PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog have dewclaws?

wolf_Q
01-31-2005, 01:48 AM
This is just a curiosity poll, no real reason for it. :)

Nebo has front dewclaws only. I would never get them removed unless they happened to cause him problems or something, I just keep the nails really short. If he had back dewclaws I would probably get those removed though because the ones I've seen hang really loose and I could see how those could easily get caught on things and rip off.

Reggie and Sydney do not have any dewclaws. I'm not sure if Reggie's were removed as a pup or he was born without them, I'm betting they were removed. The same with Sydney though when my sister got her she had one tiny back dewclaw which was removed when she was spayed.

Many people say that dewclaws are useless and definitely should be removed and some say they have a purpose. Here's some articles I found if you're interested in reading about it. If anyone else has some articles about this subject I'd like to read them as well. Personally, I tend to think that front dew claws do serve a purpose.
http://netpet.batw.net/articles/dewclaws.html
http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0019.htm
http://www.dogstuff.info/dewclaws.html

If you are unsure what I'm talking about I'm attaching a pic that shows Nebo's dewclaws...its the nail higher up on his leg.

schteve_d
01-31-2005, 02:41 AM
Buddy has very prominent front dew claws. When I had him fixed the vet checked them for (I guess what you would call) stiffness. He said that they are tight to his leg so he recommended them not being removed. He said that if they were "loose" and "flopped around" he would recommend removing them as they could lead to injury running around.

DogLover9501
01-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Jasper's dewclaws were removed at the breeders.

Piddle & Wiggles have dewclaws, front and back I *think*.

vinjashira
01-31-2005, 07:38 AM
snowy's were removed by the breeder which I think is good because jack russells like to dig and explore the bush (or anything for that matter) and their dewclaws could easily get caught on something and bleed.

4 Dog Mother
01-31-2005, 08:06 AM
All of mine have the front dewclaws. Pippi had back dewclaws when we got her but I had them removed when she was spayed because she is a jumper and I was afraid she would catch them in something and rip them off. They just hung loose.

anna_66
01-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Interesting thread Amy.

Roxey does not have any, but Huney and Bon both have front dewclaws.

I never even knew that dogs had rear dewclaws.

Christiansmommy
01-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Dale has front dewclaws. His back ones were removed as a puppy...

Logan
01-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Honey, Zipper and Murphy have their dewclaws, front and back. Lilly's dewclaws were removed when she was a baby.

RobiLee
01-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Very interesting thread, Amy. Anna and I were talking about this when she came to visit and were confused about dew claws. Both of my girls have their front dew claws and the back ones have been removed.

micki76
01-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Millie & Chester both have front dew claws. Cinny has none. IDK if hers were removed at her spay, or if she never had them at all.

vinjashira
01-31-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Millie & Chester both have front dew claws. Cinny has none. IDK if hers were removed at her spay, or if she never had them at all.

what is IDK?

micki76
01-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by vinjashira
what is IDK?

Sorry, it stands for "I don't know". :o

senorita02
01-31-2005, 10:12 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/facer05/DSC00431.jpg

Yes Rita has her front ones, and no Face does not have any :D

molucass
01-31-2005, 10:52 AM
All of our dogs have front dewclaws only.

Buddy Blaze Lover
01-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Yup, Blaze has front and back...don't know why we never declawed him though.:rolleyes:

PJ's Mom
01-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Peej doesn't have dew claws, and Bailey only has them in the front.

cali
01-31-2005, 11:55 AM
most of my guys only have dew claws on the front but Blair has single dew claws on the back feet and double dew claws on the front feet, which is totally normal for a pyrshep.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Bitsy. Buster, Nacey, and Nova all have dewclaws on their front feet only. Charlie doesn't have any.

Thandi
01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Mika has very long back dewclaws, and I am trying to keep them short because they can catch into each other and hurt her. Her previous owners never had them removed. My vet says he'll remove them when he cleans her teeth--there is no bone holding them so it'll be pretty easy and painless. They look very strange after having dogs in the past with no back dewclaws.

Cazi
01-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Some dogs actually shed their dew claws. I only found that out by accident.

We took Amber out for a walk and all of a sudden I noticed that her foot was bleeding, quite bad too.

I took her to the vet and he examined her and told me that she had shed her dew claw.

It has grown back again, but is much smaller than the original one.

Shelteez2
01-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Neither of my dogs have dew claws. They both had them removed when they were a few days old.

Amy- Do you get many greay pyrenees at work? We do a few and I have to say nothing creeps me out more than double back dew claws. LOL I don't know why but they just do.

cyber-sibes
01-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Star has front dewclaws. They've never been a problem. Sherman's were removed by the breeder when he was a puppy. i have read on another husky site that it's preferred that they be removed because sometimes dogs catch them on stuff and they can get ripped off.

ParNone
01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
All three have the front dewclaws. Never an issue with those, except extra work in the nail clipping dept. :)

Murph has his back dewclaws and he has got them caught on things before. Luckily I was home each time. I'm glad Oz and Gully don't have those back ones. Less to worry about.

Par...

wolf_Q
01-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Neither of my dogs have dew claws. They both had them removed when they were a few days old.

Amy- Do you get many greay pyrenees at work? We do a few and I have to say nothing creeps me out more than double back dew claws. LOL I don't know why but they just do.

We don't do many but I have seen a few....I think they are creepy looking too. And a pain to clip. Actually I find all back dewclaws kinda of icky looking. :o I like the way the front ones look on most dogs though for some reason.

Kfamr
01-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Mine only have front dewclaws.

Honey has both front and back.

Cincy'sMom
01-31-2005, 08:03 PM
All 3 have front only

cali
01-31-2005, 08:29 PM
my mistake Ripley also has back dew claws, but thankfully unlike balri they are single dew claws not double lol

so I take it both the great pyr and pyr shep(they worked together for those that dont know) have back double dew claws? they are a pain in the neck! lol particulary with a dog that requires 3 people and sedatives to clip any nails!

MariaM
01-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Major just has front dewclaws. :)

Andie
02-01-2005, 09:44 AM
The boys both have dew claws on the front. Katie Mae had her's removed I do believe when she was a few days old because she was going to be a hunting.