PDA

View Full Version : My first appointment with counselor

Tina
02-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I went in today for my first appointment to a couselor for my depression. It went pretty well I believe I actually talked to her more then I thought I would. I told her things that I haven't told some people about before. She was very nice and made me feel comfortable.

I go in next week for a appointment get my meds checked maybe get on another kind. I really do not think the paxil is helping me much. Then I have another counseling session on Valentine's Day.

Well just thought I'd let everyone know my first appointment went well.:)

GraciesMommy
02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Glad to hear it went well and you are comfortable talking to the doctor..

luvofallhorses
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Glad it went well :D and I am glad you feel comfortable talking to her even for the first time when I talked to my counselor at school at first for the first part of the year I didn't feel comfortable talking to her because I was shy(I usually am when I first meet people) and I just warmed up to her :o good luck with the medications keep us updated;)*hugs*

Lexi_Lover
02-01-2005, 02:49 PM
That's excellent news! I'm glad to hear it all went well! I would have never known you were going through such a tough time:( But, on a brighter note, I'm glad that you'Re getting help for it!:) Thats a very responsible way to handle it;)

(((((HUGS)))))

carole
02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Tina I am very pleased your session went so well, being comfortable with the counsellor will make all the difference, one has to relate well, or it simply won't work, great stuff, good on you for taking that first step, and I wish you well in the forthcoming appointments.

PJ's Mom
02-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Seeking help isn't an easy thing to do. Congrats to you for taking the first step and good luck! :)

Christiansmommy
02-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Glad to know you went to a counselor. Too many people who suffer from depression, don't even take that first step, and it is a shame...i am glad you went, and I hope you will see progress!!((((hugs))))

cookieluver7
02-01-2005, 03:45 PM
It's good to know that you got help for your depression and that you are comfortable talking to a doctor. It's also good to know that your first appointment went well and I hope all the other ones go just as good. Please keep us posted! {{{HUGS}}}

anna_66
02-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Tina,
It's good to hear that your session went well and you like your dr. I do hope that she can help you.

CountryWolf07
02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
That's good news, Tina!! :)

K9soul
02-01-2005, 04:20 PM
So glad your first appointment went well, that you felt comfortable with your counselor, and most of all that you are feeling more hopeful :).

A couple things I started making a conscious effort to do to help my overall mood and energy level up awhile back are to keep the area where I spend the most time in a pleasant warm lighting and drink plenty of fluids (this can make a surprising difference!). I was always bad about remembering to drink enough water during the day and that can really affect one's mood and energy level. Just trying to think of little things that help. Everytime something, no matter how small, improved my mood, I always felt I was moving forward and getting better :)

NoahsMommy
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
That's great to hear, Tina! :)

Corinna
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear the good news . As I said before I'm here as acheerleader or shoulder if need be.

micki76
02-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm so glad it went well. :) I hope you can start to feel better about yourself and your life. :) It's hard to get out of serious depression, I can't say I've ever been truly clinicly depressed, but I have felt like that temporarily. If what I felt like then is what you feel like all the time, it must be horrible. :(

Congrats for taking the first steps towards a whole new you!

K9karen
02-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Good for you! Been there myself (I loved my dad so much, his death was overwhelming). A third, unattached party really helps. I felt embarassed at first; a grown woman unable to cope with such sadness, but opening up and being honest and unafraid really really helped. Your emotions are probably normal, just overwhelming. I hope, Tina, that the sun begins to shine again for you. Chin Up!

Tina
02-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the encourging words it does mean alot to me.:)

Yes, I believe I made a good decision going in for couseling. I just hope it will help me or atleast some.:)

emily_the_spoiled
02-02-2005, 09:49 AM
I am glad that you felt comfortable talking with your counselor. Having seen a number of different counselors, when it "clicks" it can work wonders for you. Keep going and it will help.

BTW, the meds do take upto 6-8 weeks before you can start seeing an effect. So sometimes it is a matter of waiting or playing with the doses a little.

Queen of Poop
02-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Good for you for going for counseling. Have faith, it will help tremendously if you stick with it. I have spent the last year seeing a wonderful counselor to combat my anxiety and it has made such a difference in my life. I am certain that your counselor will do the same for you. The very best of luck to you my dear!!:)