PDA

View Full Version : Snot Boy!

catnapper
02-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Poor Murphy, he had sneezes, they went away and now he's snot boy. It looks like he's having a hard time breathing. :( Is there anything I could do to help him? A hot wet cloth? Time in a steamy bathroom? Poor litte guy.

Guess he won't be going to the cat show for adoption this weekend.

Sigh... I know my guys will all come down with this too. :(

moosmom
02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Kim,

Mollie Rose, my 11 year old Tortie has sneezing problems. I give her a half a tab of Chlortrimeton. It clears up her sneezing, stuffy nose and watery eyes.

I would take him to the vet if you can to rule out a URI first. If it IS a URI, he'll need an antibiotic. Mollie Rose has had this problem for a while, all because she was exposed to a herpes virus as a kitten. There's really not alot that can be done except for the Chlortrimeton.

Let me know how you make out.

jenluckenbach
02-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Run a hot shower and let him sit in the bathroom with the steam, it will help.

I know Kim is able to get the needed antibiotics through the rescue, but watching them suffer to breath is always so hard. :(

A cold in kitties, just like in humans does not always affect everyone the same. your adults may not succumb.

Give Murphy a little hug from me.

catnapper
02-02-2005, 07:27 PM
He's on Clavamox. Has been for 8 days or so now. It doesn't seem to be doing anything for him :(

What kills me most is that there is a huge cat show this weekend. He can't go now. Suppose he's telling me he wants to hang out here for a while longer?

Problem also is that he runs from me now. He hates being pilled, and I'm going to be adding more meds - something to help with his congestion that the rescue will be giving me tomorrow. I wish he'd be more cuddly with me and hubby. He refuses to sleep with the other cats and us at night (I know he and Harry are buddies so I can't figure out why those two don't sleep together) He sleeps in the livingroom on the pillow next to the fireplace (no the fireplace is not on.) I guess its a good thing he won't sleep with my guys, so perhaps they have a chance of not getting the same cold. But chances are good that they've already been exposed and will get it too.

Goodness, I'm about to enter the snot zone!

kimlovescats
02-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Kim ... the Clavamox didn't do a thing for all my snotty babies either. :rolleyes:

jazzcat
02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Poor Murphy. I guess he does want to stay with you a little longer.

When Jazz was a kitten and had a URI it seemed like Clavamox didn't really help that much and it was more of time that took care of it. Of course it could have been that more of that horrible pink stuff ended up on me than in her mouth. It smelled like bubble gum. Why make pet medicine smell or taste like bubble gum. Have you ever seen an animal chewing gum? Ridiculous!

moosmom
02-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Kim,

Ask your vet about Zythromax. It's a pediatric antibiotic that works really well. Clavamox isn't that great. SOME vets will prescribe it for cats. It's a bit expensive, but it does work. It's about $50 and comes in liquid form. They sweeten it up with honey because the taste can be bitter.

catnapper
02-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
I guess he does want to stay with you a little longer.
I bet you are just doing a big old happy dance, aren't you? He's really trying to worm his way into staying isn't he?

The rescue thinks that since he was so tiny that he's more succeptable to the colds than the others. Nobody else is sneezing. Even with Katrina's spay this morning, she is healthy as a horse right now (her spay incision looks fantastic! No swelling or rednessin the least.. wish I oculd say the same for Abby's.) Anyway, Murphy is such a tiny boy and has been through so much in his young life that he just succombs to germs faster. We'll see if my guys get it... if anyone I'll bet Abby since she's also small and a big drama queen. I bet Allen doesn't so much as sneeze once.

With as much as I've been through with him in the past two weeks, I will have a hard time letting him go if he doesn't get healthy and find a home soon. I bond over the daily fights to get pills in him. Then I sit there and coo to him hoping he forgives me. He doesn't - he resents that I pill him. You should see my desk right now! A nice array of cat drugs all lined up, with an e collar at the end of the row! :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
02-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Just for the record, if I understand correctly, clavamox and other antibiotics are not MEANT to cure symptoms. The symnptoms, like with a person with a cold, need to work themselves through. The antibiotic prevents WORSE things from settling in while the cat is unhealthy.

ratchet22
02-03-2005, 06:09 AM
baytril has worked well with my little ones and their snot noses

christa
02-03-2005, 07:13 AM
I've recently had problems with a URI, as you may remember.

L-Lysine is the way to go! You might want to give it to all your cats in fact. Just crush it up in their food . . . works wonders! Someone on here suggested it to me and it worked great! Kept Josie from getting the URI and cleared up Brodie faster than we thought.

catlover4ever
02-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Gracie was like that for a while. I used to put her in her crate, put blankets over the crate and run a steam vaporizer for her. This seemed to help her breathing quite a bit.

I hope Murphy is feeling better soon.

christa
02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by christa
L-Lysine is the way to go! You might want to give it to all your cats in fact. Just crush it up in their food . . . works wonders! Someone on here suggested it to me and it worked great! Kept Josie from getting the URI and cleared up Brodie faster than we thought.

I just found my old thread . . . QSA suggested L-Lysine to me. Here's the link where she talks about it:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66810&highlight=LLysine

catmandu
02-03-2005, 08:29 AM
The Found Cats ,add thier Prayers,to the Chorus,and pray,that Murphy,will get well,soon,and be able,to breathe again.