PDA

View Full Version : Memorial head stones??

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I have been looking for a head stone for my rb gigi that passed away last week. I know I have seen them in petsmart and now I can't find them. Has anyone seen them. I found some online that I can have custom made also.

We buried her in our backyard and we plan on being in our house for sometime so I thought it would be a nice tribute to her.

Its still really hard without her.:(

sirrahbed
02-04-2005, 11:30 AM
a headstone for your gigi is a lovely idea! I also saw the ones at PetsMart and thought they were beautiful - flat marble stone with inscriptions. Have they stopped carrying those? Perhaps their online store has them??
Wish I had some sources for you - sorry!

Our two RB kitties - Ernie and bert, are also buried in out yard - right outside of our bedroom window. My hubby made cat shaped wooden headstones and then painted their names and dates on them. They are coated with weather-seal and holding up quite well. We placed a border of rocks and there is a little tree planted right next to them and I love having them there:)

Becky (craftlady) made a lovely garden for her RB Buterscotch and can probably direct you to a source for a stone since the garden she made has a very nice one!!

I know you are missing gigi and having a hard time. :( It does get easier but never completely goes away. Eventually, there will be days when you can think of her tenderly and smile - but it will take awhile.

ratchet22
02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Pet smart has always had them, maybe you can speak with someone there, deliveries here come on wednesdays, see if they ordered any. They are very nice and what a great idea!

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Well my local petsmart didn't have them, there are 3 petsmarts around town though so I will check another one. I know I have seen them there before.

I found this statue that is kind of cool also...

http://www.tspetmemorials.com/statues.html

Cinder & Smoke
02-04-2005, 12:02 PM
There are a LOT of companies that produce Custom Engraved Pet Markers.

Even Wallys-Mart >>>
WallMart Pet Marker (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2403921#long_descr)

Do a http://www.Google.com search for some of these terms ~

"Pet Marker"
"Pet Memorial Stone"
"River Rock Memorials"

So Sorry :( you lost Gigi.

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I like the one at walmart and I can feel comfortable ordering from them thanks! I think I will order that one, the cat one is cuter than the dog one I think.

sirrahbed
02-04-2005, 12:29 PM
oh I LOVE the Wal-Mart marker for kitties. I would love them for Bert and Ernie. This will be terrific for gigi and it looks so lovely!! Let us see it when it arrives, OK? I think some flowers or plants nearby would also be beautiful:)

Great site, Phred!!

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I just planted an apricot tree 2 years ago, she is close to that and some pretty flowers near her would be nice also. I will take a photo when I get it.

sirrahbed
02-04-2005, 12:34 PM
caseysmom - I was also looking at your siggy and hoping you do not remove gigi. There are some folks here who can use graphics to add a soft rainbow to the picture and I just love that!! I don't know how they do it - maybe you already know how and would want to do that - just an idea:)

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I have been meaning to do that...put a rainbow on her pic...and no I won't remove her from my signature....thanks for asking.

p.s. I don't know how to do the rainbow...if anyone can help..

Glacier
02-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I make my own stones when we loose one. I have a special area of the yard they are all put in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/hoodoo_stone.jpg
This is Hoodoo's. The glass stones are blue & brown, like his eyes and black & white like his fur. This pic was taken before I took the form off.

It's pretty easy to do. You just need a form of some kind--wood works best, but I've used an empty beer flat too! Buy some readi-mix concrete and mix it up in a container you don't care about it. Pour it into your mold, smooth the top and wait about 30 minutes. Once the concrete has set a bit, you can write whatever you want and decorate it. Leave in the form for 48 hours. Then you can move it wherever you want.

I like the concrete not only because I can personalize them, but because the concrete holds up to our winter weather.

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow, what a great idea. This could be a great project with the kids...a little healing for all of us...

Glacier
02-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
Wow, what a great idea. This could be a great project with the kids...a little healing for all of us...

I find it very therapuetic to make them. I am usually crying like a baby the whole time, but it definately helps. I usually make them around a special date. Like, I made Hoodoo's on his birthday, about six months after he died. My husband sometimes thinks I'm a little morbid, but I like to do something to mark their birthdays, gotcha days, the day they left ect.

I also forgot to add that if you live in a city, you can probably find a kit to make a memorial stepping stone. Michael's sells them, I think. I live in the middle of nowhere so I buy my supplies at the hardware store and the decorations whereever I can find them!

caseysmom
02-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks I'll check michaels...

Craftlady
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
The stone I have for RB Butterscotch was a flat river (lake) rock that a friend got for me from our local lake. She picked it out for me in lake and decorated it.

Here's a kit that they sell at Michaels.
I'm sure you can modify the design to fit the situation.

Stepping Stone (http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0036&channelid=)

Grace
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
We have markers in the backyard for the one dog and 6 cats who have gone to the bridge since we moved here 16 years ago.

The first few I ordered from Alsto - marble bricks with their names and dates. The last two I have purchased from a local monument store. I just take a brick of my choice in, tell them what to engrave, and they have come out beautifully. This place also started a pet crematorioum in the past few years.

When we buried the last few, who were cremated, I put the ashes in a tupperware container, with a laminated photo and a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem.

moosmom
02-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I wish I could bury my pets in my yard. Unfortunately, I rent so if I moved, I'd have to leave my RB pets behind :( Casey went to the Bridge in December of 2001 and I had him cremated. I have his ashes in a special wooden (made from wood only found in Hawaii) box with a gold heart that's got his name and dates inscribed. I made a special "ledge" out of a Christmas box I got. I'll get a picture of it and post it.

I sure miss him!

catmandu
02-05-2005, 08:56 AM
When A Found Cat Passes On,I take thier Best Photos,and have a plaque,made of them,thereis a place,called Sealed art,taht is very resaonable! About 20 Dollars,a plaque!

Grace
02-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
When A Found Cat Passes On,I take thier Best Photos,and have a plaque,made of them,thereis a place,called Sealed art,taht is very resaonable! About 20 Dollars,a plaque!

That's a fantastic idea, Catmandu. I should look into that - for the time when we move from this house.