucks in the town I used to live in at a flea market. Why didn't I buy it? I have no idea!

edit: One good experience we had selling: Hubby's PS2 broke and we sold it "broken" for over 80 bucks! I was amazed that someone would actually buy it broken . . . goes to show you, people will buy anything!

Kristl
02-05-2005, 10:12 AM
My first ebay experience was dumb. I saw a metal bed on there for 99 cents. Stupid me didn't check out the shipping cost, which was 199.00!!! Whoops! I won it, but then it came as JUST the headboard and footboard...no rails. My dad emailed the people and they said that is all that is included...I got screwed. But I learned a lesson! Check the shipping costs!!!

QueenScoopalot
02-05-2005, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by christa
[B]My name is Christa and I'm an eBay addict . . .

;)

ROFLOL! Good one! :D That's one thing I'm sure I'd mess up is the shipping and handling fees. :rolleyes: I have a terrific antique (huge) Folk Art cows head that I got appraised several years ago. I found it in a pile of junk upside down in the mud, and took it home. The auction appraisal stunned me when I was told it's valued between $800.00 and $1,200.00! :eek:

kimlovescats
02-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Fox-Gal, thanks for the pricing tip!

Chocolate Puppy .... that song was too cute, and sooooo true!

QSA ... what a deal.... sell that thing!!!:eek:

Kristl ... I've seen many items listed like that ... I think it is very misleading!!!:mad:

Well, people I screwed up royally again myself. Last night I jumped too quickly on a fireplace screen that was ending soon. I thought I was so lucky until (after having won the bid) found out it is way too small to even come close to covering my fireplace opening!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( I guess the kitties will have a very ornate Baroque style litter pan screen!:rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
02-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Don't worry Kim...I will sell that head someday. It's only going to go up in value, so I'll wait till I'm desperate for $$$$$$$$$ and then it will go. ;)

sirrahbed
02-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by christa
My name is Christa and I'm an eBay addict . . .

;)

Welcome to eBay Anonymous!:cool:

I have been hooked before but now I limit myself to auto bid. Those last minute price wars get too exciting for me:D
I did "win" some great Christmas gifts and I like the "Buy it now" things. I used to buy and sell paperbacks on half.com and made a good profit. (now my books go to bookcrossing.com ;) )

Kim, the lamp is gorgeous and looks perfect for your house!!:D

Twisterdog
02-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Yes, I tend to have somewhat of an Ebay problem at times. Sometimes, I'm bidding on dozens of things at once, then I go for months and don't bid at all ... thank goodness!

I LOVE Ebay, because I live in the middle of nowhere, and there is NO shopping here. So anything even slightly out of the ordinary, basically not carried by Walmart, is not going to be found in this sad little town.

AmberLee
02-06-2005, 06:54 PM
*blush* I don't go to EBay anymore... Got carried away when I first bought my condo. It was a lot of fun though. I completed a collection of titles by a favorite author, among other things!

sirrahbed
02-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
I don't go to EBay anymore... Got carried away when I first bought my condo.

You bought a CONDO on eBay??:D ;) :p

RobiLee
02-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I love ebay. I haven't bought anything lately though. It is so addictive. Awhile back I went on a huge shopping spree buying Home Interior figurines. I was so hooked!!! Spent a fourtune too! Which reminds me...does anyone have any home interior figurines they want to get rid of?...LOL ;)

Robin :)