PDA

View Full Version : My Friend Is So Upset

lizbud
01-30-2005, 11:52 AM
A good friend of mine called me Friday evening with very sad
and upsetting news. One of her dogs had attacked her cat while
she was at work. The cat, Barney was nearly 20 yrs old & not in
the best of health. She & the woman who shares her home rushed Barney to the Vet, but he was so badly injured, he had
to be put to sleep. The dog, Lexie, is a 7-8 yr old setter/pointer
mix and she's never shown any aggressive to the cat before.
They have lived together for years.:confused:

I'can't understand how this happened & I feel so bad for her. :(
She knows what a huge dog fan I am and she keeps asking me
why Lexie would do this? I am at a loss to understand it myself.
I don't know what else to say to her.I feel so sad for her.:(

My friend is supposed to come over later today to bring Barney's
new bag of cat food & some cat litter & I'm ashamed to say, I
kinda wish she wouldn't.:( I almost feel like it happened to me,
or maybe, could happen to me & it's scary.:(

ramanth
01-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh how heartbreaking! :( I'm so sorry your friend had to go thru that.

Perhaps Lexie needs to be taken to a vet for a checkup of sorts. Maybe something neurological happened.

*hugs*

lovemyshiba
01-30-2005, 12:32 PM
How heartbreaking for her:(

I agree with Kimmy, a checkup may be in order for Lexie--just to be sure that nothing is wrong.

chocolatepuppy
01-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be devastating to have one of your own furkids harm another. Although my two dogs and two cats get along well the dogs are confined when we are not home and the cats have the run of the house, so I don't have to worry about that. Who knows what could have happened? Even an outside noise or something could have set one of them off. I will keep your friend in my thoughts at this difficult time.

lizbud
01-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Oh how heartbreaking! :( I'm so sorry your friend had to go thru that.

Perhaps Lexie needs to be taken to a vet for a checkup of sorts. Maybe something neurological happened.

*hugs*

That's part of my not understanding, Kimmy. Lexie had an
appt. that day for regular shots. Penny's friend came home and
since she was running late for the appt., she just grabbed the
leash inside the door, called Lexie & left the house with her to
go the the Vet's. She didn't find Barney till she had returned. :(

I did suggest to my friend Penny, that it could be something
neuroligical. I know Lexie & she's a good dog. Just can't quite
believe this happened.:(

Randi
01-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh how heartbreaking. :( Poor cat!

Could it be that the dog sensed the cat was ill? I've heard that sometimes animals will attack if they ill. :confused:

Amber
01-30-2005, 01:09 PM
That is so upsetting. :( I'm so sorry for your friend. I'll be thinking of them, and will send positive thoughts.

cookieluver7
01-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Awww, how sad! :( I wonder why a nice dog would of suddenly attacked the cat?!:confused: Any way, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

zippy-kat
01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
:( My heart goes out to Penny (and you too)!

RIP Barney

ParNone
01-30-2005, 03:51 PM
oh my gosh, I can only imagine how heartrenching that would be.
I think Randi may have hit on what could have caused it, if the cat was ill. I've read that before that animals will attack the weak and ill. I know with Maddie, whenever Murph or Oz would get sick, it was an automatic that she'd try to attack'em.

Par...

cloverfdx
01-30-2005, 11:20 PM
How heartbreaking :(.

Rest easy Barney.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-31-2005, 01:24 AM
Poor kitty cat:( I am so sorry that happened. I must say that it happened to me before, with my old RB Kilo. My 2 dogs, lived with Kilo for a year, and loved him. He was not ill or anything, just one night they attacked him, and I didnt get to him fast enough. He died about 10 minutes later. That is why I will NEVER EVER AGAIN have a dog and cat in the same house. I dont trust dogs at all with cats. They were so loving one minute, and just turned the next. We still have the 2 dogs, but they are OUTSIDE only now, because of the incident.
I hope your friend finds a way to comfort herself. I am so sorry again:(

lynnestankard
01-31-2005, 04:12 AM
This is just so incredibly sad Liz - my heart goes out to Penny. She must be going through agonies.
I've got no idea why the dog would do this. Has she returned to the vet with him? Then she could talk it over with the vet - who might at least have some explanation as to what happened,

RIP dear Barney.

Lynne

vinjashira
01-31-2005, 04:31 AM
I am sorry about your friend's loss :(
I am afraid it is not uncommon for hunting breeds to attact the cat in the same household evethough they have lived together for a few years. This is the reason why we decided not to have a cat eventhough we really want one.

GraciesMommy
01-31-2005, 06:06 AM
How sad..I know your friend is really hurting right now...

Lilith Cherry
01-31-2005, 07:51 AM
How sad! Is it possible the ( very old) cat had a fit/stroke or something similar and the dog ,on investigating , thought he was being attacked by the cat?