PDA

View Full Version : HELP ASAP, quarantine stray kitty ?'s

lv4dogs
01-31-2005, 12:41 PM
My SIL just found a stray kitten in her yard, approx. 4-6 months. The kitten is VERY skinny, eye discharge, crooked tail and a few other problems.

I will probably take the cat home with me BUT I need to know about quarantining because I have a cat, dogs & ferrets.

If I keep the cat in a seperate room can my cat still contact an URI or anything else the cat may have?

caseysmom
01-31-2005, 01:01 PM
I would have it tested for FLV asap.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure about a URI, but I think for the most part, if the cats are in separate rooms, you'll be ok.

Although it is best to get it to a vet ASAP and have it checked for everything. Take a stool sample with you so they can test that also. It's quite common that strays are found to have worms or some sort of bacteria since they've been eating who knows what to survive.

Sounds like poor kitty has some issues that need to be cleared up before he/she is introduced to the rest of your clan. Good luck!

lv4dogs
01-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I know to take her to the vet ASAP, but I am stuck at work now, with the location of my work, the cat & my house & vet I don't think I can her to the vet tonight, it would probably be tomorrow or Wed.

lv4dogs
01-31-2005, 02:21 PM
My mom just called, as she went over to look at the cat as she knows a little more about them. She estimates the cat to be about 5 months. Besides the above problems the cat also has a cut on the bottom of his foot & frostbit ears.
A very friendly kitten that won't keep quiet.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Poor kitty. :( I'm so glad your SIL brought him in out of the cold.

Sounds like poor kitty really needs some TLC and I'm so glad you're the one that's going to provide it. :D

rg_girlca
01-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Poor little kitty. I'm glad you are going to be bringing it to the vets.

When I rescued my Poppy from the back lane, I kept him in my room for a month before I introduced him to my crew. He also had a slight URI and was sickly.

I hope and pray that all turns out well for this little one.
Bless you for taking him/her in.

Please keep us updated.

I would also like to add that the vet put a dose of Revolution on Poppy's neck which treats fleas, worms and ear mites. He had this treatment once a month for 3 months.

rosethecopycat
01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
The combo test for FeLV and FIV is a must. They are not that costly too. These are deadly transmittable diseases.

Even with a NEG/NEG combo test:

Isolate the cat for 10 days, longer if URI symptoms persist. (at least 3 days after last symptom)

Other common ailments include: distemper, fleas, worms, ringworm, URI, UTI.

I'm not sure if your other animals can contract any of these. Apart from the fleas, which I know everybody can get.

Good luck with the kitty, thanks for helping.

QueenScoopalot
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm happy to know the kitty is safe now! Good advice from all so far...but make sure to wash your hands and arms well after handling the kitten, and before touching your own. And be sure your kitties are up-to-date on their vaccines. Your ferret should also have FVRCP vaccinations, and rabies (I think)...been a while since I've had a ferret, but I'm pretty sure many feline viruses can be passed on to ferrets. Keep us posted...and hope the kitten gets a clean bill of health. ;) :)

jazzcat
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Make sure you wash your hands really well after being with the kitty so you don't carry anything out to your gang. When I had Jazz in quarantine I used the hand sanitizer before I left the room, I used Clorox wipes to open and close the door and to wipe off the bottom of my shoes or feet and then I would wash with antibacteria soap. I did all this because she had URI and Ringworm and I didn't want to pass it to Ripley or Disney.

catmandu
02-01-2005, 09:17 AM
If you can,pl;ease get her,to a Vets! If Not Clean,Claen,Cean your hands,with anti Bacterial Soap,if you can,and try,to keep your Cats,from any contact.

lv4dogs
02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I'm happy to know the kitty is safe now! Good advice from all so far...but make sure to wash your hands and arms well after handling the kitten, and before touching your own. And be sure your kitties are up-to-date on their vaccines. Your ferret should also have FVRCP vaccinations, and rabies (I think)...been a while since I've had a ferret, but I'm pretty sure many feline viruses can be passed on to ferrets. Keep us posted...and hope the kitten gets a clean bill of health. ;) :)

Nope it's the distemper form dogs they can get, they all have their DHLPP vaccines! :)
Ferrets can't get anything like that from cats, just dogs.

lv4dogs
02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
My SIL is keeping the cat for now. I gave her some money for the vets and she has an appointment for 4 this afternoon to get the combo test & vaccines (if tests are negative).
If for some reason it does not work out I will take the cat.

He is such a sweet heart. I checked him over FULLY, poking & proding & he just lays there all content purring away. I want him so bad!