PDA

View Full Version : Question?

Jadapit
02-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I have a question and maybe one of you will have some good advice for me.;) I take my dogs for a walk almost everyday. The other day we were walking along and this huge german shepard came at us and it was not in a friendly way. I yelled "NO" at him as loud as I could but he kept coming at us. Thankfully the owner heard my big mouth and he called his dog home.

What do you do when the owner doesn't see or hear whats going on? Do you run or stand still? It really scared me. I do NOT like dog fights they freak me out. With Jada having pit in her she usually wont back down from any dog. It was not a fun walk thats for sure. Btw the german shepard was just beautiful he just scared the crap out of me.;) Thanks for any advice in advance!!

lute
02-04-2005, 10:07 AM
that's scary! it's happend to me beofre also...with a german shepherd!

i would carry some mace or whatever it is. i'm pretty sure that would work if you are ever charged again.

rotten_two
02-04-2005, 10:17 AM
there is really no simple solution it always depends on the dogs involved. the first thing i think i would try is talking to the irresponsible owner who let's his dog run about willy nilly. if that doesn't work i would think about another route. if that is not possible there are a couple of last ditch methods you can try. remember the important thing is that the dogs don't make eye contact or posture etc or else it will escalate with lightning speed and then things get ugly!

1) i think your best bet is change directions and walk away (keep your own dogs focused on you -- use treats if you have to -- to keep your dogs eyes on you) that way the gsd perceives he has done his job and scared you off!

2) you could put yourself between the oncoming dog and your guys this way you can prevent direct eye contact and it will confuse the oncoming dog a bit -- if he has to think then you now have a few seconds to react with your dogs and go another way or the other owner can call his dog.

3) instead of yelling no put your arms straight out in front of you (typical stop signal) and say sit in a stern voice. sometimes it works and then the owner can get his dog under control.

4) keep a load of treats with you if the dog is still coming toward you and nothing has worked throw them at the dog and aim right for his nose (more likely to smell them that way) when they scatter hopefully he will go after them again buying a precious few seconds to react and get your dogs out of dodge!

just a few suggestions i hope they help :)

senorita02
02-04-2005, 10:24 AM
That is scary. around where i live there are stray dogs all over, so when we walk i have run into a stray Pitt before and i was very scared, i was walking Senorita and she is twice his size but she is a big baby, i just did not make eye contact , he was staring us down the whole time, and i walked my normal pace, then when he got out of site we ran home. Ever since then i have not walked her, this was at the end of the season, and im nervous, this year , i may take her over to where my mom lives to walk this year. And i think the mace idea is good, too.

PJ's Mom
02-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I had the same thing happen when I was out with my two.

Only I was attacked by a Yorkie. :rolleyes: :D A firm "no" a few times did the trick for me. :)

MariaM
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Grrrrr....that happens to me ALL too often. One day is this black border collie, running around time (I believe she's always free) and another dog who comes and roams around town when "he doesn't get fed" and even today, I was walking Major and I noticed he was pulling a bit harder than usual but my head was down because of the cold wind. Well we were almost at my house, I look up, and this black and white border collie is walking out of my yard. :mad: I turned Major around and started walking the other way until he left, which thankfully wasn't too long.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but I can't stand people who let their dogs loose!

Pit Chick
02-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I would go talk to the GSDs owner and express to them the dangers of their dog running loose and tell them if the dog is out again you will call animal control on them. If there is a leash law in your town they should come out and warn the owner, give the owner a citation, or impound the dog if the owner isn't around. Mase is a good idea too. You shouldn't have to change your route because the GSDs owner is irresponsible. Jada could do some serious damage to that dog and unfortunately it would be her fault just because she's a Pit.

GraciesMommy
02-04-2005, 05:59 PM
We were walking Gracie around our subdivision when she was just a tiny baby and a woman was getting out of her car in her own driveway and her little long hair doxie jumped out of her car before she could grab her and started straight for Gracie...the woman was screaming "she bites, she bites" and I freaked out...trying to grab Gracie up but she laid down in submission and just laid there..she was only 3 pounds at the time..and the doxie was on top of her...but not biting...me, the woman, my husband all running around each other in circles getting tangled up in the leash...all trying to grab a dog..it was hysterical to anyone watching, I am sure..but it shook me up, Gracie was scared too death...and the woman was crying because she thought Gracie was a has been..she just knew her dog was going to eat her up..and she was probably seeing a lawsuit flash before her eyes, since Gracie was on a leash and hers wasn't and we have leash laws..Needless to say, I carried Gracie the rest of the way home...

Now I watch for any dog that is out...because I am afraid of it happening again..and gracie is only 9 pounds..most dogs in our neighborhood are much bigger...but when out walking they are also on leashes..but you never know when one could get away from their owner..

wolfsoul
02-04-2005, 07:09 PM
This has happened to me a few times, so fast I never have time to think. With another dog charging, Timber pulls forward to meet the dog. My immediate reaction is to pull her back, step in front of her, and scream "Hey!" at the opposing dog.

cloverfdx
02-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Thats why we dont go for onlead walks around resident area's anymore :(. It happened one too many times for my liking.

I usually just yell at the dog and hope that it goes away.

Kristl
02-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Once me and Bull were outside and he kept pulling, and I saw a pitbull coming through the yard. I just picked up Bull and we went inside. The pit didn't pay us any attention. I am not scared of pits, I think they're beautiful dogs, but I was worried because Bull being a pup, thinks EVERYONE wants to play with him. I haven't seen that pit since.

LKPike
02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
on Frankie's first walk with me, just around the neighborhood, 3 large dogs came flying out of this huge house's (you can afford that house, but not a fence? wow!) yard, I walked to the other side of the street because usually thatll make them stop - being away from what they consider their territory - but they didnt, ran right up and circled around me and Frankie. one had just actually bit Frankie when the owner came out, called them, I checked Frankie to make sure he wasnt hurt, and screamed at the guy loud enough that his neighbors would hear too, if his animals attack my dog again I WILL show up with police and scpa.

Havent had any more problems out that part of the neighborhood.

I'd like to get some of the pet mace stuff some companys make, I just forgot where it was available :(