PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking about the chip for my dog...

Bullboxer
02-03-2005, 07:51 PM
I have been thinking about getting the chip for my dog. My vet will charge me $65. Is this the going rate? How many of you have the chip for your pet?

Shelteez2
02-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Both of my dogs are microchipped.

Emily was done as a pup before I got her so I don't know how much it cost.
Clipse was done right after I got him at 7 months of age, but I was working at a vet clinic at the time so I only paid $25.
Sorry that's not much of a help.
$65 does seem like a lot though.
Somtimes shelters put on microchipping clinics. Maybe you can look into that?

Lexi_Lover
02-03-2005, 08:19 PM
ITS 75$ HERE FOR A MICRO-CHIP!!!:eek:

wolfsoul
02-03-2005, 08:33 PM
I think the average is around $20, but over here it costs $200.

clara4457
02-03-2005, 08:36 PM
I think microchipping your animals is about the best way to insure the safety of your pet. If they ever (heaven forbid) get loose, virtually all vets and shelters (at least in my area) will scan for a microchip first thing.

Most vets in my area charge between $40 and $50 for microchipping. Since you can buy the microchips for about $5.00 plus a $2.50 registration fee, plus the needle needed - there is a definite mark-up at the vet's office. Many rescue organizations will use a microchipping as a fundraiser. I have seen them in this area charging between $20-$35 each.

Make sure you are not getting your dog microchipped with the Banfield chip (at Petsmart). Although there is nothing wrong with the chip - most vets, shelters, and rescues in the US use the scanner that scans a different frequency than the Banfield chips. If you are microchipping in the US, you should make sure they are using either Avid or Home Again chips.

I am not sure about chips in Canada, you should probably check with the local shelters to find out what scanners they use to ensure you are getting the right chip.

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-03-2005, 08:39 PM
I *think* I got Tango's done for about $35, somewhere around there anyway:)

wolf_Q
02-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Nebo's was around $30...that really does seem pricey to me. I've seen them for even cheaper at some of the vaccination clinics and such too.

Bullboxer
02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
thank you so much for the informative responses. I just looked at avids website and saw this "We have heard fees ranging from $25 to $40 depending on the area of the practice and what other services are being offered. Many veterinarians provide a discount if your pet is identified while in for routine surgery or dental work."

Home again site info.

The cost for purchasing HomeAgain microchip identification for your pet is $63.50. This purchase price includes:
http://www.homeagainid.com/images/circles.jpg

I think my vet told me about this one.

LuvGold00
02-03-2005, 08:58 PM
You're vet sounds expensive, I just got Nova chipped and it cost me $40.00 and no office visit because it took 2 seconds. Maybe you can look for a microchipping clinic in your area? Or maybe another vet hospital can do it?

And I thought $40.00 was alot... ouch!

Bullboxer
02-03-2005, 11:36 PM
now I need to decide which chip:confused: Avid or home again? Any opinions on which one to use?

Corinna
02-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Ok this will sound funny coming from me miss holistic health but I would have the vet do it if you haven't got medical experance if you put the chip to far in you can lose the readablity.and can cause muscle damage.
The chip is easy to do if you know how, we have used them on our large taxidermy mounts that way if stolen as some have the law enforcement can check it. We keep the # on file and give the paper work to the owner.

schteve_d
02-04-2005, 03:06 AM
I got both Bud and Tash done about ten years ago, so I'm sorry I don't remember the cost. One time Buddy got loose when he was being Dog-sat and the SPCA called me and since then, it doesn't matter what it cost! I would recommend it to anyone.

Rio and Me
02-04-2005, 05:29 AM
Wow all are so pricey over here its about £15 at most vets max £20.
Rio had hers done, Bax well im not sure weather to Tattoo his ear or microchip him?
Ky

vinjashira
02-04-2005, 05:54 AM
I would also recommend to have it done by your vet because you only need it once.

vinjashira
02-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Rio and Me
Rio had hers done, Bax well im not sure weather to Tattoo his ear or microchip him?
Ky

where I come from, dogs are tattooed not chipped, but the probelm with tattoo, although it is permanent as well, it may be difficult to read as time goes by so personally I would recommed microchipping.

pitc9
02-04-2005, 07:34 AM
Both of mine are chipped, they cost me $30 each for the chip, then $23 to register them both with AVID.
The piece of mind is worth EVERY penny!

cyber-sibes
02-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Our vet advised chipping over tattooing because he said he's seen many dogs whose ears had been clipped off by thieves to remove the tattoo.
Microchips were just being introduced into our area 8 years ago and our vet only charged us $5! What a nice guy! Sherman was already chipped, so I don't know his $$.
Definitly check out your humane society for a chipping clinic - I think it's round $15.00 here during a clinic.

Bullboxer
02-04-2005, 09:30 AM
My vet does both the tattoo and the chip. They like the chip over the tattoo. I will have my vet do it and the cost isnt a problem as long as its the going rate, or close to it. I know my vet is more expensive then others around me. His office charge is $59 (little cheaper then other vets) but he nails you will meds and lab work. My old vet (who retired) was awesome. He always would give you the option to purchase vet products then he would tell you what you could use around your house.

There is no doubt Im getting the chip, its a matter of which one now;) avid or home again??????

stacwase
02-05-2005, 08:39 AM
I hope you don't mind me just sneaking in and asking some questions, while you all are on the subject of chips.

If a dog gets lost and brought to the animal shelter, does the shelter automatically scan for a chip? Do all animal shelters have scanners? Are they pretty cheap?

I was thinking of chipping, too - but I thought that in our remote area they might not have scanners readily available.

anna_66
02-05-2005, 08:48 AM
We have Home Again as they said that was the most popular in our area & most of the shelters and vets have a scanner for that.
And as for the price, I got an amazing deal when we were at the Husky Hike last year. I only paid $20 for both of the girls (my friend was involved with the fundraiser).

stacewase~I would call around if I were you to find out what the shelters and vets office (what type they have if any).

Bullboxer
02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
I read the FAQ's on avid' site and they provide the vet,clinic, shelters with a free scanner. I am not sure about home again.

ChrisH
02-05-2005, 09:43 AM
It cost £30 (around $54) at my vets but the Dogs Trust (dog charity) has a 'roadshow' in town on March 1st and they are chipping for £9.50 (around $17), so I hope to get Bob done then. :D

Chris

Cincy'sMom
02-05-2005, 10:04 AM
All three of our's are chipped. I think I paid $35 each at the vet's and then ~$13 to register them. Their chips are Home Again

senorita02
02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Senorita has a micro chip, but we paid for it in the price of buying her, so i dont know, plus it was in Canada so the price would be different.

cyber-sibes
02-05-2005, 06:00 PM
was thinking of chipping, too - but I thought that in our remote area they might not have scanners readily available.
Why don't you call your local humane society and animal warden and ask if they scan?

When we got Star microchipped, we lived in a small town about 150 miles from any big city - When she was a puppy,Star was returned to us within minutes of disappearing (she was so small she slipped thru the fence) and the dog warden said he happened to be in the area and picked her up and scanned her. We were so grateful she was chipped! Our vet had been skeptical, he thought that until satellites could track the chips, they would be kind of a waste, but I'm telling you my experience proved otherwise - I hate to think that she may not have been returned to us.
Collars come off, she's lost her tags twice, at least I know wherever she is, she's trackable.

Vette
02-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah tattoos fade off. my friend had her dog tattooed 5 years ago and you cant really read it anymore,, even with glasses. although i dont have my dog chipped,, yet anyway.. i think its a good idea and better then tattooing

sirrahved
02-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I think chips are great! Pretty painless, too.

Suki Wingy
02-05-2005, 09:14 PM
OMG!!! Don't think, just microchip NOW! If your dog gets lost there is a chance the chip could bring him home!