PDA

View Full Version : Please Help :(

Alexia18
01-30-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm trying to figure out the deaths of my recent 2 kittens. I need your help..

They were delivered to our house at 7 weeks old. A black and a russian blue kitten. They were very healthy. 2 and a half months later the russian blue got lost out side. We didn't find it till 2 weeks later (humane society) Brought it home. It seemed emotionally detached. It went from energetic/playful, to self reserved. 3 weeks later.. the russian blue grew sick, dark dark urine, it's face became "really really puffy".. it wouldn't eat anything. A week later it just lay there, arms/legs given up. The night it died, it lay still, eyes open starring blankly ahead. Later on we found it dead. Left behind a huge puddle of clotted blood on the floor. (silent death/no complications)

Now thats not the end of the story. Here's where it's bizarre.. the black kitten was healthy before and after the russian blue came home. 4 days after the russian blue got "really really" sick/couldn't move, the black kitten became ill looking, wouldn't eat, dark dark urine. The night it died, it had epileptic episodes, mouth shut, arms and legs stiffened, arms extended as if swatting a fly, eyes dead. After it died we found a peach liquid substance that had extruded through its mouth (puddle on floor) When it was dying it screamed occassionaly.

The black kitten died a day before the russian blue. Recieved them at 7 weeks old and they died at 4 1/2 months old.

Why did they die? What do these symtoms mean? How could a perfectly healthy black kitten die?

Please help me. I feel so detached.

My deceased babies..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/chinkwink/bk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/chinkwink/3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/chinkwink/13.jpg

aki
01-30-2005, 01:03 AM
I am so sorry for the loss of your babies! I don't know personally what may be at fault, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am.

What did your vet say?

~Aki

krazyaboutkatz
01-30-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your kittens tragic passing.:( I don't know why they died either. Did you take them to a vet for a diagnosis? Maybe they both got into something poisonous in or around your home. RIP sweet kittens.

CalliesMom
01-30-2005, 04:42 AM
I am so very sorry for the loss of your kitties. Though I do not know what could have caused your kitties' deaths, I am wondering if you took them to the vet or had a necropsy done? You might want to speak with a vet before deciding to bring another animal into the home since you don't know what caused the deaths in the first place.

catcrazylady
01-30-2005, 05:21 AM
I'm sorry that you lost your kittens. It is hard to know what happened. Did these kittens ever recieve any vet care? Were these the first kittens you ever had?
It does sound like poison could be a strong possibility. I have to agree that I wouldn't get any more cats/kittens until you can find out what caused the death of these two. I'm sure you wouldn't want it to happen again. Was there any rat/mouse poison anywhere around?

catnapper
01-30-2005, 08:31 AM
I am also sorry for their death. I agree in the poison theory. There are so many common things in a home that are highly poisonous ot cats. Onions for example! Here's a link to a website about basic cat care, and at the bottom is an extensive list of things that are poisonous to cats:
cat care (http://home.stny.rr.com/carmon/health-care2.htm)

Its sad to hear that two beautiful kittens had such a short life. I hope that you can determine what happened and give yourself some peace and closure.

sirrahbed
01-30-2005, 09:18 AM
I am so so sorry to read about your lil kittens!:( Wish I could help you discover what happened...

QueenScoopalot
01-30-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry you lost both kittens in such a horrible way. Had they ever been to the vets for routine vaccinations? It is critical to a kitten's health to get the kitten series of FVRCP. Panleukopenia can be tracked in on shoes, and is highly contagious, and deadly to unvaccinated animals. Another thought that crossed my mind is a highly virulant strain of calicivirus. http://www.petspourri.com:8080/veterinarian01_03.htm
The pinkish liquid from the black kitten's mouth sounds very much like pneumonia which could have been a symptom of a virus, and the kitten's inability to fight off infections. If you do a search (under user control panel at the top of the page here) and type in Emily Rose, I had a kitten some months back that had developed a horrible virus. Vaccinating for FVRCP did no good prior to the kitten's contracting it...it's a mutated strain and highly contagious. I did manage to save all four kittens from dying from complications of this virus, but it was a long and tiring time doing so. Emily was worst off with severe edema to her face and legs, but between antibiotics, and fluids, force feedings etc. she survived, and has been adopted out along with her 3 brothers. Better to be on the safe side in your case, and not take in any more kittens unless they've had at least two of the kitten vaccinations, and after you get an OK from your vet. Some viruses can remain in the environment for well over a year, and erradicating them is not an easy task. ;)

Alexia18
01-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Thank you for all your warm replies :)

I have one cat (4 years old very healthy)

I live in a small town where the Vet is 5 hrs away. My parents are really busy with work. I can't drive nor my sister. I feel really bad about that.

They (kittens) never left the house, except for that one time when the Russian Blue got lost outside for 2 weeks.

I just wish I knew why

jazzcat
01-30-2005, 11:35 AM
How very sad. I'm so sorry.

Kirsten
01-30-2005, 12:00 PM
First of all, I'm very very sorry. What a horrible experience!!

My thought was that the Russian Blue might have picked up something when it got lost outside, but I don't know of a virus that's acting that agressive and fast (unless it's the distemper virus, but those are different symptoms).

Maybe it could be this new form of the calico virus that occured in parts of the United States lately. The dark urine seems to point out that the liver might have been affected. Does anyone know if that new calico virus causes liver failure or infection?

However, poison could be another option. Did your parents use any toxic subtances (such as anti freezer) in the house lately, or maybe brought a toxic plant home?

I'm sorry that you didn't have the chance to bring them to the vet! :(

Kirsten

catmandu
01-30-2005, 12:12 PM
That is horrible News about your Cat,as it could be poison,anti freeze,or FIV,and It might well,be worth,to have a test done,top see if you can anrrow,done the cause of death.I ma sorry,for your loss,and they are Eternal Kittens ,now,in the Pet Talkers Pet Angel Army,and will see you,.again,one day,and they say,not,to feel bad,that you did,all that you could,and they will,be your Kittens,again,one day.

PayItForward
01-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Alexia18
Thank you for all your warm replies :)

I have one cat (4 years old very healthy)

I live in a small town where the Vet is 5 hrs away. My parents are really busy with work. I can't drive nor my sister. I feel really bad about that.

They (kittens) never left the house, except for that one time when the Russian Blue got lost outside for 2 weeks.

I just wish I knew why
Please correct me if I am wrong but your posts suggests that you didn't take either cats to the vets and simply watched the kittens die and it took one kitten at least seven days to die.

Your parents being busy is no excuse, neither is the fact you don't drive. You could of walked to the nearest vets in a week.

Did you ring the vets for free and prompt advice ?

Did you contact your local shelters or cat breeders for advice ?

Did you take your sick kittens to the vets five hours away using any transport availble (buses, coaches, trains, taxis) ?

IMO It should be a criminal offense (animal abuse) NOT to provide necessary vet care for our pets.

I really hope I have misunderstood your post, as the thought of two sweet kittens suffering and dying in pain though not receiving essential vet care is very upsetting. :(

RIP Sweet Kittens :(

catcrazylady
01-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Please correct me if I am wrong but your posts suggests that you didn't take either cats to the vets and simply watched the kittens die and it took one kitten at least seven days to die.

Your parents being busy is no excuse, neither is the fact you don't drive. You could of walked to the nearest vets in a week.

Did you ring the vets for free and prompt advice ?

Did you contact your local shelters or cat breeders for advice ?

Did you take your sick kittens to the vets five hours away using any transport availble (buses, coaches, trains, taxis) ?

IMO It should be a criminal offense (animal abuse) NOT to provide necessary vet care for our pets.

I really hope I have misunderstood your post, as the thought of two sweet kittens suffering and dying in pain though not receiving essential vet care is very upsetting. :(

RIP Sweet Kittens :(

PIF this kind of attitude is not going to help. I understand how you feel because I too was horrified at the suffering of these kittens but obviously so was this young girl who can not control her parents!
If we remain calm and attempt to educate then maybe she will continue to come to PT and we can offer some helpful advice if she ever has trouble or questions about her animals. Slamming and insulting her will only resort in her never coming back to PT for help and that could possibly result in harm to more animals.

Alexia18, please don't let insults from one person deter you from PT. It is obvious that the death of these kittens upset you and you don't want that to happen again. There are many people on PT who have tons of experience with all sorts of animals and can be very helpful to you if you need them. Yes, the right thing to do would have been get them to the vet but that was obviously not in your control. You can learn many things from the people of PT so keep hanging around ok? We all help each other all the time.

Why don't you tell us about your wonderful 4 year old kitty. Do you have any pictures that you can share?

sirrahbed
01-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I am sorry I did not respond sooner. I have to echo the thoughts of CCL above:rolleyes:

I feel awful about the kittens - I am sure we ALL do. But it is done and Alexia obviously feels awful also.

I think alot of this is misunderstanding and that nobody is saying that this owner is to be compared to someone who commits a criminal offense :(

Let us try to help understand what happened and to get to know YOU Alexia18 and your remaining kitty.

I am really sorry about your kittens:(

Prairie Purrs
01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm so sorry about the kittens. But I'm afraid that if the vet is five hours away and nobody is willing to take your pets to the vet when they become ill, I'd have to recommend that you not keep pets. It's just not fair to them to completely deny them medical treatment. :(

PayItForward
01-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by CatsinDenver
I'm so sorry about the kittens. But I'm afraid that if the vet is five hours away and nobody is willing to take your pets to the vet when they become ill, I'd have to recommend that you not keep pets. It's just not fair to them to completely deny them medical treatment. :(
I totally agree.

To sirrahbed & catcrazylady, I did not assume anything in my post, I simply asked if my fears were correct (and I still hope I am wrong) and asked several (still unanswered) questions about the care of the kittens in question.

I do wonder at anyone who described their pets death as

When it was dying it screamed occassionaly
and did nothing...What would you guys do if it was your cat dying over that seven day period, would you just watch ? Of course not your cat would be at the vets within hours if not minutes.

Karen
01-30-2005, 06:03 PM
PIF, don't assume she "did nothing" while the kitten was dying. She may just not have known what to do, other than try to comfort it.

We are sorry you lost both kittens, but I agree that perhaps a necropsy (autopsy on a non-human) is in order to figure out what happened. A friend of mine's dog was poisoned, and he got very sick and died very quickly, and her vet suggested a necropsy, as she had other dogs. It was awful to hear he'd been poisoned, but at least they knew it wasn't something THEY did or didn't do. And if it's a virus, you'd want to know, too.

PayItForward
01-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Karen
PIF, don't assume she "did nothing" while the kitten was dying. She may just not have known what to do, other than try to comfort it.

We are sorry you lost both kittens, but I agree that perhaps a necropsy (autopsy on a non-human) is in order to figure out what happened. A friend of mine's dog was poisoned, and he got very sick and died very quickly, and her vet suggested a necropsy, as she had other dogs. It was awful to hear he'd been poisoned, but at least they knew it wasn't something THEY did or didn't do. And if it's a virus, you'd want to know, too.
Karen,

I hope I am wrong, I would be so very happy to be wrong in this situation.

I really hope she did take her cats to the vets, as the alternative is too upsetting. :(

Alexia18
01-30-2005, 10:02 PM
I am 14, I stay home alone alot with my 6 year old sister. My parents are not on speaking terms, they work as much to keep away from each other. Me and my sister are not close with our parents. We are often neglected. I've had my cat for 4 years, it is very lonely (even though we play with it) it needs friends/companion of it's own kind. What do I know.. I'm just a product of a broken home. Both me and my sister wanted the kittens not only for us but for our 4 year old cat.

I wanted to bond and love these kittens, my intention was not to harm them.

When they died no one was home except for me and my sister. I was too scared to take any action. There are so many factors that surrounds this situation.

Alexia18
01-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
PIF this kind of attitude is not going to help. I understand how you feel because I too was horrified at the suffering of these kittens but obviously so was this young girl who can not control her parents!
If we remain calm and attempt to educate then maybe she will continue to come to PT and we can offer some helpful advice if she ever has trouble or questions about her animals. Slamming and insulting her will only resort in her never coming back to PT for help and that could possibly result in harm to more animals.

Alexia18, please don't let insults from one person deter you from PT. It is obvious that the death of these kittens upset you and you don't want that to happen again. There are many people on PT who have tons of experience with all sorts of animals and can be very helpful to you if you need them. Yes, the right thing to do would have been get them to the vet but that was obviously not in your control. You can learn many things from the people of PT so keep hanging around ok? We all help each other all the time.

Why don't you tell us about your wonderful 4 year old kitty. Do you have any pictures that you can share?

Thank you for your reply and understanding.

My 4 year old cat is a long haired orange cat. Male and neutered. It is 13 pounds and likes to go outside alot. Very friendly and cuddly.

Here is a photo (taken a week ago)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/chinkwink/herc.jpg

PayItForward
01-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Interesting...

Your profile says you are 17 years but you say you are 14.

Your profile says you have 2 cats , you say 3 (2 deceased)

Your webpage is a strange choice for a 14 year old...a dating agency !

You refer to none of your cats by name and use the pronoun 'it' instead of the more natural 'he' or 'she'. this is something I have only hear non-animal lovers use.

All of your pictures of your pets are of different quality and have different backgrounds and are even different sizes. This tends to happen when you 'find' pictures on the internet.

I am 99% sure this poster is just a troll looking to cause fights, which is good as no kittens died.

(Other people please note, Troll is an internet term not an insult, PM me for a definition)

Prairie Purrs
01-31-2005, 02:02 AM
Also, the pictures come from a Photobucket album with a username of "chinkwink." I googled "chinkwink" and came up with a profile page for a 24-year-old male from New Jersey who claims to be a student in the medical services industry and whose hobbies include web surfing. Hmmmmmm.

And please notice the language used in that first post. Do you know a lot of 14-year-olds who use the term "extruded"?

Lilith Cherry
01-31-2005, 06:31 AM
If she lives in Toronto there are 1000s of available vets... it is a very large city! I live miles from anywhere but can still call a vet . Even out in the country there are farm animals which require vets.

If she is really being left alone all the time by her parents maybe she could ask a teacher or counsellor at school for advice as this is child abuse!

Alexia18
01-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I write Toronto because most people are familiar with that city.

"ChinkWink" I am half chinese half german. That is a name kids make fun of me when I was younger because I don't need to wink, my eyes are already small.

The photos of the cat/kittens are used by the same camera, except for the black one (web cam) And the reason why they don't have names is beccause I am used to calling them by their ethnicity. Black One and Russian Blue.

When I sign up on these sites I don't give out "real" information. Because I am still a kid and that is dangerous. I am aware of child predators. Would a pedofile stalk a 24 year old male? or a 17 year old girl? No, thats why I gave such information.

I honestly really needed help and I couldn't find anyone. I thought I could get some possible answers. I don't know why people question the mental maturity of a 14 year old. Kids my age these days dress like 24 year olds (Britney spears) and I choose to further my education.

Why is there so much doubt in the world?