PDA

View Full Version : Fearful Kitten?

SammyCat
02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I recently adopted a female kitten. Her name is Sammy/Sam for short. I think she's a medium grey/black/brown haired tabby. Since the moment Sam entered our house, she never comes out. She hides down stairs. I don't know whats wrong with her or if hiding is in her nature. Anyone here know anything about this or can help?

Here is the kind of kitten I am talking about. She is 3 months old btw

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL828/3188126/6501988/83645984.jpg

NKBurlington
02-01-2005, 11:53 AM
How long have you had her?

I would just give her some time. Shy/timmid cats take some time to adjust to their new surroundings.

Try and spend some time near her. Leave her food and water so that when she does venture out, she has something to eat and drink.

I'm sure she'll be fine in time.

moosmom
02-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Just give her time. She'll come out on her own. Some cats a like that. Whenever I get a new cat, I always isolate them in a room with their litterbox, food, water, toys and a radio playing. Eventually (after a couple of days, or whenever I feel comfortable) I let the cat out to explore the surroundings. I ALWAYS make sure I'm at home when I do this. Cats are strange creatures of habit. They don't like change. It could be that your kitty feels overwhelmed by everything (surroundings, new home, new human, etc.). Just give her time.

One suggestion would be to sit on the floor at her level and throw her treats. She may come to you, she may not. Also, when talking to her, whisper and slowly blink your eyes while looking at her. This will let her know that everything is okay and you're not a threat.

Good luck and welcome to Pet Talk!!! :D

catnapper
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Congrats on the new baby, and welcome to PT! I have 4 tabbies of my own plus fosters. Some kittens are just scardey cats. My Abby took a while to come around, and every time I dug her out of her hiding place, I got hissed at. The main thing is to try and give her as much socializing as possible. The more postive human interaction she has, the more likely she'll come out of hding and spend time with you. I currently have a foster kitten who is the biggest loverboy I've ever met but he likes to hide. In fact he hides during the day, and disappears around 2:00 to not reappear until 8:00. I have NO idea where he hides! But when he's out I just hold and cuddle him and tell him what a wondrful boy he is. Eventually he'll come out of his shel and he won't hide so much.

SammyCat
02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks. She was 10 weeks old when I got her. She's been living with us for approx a month. Her behavior is the same as it was on day 1. Fearful/likes to hide. I just don't know where to draw the line as when to recognize that this is not normal behavior.

catnapper
02-01-2005, 12:38 PM
10 weeks old is fairly young. At that age they really haven't had much socialization. Just be patient, as a month is not much time really. Try to engage her in play with toys. Talk to her, even when she's hiding. She'll hear you.

If she was feral before you got her, chances are her mom taught her to be fearful of humans, and even at that young age they learn that lesson well. Just be gentle and talk soothingly to her. As much talkig and handling as possible, and the more you can devote to her the better. My Abby was a major hiss-scardy cat. Today she is 6 months old and one of those cats who welcome people at the door... believe me, this meeting people at the door thing is new within the past few weeks! Its taken me 5 months to get her to be social! It could take another cat less time (her brother was social from day one) or it could take more time. Just be patient and work with her. Its ok to pull her out of hiding to give her loves and treats. She'll soon associate being taken out of hiding with good things.

K & L
02-01-2005, 01:53 PM
This kitten is adorable!

This kitten could be partially feral. To begin taming you need to confine the kitten in a small room, such as a bathroom. They need to learn to feel safe first. You need to visit frequently and talk to the kitten to get use to your voice. Always move slowly and leave a radio or TV playing in the room. Leave dry food and water out at all times, but bring moist food in a couple times a day as a treat. This will make the kitten associate you with “good” things. Keep petting the kitten while eating and when it’s more use to you, try bringing in some toys to play with. Within a week this kitten should make some progress. If the kitten does not seem to be taming it may need to be confined in a cage. This will allow you to work with the kitten more frequently and make the kitten more dependent upon you. It may be where this is just the kittens personality and will never be a lap cat! Good luck and let us know how the progress goes.

ratchet22
02-01-2005, 04:52 PM
She may have been a stray, and doesnt know life with people, i had heart do the same thing, any time I wanted her I had to go get her, finally after 2 weeks of that I put her in a kitty cage in the living room with a bed, litter box, ect. and we took her out several times a day and held her and loved her, know she is THE most lovable cat in the house. Won't stop asking for attention. She did a total turn around. Good luck with your new baby and hold her lots so she will see you are a safe place for her. Let us know how she does

catmandu
02-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Sammy,is such a Wonderful Cat,To Be,and weAll Hope,and Pray,that you will have Years,and Years,o Fun,and Joy,with Her,and The Found Cats All Send a Giant MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOW To Super Sammy,and she,will be Friendly,when she gets,more used to You!Even Scrappy 2,the Feral,is staring,to warm,up,to me!

mruffruff
02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I have to agree with K&L.

I have had my 7 cats (feral/stray) for more than 2 years and they all feel more comfortable in a smaller area. They are finally coming out of their room, but scurry back when they feel threatened.

Please let us know how you do.

Mary