PDA

View Full Version : 23 years today

davidpizzica
01-31-2005, 07:11 AM
It's been 23 years since my last cigarette! I quit January 31, 1982, after smoking for twenty years. I sure don't miss them.

Lexi_Lover
01-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Wow! Thats amazing, good job:DI'm trying to get my parents to quit, maybe you coudl help them;)

Karen
01-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Yay! Congratulations. I am sure the kitties appreciate you not smelling like you're on fire, too! ;)

davidpizzica
01-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Yay! Congratulations. I am sure the kitties appreciate you not smelling like you're on fire, too! ;) Karen, at the prices cigarettes are today, I couldn't afford to start smoking! Nikki & Daisy appreciate it, too!

GraciesMommy
01-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Just think of how much $$ you have saved~
Good for you~

Killearn Kitties
01-31-2005, 07:25 AM
Well done you! I'm concerned you know the exact date though. You haven't been counting the days have you? ;) :D

Lilith Cherry
01-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Well done David! My husband quit around the same time and hasn't smoked since... I am proud of both of you!

davidpizzica
01-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Well done you! I'm concerned you know the exact date though. You haven't been counting the days have you? ;) :D Karen, it's just that I have a habit of remembering anniversaries.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-31-2005, 09:04 AM
WELL DONE, David!!!!

RedHedd
01-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by david p
Karen, it's just that I have a habit of remembering anniversaries. Me too. My last smoke was 11/9/87.

davidpizzica
01-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
Me too. My last smoke was 11/9/87. However, I took a puff of one six weeks later, and I thought it was going to kill me! Absolutely none after that!

rg_girlca
01-31-2005, 02:12 PM
A big CONGRATULATIONS David.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a few questions. How long did you smoke for? What made you decide to stop? How did you stop? Did you suffer from withdrawals and if so, how did you deal with it?

I've tried twice and am now going on my third try. They say, "Third times a charm." So here's hoping.:)

catland
01-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Very impressive David. It took me two trys to actually quit for good. Now I don't even remember what year it was - I know it was sometime in the late 90's.

rc-girl - I was miserable at first. I was truely addicted to the nicotine. I used lots of sugar-free gum and too many sweets ;) to get through it. I just knew it was worth it and would gradually get better if I just stuck with it. Probably the main thing that stops me from ever smoking again is that it is so hard to quit.

Its hard to quit for some of us, but definately worth it.

rg_girlca
01-31-2005, 03:14 PM
After smoking for 35 years Catland, it is VERY hard. But I am determined to do it this time.

Rachel
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Good for you, David. When I quit (a blue moon ago) is wasn't all that hard. I was tired of my mouth tasting like an ash tray, my clothes stinking and my money being wasted. I did turn to drinking a lot of coffee, but that eventually tapered off.

To those who haven't quit yet, do it for your animals, if you can't do it for yourself. Second hand smoke is detrimental to them.

davidpizzica
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
A big CONGRATULATIONS David.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a few questions. How long did you smoke for? What made you decide to stop? How did you stop? Did you suffer from withdrawals and if so, how did you deal with it?

I've tried twice and am now going on my third try. They say, "Third times a charm." So here's hoping.:) rg-girlca, I started smoking in 1962 at the age of 14. What started me was peer pressure. I started caddying at our local golf course and all of the caddies smoked. So I smoked for about 20 years. I quit because I found myself huffing and puffing walking up hills and sometimes I was getting out of breath. Also because of the price. Back in 1982, they were going for 65 cents a pack which I thought then was too much! I stopped the hardest way possible, cold turkey. I took the cigarettes and lighter out of my pockets and threw them away. About 6 weeks later, I took a puff of one and I thought I was going to die!! After that puff I never smoked another cigarette! After quitting cold turkey, I was tempted, but except for tha one puff I didn't give in.

davidpizzica
01-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Good for you, David. When I quit (a blue moon ago) is wasn't all that hard. I was tired of my mouth tasting like an ash tray, my clothes stinking and my money being wasted. I did turn to drinking a lot of coffee, but that eventually tapered off.

To those who haven't quit yet, do it for your animals, if you can't do it for yourself. Second hand smoke is detrimental to them. Rachel, I'll go along with that! Especially for your pets' sakes.