PDA

View Full Version : new addition

IRescue452
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
We added a new addition to the family today. A madascar hissing cockroach, Requiem. Moku, my wood frog, stood up against the side of his tank and peered in wide-eyed wonder at what I brought home. The cockroach is five times bigger than him. He is used to my bringing new bugs for him to eat, but he has never seen a bug that could make a meal out of him! Anybody else here share their home with a hisser?

CathyBogart
01-31-2005, 12:24 AM
*chuckles* I haven't ever had hissers, but I quite like them! You're very lucky, I would get one if I didn't still live with my mother.

IRescue452
01-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Actually, I do still live with my mother 4 months out of the year, when I'm not in college. She fell in love with the cockroach pretty quick, though she won't admit it. It's my stepdad who is afraid of them and doesn't want me to have it. Last night Requiem fell from the desk to the ground. Instead of running away she ran to me and curled up in my hand for protection. I don't care what species it is, when a baby runs to you and clings to you for protection you can't look away. I wish my roommate were there to see that, she would have a better understanding of Requiem.

IRescue452
02-02-2005, 09:10 AM
I guess I have a little frog/cockroach rivalry on my hands. I let Requiem climb up the frog cage so they could see each other closer. Once Moku saw the giant bug outside, he peed and then ran and hid. He's been sulking ever since. It really rather cute. I guess I won't put the cages next to each other.

Karen
02-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Awwww. Poor froggie! Welcome, Requiem!

GekkeGekko
02-05-2005, 11:43 AM
I have some dwarf hissers as pets:-)

They're cute although I don't taken them out, I have them just to look at:-)

Do send pics of Requiem!!!

IRescue452
02-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I never heard of dwarf hissers. I will post pics next time I am home from school, I don't have a scanner here. I am currently working on Requiem's broken foot, she broke it during shipping to the pet store. She had been fine for a while but is now starting to wear it down and it bleeds a little each day. I have been trying many different ways to make a prosthetic leg for a cockroach. Right now I just have it capped off with nail polish so it doesn't bleed. I tried using hot glue to form a cap over the leg and then cut it down to size, but she wiggles too much to get it right. I don't want to amputate it because she has learned to trust me and I don't want her to become afraid of me. I wish they made Elizabethian collars for cockroaches!

cocker_luva
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
lol