PDA

View Full Version : Hampster help.

Buddy2101
08-25-2001, 04:39 PM
I am going to be getting a hampster eather today or tomrrow. I was just wondering is there anyhting he or she is going to need. I have a wheel, ceder, a lil house for him or her to sleep in and a plastic cage witha a wire lid for him or her to sleep in. I will be getting food along wiht the hammy so I will be gettign that. I am so exited I can't wiat for him or her to come ohome with me! I was also wondering if you all could give me your fav names to name any animal cause I don't know what to name him or her. Thanx so mcuh to those of you who respond to this.

Karen
08-25-2001, 06:19 PM
You also need bedding - Carefresh is good stuff, made out of recycled newspapers, safe and not scented. Or is the cedar you mention cedar chips for bedding? Gosh, how exciting! I wouldn't pick out a name til you've chosen a hamster - his or her coloring or personality may suggest the best name! If not, let us know, and we'll all, I'm sure, chip in with names!

Buddy2101
08-25-2001, 10:54 PM
We have beding for them. Thanx for the help. I was thinking about using tissue for the beding will that work or will it harm the hampster. I am so exited tomrrow is the big day! I can't sleep I am so exited I love adding new pets to the family you just have to watch out for teh cats! Will my hammy need a friend. Should I get 2 or is one better? Hmm? Thanx for the help

Logan
08-26-2001, 07:07 AM
Hi Buddy, and congratulations on your new hamster! But a quick word of advice to your last question...if you get two, make sure you have two sets of supplies, and most especially two cages. Hamsters are very solitary animals and will fight if kept in the same cage. A male and female will get along temporarally, but then you'll have baby hamsters! LOL!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Make sure you have a cage with enough room for him/her to get good exercise, and I prefer Aspen shavings to cedar. Somewhere I read that they are the better choice...but I have used both.

I know you will love your new hamster. We have two and love them dearly. Let us know what name you decide on, once you have met the new little guy! :D

Buddy2101
08-26-2001, 02:53 PM
We have deced to wait till the next weekend. There has been a murder in the church and we have alot going on with all of that so we figured it would be unfare to bring the lil guy into the house at a time like this. So we are going to wait till we can spend alot of time with him or her. I am so exited though! I have had a hampster in the past, I loved him to death. I can't wait to bring him or her home! Thanx for the help!

I_LOVE_ROTTS
08-26-2001, 02:54 PM
hi- i have had alot of hampsters, i have also raised them. One of my favorite names is Bernard cause it sounds like a big dog name and then u look at him and hes so cute and small-let us know what u decide on :D

Daisy's Mom
08-26-2001, 07:37 PM
Wow... I am very sorry to hear about the murder in your church. Scary...

As for your hamster, you must be so excited! I had one, my sweet Ritz, who died when I was in sixth grade and I still miss him. Hamsters are sweet and adorable and can bring a lot of joy into your life. Make sure your hammy has lots of fresh, clean water every day, and lots of food. Ritz used to hoard his food (he'd stuff his cheeks and go bury it in a corner for later!). Also, I remember the pet store person who sold Ritz to me said that it takes a hamster 3 days to get used to his new surroundings and that you shouldn't try to pick them up until those 3 days are through. My little sister decided not to listen to this advice, and the next day she reached in and got bitten. I, on the other hand, gave Ritz 3 more days to get accustomed to his new life and when I reached in for him, he was a perfect little sweetie! So my advice is just let him be for 3 days. Keep us posted on how it all goes! I am so excited for you!

Angeldazy_08
08-27-2001, 06:29 PM
Hi my name is Taz (a hamster!) Hope u got lots of treats cause you know how much we love treats!!!!!! my fav name would have to be Taz! cause dats my name!! As soon as you pic i hope u will post it!! my humans are so slow we still don't have our scanner up but if you are wondering what i look like i like 8/22/01 wich is my b-day 2!! ;)

Dog lover5678
08-30-2001, 08:07 AM
Hello my name is snickers and my mommy (Dog lover5678)Has raised me good Oh and make shure to get a water bottle for the cagee I have a good name for a hampster Stuart Little Well Nicolle came down now gotta run................................

evelyn1157
08-30-2001, 09:40 AM
i think it's better to use wood shavings rather than tissue coz your hamster might end up eating the tissue.my hamster's a syrian satin and she doesn't use her wheel at all. :confused:

Buddy2101
08-30-2001, 08:03 PM
I got him today! He is so cute. He has long but yet still short hair. he is like a sandy type of color. He is so cute I still don't know what to name him please keep comeing with the names. thanx a bunch Nikki and her new Pet

Logan
08-30-2001, 10:19 PM
I hope you will enjoy him! How about "Sandy" for a name? Our last boy was Rusty because he was rust colored. So original....I know!

Have fun!!

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 01:58 AM
Congratulations on your new baby! My hamster was that color too, and his name was Ritz. How about, since he is sand colored, naming him after your favorite beach?

Buddy2101
08-31-2001, 06:34 PM
Make sure you have a cage with enough room for him/her to get good exercise, and I prefer Aspen shavings to cedar.

Thanx Logan for giveing my hampsters name. I named HIm aspen after the ceder. Thanx to everyone for putting in there opionins! So Aspen finally has a name. He is sweet and I am so happy I got him! Tahnx to everyone for there help.

Buddy2101
09-08-2001, 10:23 AM
Guys I am so upset! My hampster is biting people now and I dont' kwno why. He bit my sister but has never bit me. I still trust him but I don't want to be bit by him.I still want to have him but if he bits I am afreid I will have to give him away. Please any help on this?

Karen
09-08-2001, 11:32 AM
What were the circumstances with him biting her? Does she handle him often? I wouldn't panic at this point - it could be that he just has to get used to her, or that she inadvertantly did something to startle him.

Logan
09-08-2001, 11:48 AM
You have to be very patient and careful with new hamsters, especially. Tell your sister to make sure that Aspen (love the name, by the way) is fully awake and has had a chance to move around the cage some before trying to take him out. Our Olivia, who is fairly new to our house, hasn't yet gotten used to being picked up. So I usually offer her a fist first (kindly, course :eek: ) and then slowly open my hand up. I usually have to corner her to pick her up, but once I have her in my hand, she's fine.

Our only bites have occured when we woke one up too quickly and immediately tried to pick it up...of course, they only wake up usually when we are asleep!

Good luck! :)

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Buddy2101
09-08-2001, 04:03 PM
Ok, thanx guys I was so scared I would have to get ride of him. She has only held him once. I try to handle him at least a hour a day but sometimes it just doesn't work out. He is so cute I lvoe him so much he loves to sit on my lap and watch tv (he actually stares at the tv) I haven't had the courge to pick him up yet but I am ggoing to do it here in a lil bit. Another question is it true that if hampsters smell food on your hand then there is a chance they will bite cause she said she just got done eating cheese puffs and he bit her on the finger she was eating them with. I don't know thoguh but thanx everyone.

Logan
09-08-2001, 10:26 PM
Ha Ha!! Maybe Aspen thought your sister's finger was a great big Cheeto! I definitely think that could be part of the problem. So, another suggestion is to wash up before picking up! :D

Buddy2101
09-09-2001, 11:47 AM
Ok problem!!!!He just bit me. I think he has turned mean. I don't know cause he was just running from hand to hand and then I felt his teeth enter my skin! I am so upset. I don't want to loose him but then I got him so I could play with him not just so that he can sit there! Please help. I don't know what to do. I also want to say thanx to all of you for helping me I know some of my questions are weird btu I want to give him the best home possible and you guys are the most experinced people I knwo. So thanx for putting up with my lil questions.

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: Buddy2101 ]

Logan
09-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Instead of trying to hold him so much, why don't you create a "playground" for him. I have read on a hamster site that many folks have set up a big Rubbermaid plastic bin with shavings and toys and given their hammies some extra exercise and different surroundings there for a little while each day. Of course, you would be right there, supervising. Why don't you check out this community? Maybe you can get some better ideas there. Here's the link: http://communities.msn.com/Hamstersgalore .

One thing you might have to realize is that it will take some time for Aspen to get accustomed to being held. That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy him in other ways. Try handfeeding him some neat treats, like yogurt drops, or a small piece of lettuce or carrot. You just need to take your time, and introduce him slowly. Remember that this is all new to him too, and he can probably sense your fear of being bitten, which frightens him.

I feel a little embarassed by responding when I am not an expert either. But maybe the link to that community will help you. Good luck! :)

Buddy2101
09-10-2001, 05:52 PM
Ok this is the verdict on Aspen. I am going to hand train him. :) But I don't know how. But this is what I was thinking. The only time he would be aloud out of his cage was when I was holding him but when he bites me he gets put bakc in the cage for 5 mins then gets to come back out. I am hopeing he will get the idea that the only time he is aloud out of the cage is when I am holding him and if he bites me there is no more play time. Then after that we will move onto puttign him in a exersise ball. Does this sound like a good idea or do you guys have something that would be better? :confused:

Logan
09-10-2001, 06:41 PM
I don't know if you can train a hamster that way, Buddy. He's not a dog. Have you done any searches on the internet yet? Or checked into that hamster community I mentioned? Or bought a book about hamsters?

I just know you take it slowly...and that he probably isn't going to understand a "time out".

I think patience is the best thing at this point.