PDA

View Full Version : Such pretty boys!!

Laura's Babies
02-04-2005, 09:08 AM
We brought Wally and Marty back to my house last night and I am so amazed at how big Wally has gotten and how beautiful they both have gotten. To refresh some of your memories, these are the 2 ferals we caught at Wal-Mart in December. Well, Mike did a great job with them while I was gone and Wally will purr now, when you pet him and accepts being petted and messed with so much better. I used QSL's suggestion of putting them in the pillow case to bring them back here and I took full advantage of how well that works by holding them, petting them and messing with them while they were in the "sack". I told Mike that, the "sack" is the way to go from now on and I plan to do that off and on through out the day with them to handle them, carry them around and just get them use to being messed with and hopefully get them into the spoiled, fat, lap cat mode so we can find them a home. Thoses two have the sweetiest faces.. I am going to take some stuff out of that second bedroom so I can put them in there and get them out of the cage..

Wally, already on his way to being a spoiled fat cat!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM1246.jpg

Marty, still a lot smaller and more frightened than Wally but he has the sweetest face of the two.. I just LOVE their faces for some reason!! Look at the markings on Marty, his tabby markings are more spotted than stripes.. I didn't notice that before.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM1247.jpg

catmandu
02-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Bless yopu,for helping Wally,and Mrty,and the Found Cats,are NOW MMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WWWWWWWIIIIIIIIING,For You.

catlover4ever
02-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Two wonderful looking tabby boys!!!!

QueenScoopalot
02-04-2005, 09:25 AM
They are so handsome looking Laura! Glad the pillowcase idea is working out as far as socializing goes. :) It really does make it easier to handle them when they feel as secure as kangaroos!:D Marty has markings like a California Spangled! Most people have never heard of that breed of cat, but they have spots as opposed to stripes, and are stunning tabbies. I know Wally & Marty are mutts of the cat world, but you could pass Marty off as a C.S!:D What's going on with the Siamese at Wal-Mart that you thought may have been their mother? I wonder if she's expecting kittens...or even still there. Has Mike been feeding there still, or did that stop when you went back to work? :confused:

catnapper
02-04-2005, 09:28 AM
They are handsome devils! I love their markings too... of course I love them! They're handsome tabbies!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-04-2005, 10:10 AM
They're looking wonderful! Just from these two pics, it does look like Wally is the one that is progressing faster. Marty still seems a bit afraid and hiding in the back of the crate.

Good luck with them. I'm sure they'll be love bugs - and adoptable - in no time! :D

Laura's Babies
02-04-2005, 10:30 AM
QSL, Mike stopped feeding when I went back to to work, remember, we were told the manager didn't want us there doing that anymore but he brought it up again last night wishing we could catch that one. I might suggest that we go over there and sit in the parking lot tonight and see if we see her. They had moved out all those lay a way containers before we left so they lost their hiding place... There are just so many out there that need us...

ratchet22
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Cool, I thought I was the only one trying to tame a ferrel. :rolleyes: I would not suggest letting them out though, I felt secure enough and let mine go, and here it is 4 months later and I finally caught him again to get him nuetered. He was neutered last sunday. But since then I have him in him cage. And I can pet him and Im trying to hold him next. What a hard job. I am glad to see someone out there also doing this. Are we crazy?:confused: Or can this really be done? My kid is a big tom cat, hugh head, and very timid towards me, but getting better, And Ive been doing this for almost a year? Is there any hope?:confused:

Barbara
02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
The purrfect tabby men:D
And BTW: welcome Laura!:)

jazzcat
02-04-2005, 11:30 AM
They are so handsome. Glad they are starting to come around. Good luck.

QueenScoopalot
02-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
QSL, Mike stopped feeding when I went back to to work, remember, we were told the manager didn't want us there doing that anymore but he brought it up again last night wishing we could catch that one. I might suggest that we go over there and sit in the parking lot tonight and see if we see her. They had moved out all those lay a way containers before we left so they lost their hiding place... There are just so many out there that need us...
So many, and with no end in sight. :( I hope at the least the ones out there can be TNR, or assessed in a home situation. I feel bad that they aren't getting any nourishing food, or water though. I keep telling myself that we can't save the world...but we can try. ;)

Karen
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ratchet22
Cool, I thought I was the only one trying to tame a ferrel. :rolleyes: I would not suggest letting them out though, I felt secure enough and let mine go, and here it is 4 months later and I finally caught him again to get him nuetered. He was neutered last sunday. But since then I have him in him cage. And I can pet him and Im trying to hold him next. What a hard job. I am glad to see someone out there also doing this. Are we crazy?:confused: Or can this really be done? My kid is a big tom cat, hugh head, and very timid towards me, but getting better, And Ive been doing this for almost a year? Is there any hope?:confused:

There IS hope. With a lot of patience, my sister-in-law fed, caught, had to keep in quarantine, and then socialize a very feral adult male cat. She finally got herself a Have-a-Heart trap from her then-fiance (now husband) one Christmas, and not long afterwards, they noticed Gizmo (the feral) had been in a fight and had a badly infected wound. So they suceeded in trapping him, and she now says she knows that if she hadn;t been the one to bring him in, and stay with him, at the vet's, they would have declared him too wild and unadoptable. Fast-forward to now, and he is a happy, healthy indoor-only cat. He's not a lap-cat by any means, but is otherwise tame as could be.

QueenScoopalot
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Karen
There IS hope. With a lot of patience, my sister-in-law fed, caught, had to keep in quarantine, and then socialize a very feral adult male cat. She finally got herself a Have-a-Heart trap from her then-fiance (now husband) one Christmas, and not long afterwards, they noticed Gizmo (the feral) had been in a fight and had a badly infected wound. So they suceeded in trapping him, and she now says she knows that if she hadn;t been the one to bring him in, and stay with him, at the vet's, they would have declared him too wild and unadoptable. Fast-forward to now, and he is a happy, healthy indoor-only cat. He's not a lap-cat by any means, but is otherwise tame as could be.
I have several ferals here that couldn't be TNR as the places they came from were awful! They were part way between being social, but not quite adoptable. Lola (in my siggy) couldn't be released for obvious reasons...vision impaired, and most likely blind. I've had her for a year and a half, and she's finally letting me pat her some. She must see my shadow, and has always run from me. Ferals can be tamed, but it takes time, and patience. Also they do tend to bond to one person in many cases. ;) Usually I keep ferals caged until they let me hold them, and purr. Once they get a clean bill of health, then providing they don't go into hiding, I let them out on a trial basis. No hiding=freedom! Hiding=cage time again. The smaller the area they have when first released inside, the better too. ;)