PDA

View Full Version : Sahara Vet Update...

shutterbug0303
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey all! We took the big moose to the vet yesterday after a month away. I was nervous for the results of her skin scrapes, and here's what we found out....Only 2 dead mites left on her body!!!!!! :D From thousands of lives ones!!! :D She is also better!!!! I am so happy for my big girl!!

We begin weaning her off of the Ivermectin by lowering her dosage by 1/3 for the first month. She is also to wear a tick collar now, since it has some of the same ingredients in it. If things are still good and we see no changes in her after the first month, we'll lower it again and wait another month. So, by her first birthday, she should be off the meds!! :D He said she would probably be wearing the tick collar for a very long time to keep that med on her in some form. Also, this could come back at any moment and the key is to catch it early. Now that we know the signs and what to look for, we should be able to treat it topically with the Mitoban dip if it happens again (much less invasive in her body and less $$ as well). We also are experiencing some weight gain finally!! She came it at 104.6 pounds yesterday! Up from 96 last month at this time!!

We are def. going to celebrate this! I'm so happy that my girl is heading for the free and clear zone! :D :D Hopefully some pics to come for the celebration! ;)

luvofallhorses
02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I am glad she is better :D (((hugs to you and Sahara)))

tatsxxx11
02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Woo Hoo!!!:D What great, wonderful news! Phew! Take a deep breath Mom:) Sounds like you have a wonderful vet, very thorough, and that makes all the difference in the world:) Hugs to you Sahara! Keep up the good work:) Sandra

chocolatepuppy
02-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Yay! I'm glad sweet Sahara is doing better! :)

micki76
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
That is GREAT news!! YAY!! :D :D :D

petslover
02-03-2005, 09:52 PM
That is great.

vinjashira
02-04-2005, 06:11 AM
that's good news! we are happy for you!

anna_66
02-04-2005, 08:35 AM
What wonderful news!!!:D

shutterbug0303
02-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone! We are so happy for our big girl! We started to get really nervous around November...kept getting very bad news and dismal outlooks...but boy did that Ivermectin do it's job! :D