PDA

View Full Version : Cats at places of business - Shopcats!

sirrahbed
02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Awhile back, we talked about shopcats and whether or not we would return to a store that had one. I told you about our florist and her shopcat - well - here is Dusty!! I told the owner, Carolyn about PT and the thread, and she sent me this picture. Dusty is about 14-15 years old and is the welcoming force at the flower shop, Hollon's Flowers, here in Fairborn, OH where I live. Dusty is happy to show you around, stop for some lovins and just makes the visit all that much more enjoyable.:D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid156/pa0917bab33994b6e0353f924556d4fcb/f543393e.jpg

Do you have any shopcats pictures or stories to share??

Kristl
02-01-2005, 03:06 PM
My dad's cat Bailey came from a liquor store. The owners had sold the building to a gas station chain and they couldn't have the cat in the gas station. Not that my dad is a drunk, but he was in the store once or twice a week and they asked him if he would take her. He did, and now she lives at his house. She's the meanie persian mix. She doesn't have claws, but she can tear you up!!!!

Freckles
02-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Is Dusty listed in SHOPCATS (http://www.shopcat.com/) ?

sirrahbed
02-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Not yet, but I sent Carolyn the link:D I would love to see Dusty listed there!! This picture is terrific but I'd like to see some "action shots" with the flowers:p

My daughter (the 20 year old) used to stop there just to pet the kitty!! Remember Missy??

Sirrahsim
02-01-2005, 07:23 PM
yes, I remember:) Such a sweet little kitty!

stacwase
02-02-2005, 06:12 AM
There was a used bookstore that I used to go to which had a shopcat. She was always there, laying on a chair. It was really the most perfect place for her - something about cats, books, and chairs - they just belong together!

ramanth
02-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I've always meant to bring this up but would always forget. LOL!

There are quite a few shops in Williamston that have cats. The jewlery store has two, the dance studio has a lovely diluted calico, and an art store has a kitty too I believe.

The owners of Triple Goddess Bookstore will usually bring a cat or two from their home to work with them, however recently a stray female has adopted the store as her home and doesn't like other cats so their kitties have been staying home.

I was in the store the other day and as soon as the other customers left, Bunny (the stray) came zipping out and rubbed all over my ankles wanting love. The owner said, 'Well, that's strange. She doesn't really like strangers. She must really like you!' :D

A florist in Williamston has a beagle that works there and the dollar store has some labs that help out (Kia is welcome in the store). :)

I'll have to tell them about that website. :)

stacwase
02-02-2005, 11:05 AM
At one of the galleries where I have my paintings, they also sell beautiful little glass items & jewelry in a glass display case. They have the most georgous little cat who lives there. Her eyes match the colored glass in the case - it's just striking!

Twisterdog
02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Well ... here's my sure-to-be-unpopular opinion of cats in businesses:

I'm VERY allergic to cats ... not just a sneeze or two, I could easily wind up in the emergency room from being around a cat. I don't dislike cats, I just can't be in a room with them. Therefore, I do NOT appreciate it when I go into a store to buy a book or a cup of coffee, and there are cats wandering around. I just have to leave.

My mechanic has numerous cats living in his garage. They don't bother my allergies, since the building is HUGE. However, one time I picked my car up from him, and it had scratches from cat claws down the fender. I was NOT pleased.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I know 3 shop cats. One lives at a Christian book store, one lives at a feed store, and the third is Sophia who lives at my work.

This is Sophia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/other/sophia.jpg

Toby's my baby
02-02-2005, 08:45 PM
We have a lot of shop cats around here. At two gas stations, there are cats and at the KTRF radio station. I remember when the gas station got the cat, me and my sister were over there and we played with it for hours while my dads truck was getting fixed. While we were there we named the cat, and all the emplyees thought it was a good name, so it stuck. It was a while back, so i dont rember the name though...