PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinateing your pet at home?

lute
01-29-2005, 08:55 PM
does anyone Vaccinate their pets at home? i've heard it's cheaper and i'm considering it. i give meds at the petstore so i'm not new to giving shots. i though i'd check and see what you guys think first.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-29-2005, 08:58 PM
I personally wouldn't. I would never let anyone other than my Vet vaccinate my dogs...

Vette
01-29-2005, 09:06 PM
I aggree. its scary enough to have a vet do it. let alone yourself or someone else whos not a vet.

binka_nugget
01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
When I do vaccinate my dogs (I try to restrict it to every few years), I'd rather have the vet do it. I'd rather pay a bit more for a professional to vaccinate and give my dogs a check up.

bckrazy
01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't either. Not unless I went to vet school and was trained on how to administer vaccs... not to mention, you need to have everything sterilized. Its probably just much easier to have your vet do it :)

lute
01-29-2005, 09:44 PM
i guess your right....do you know how about how much it is for puppy shots? i don't have a vet here yet.

Glacier
01-29-2005, 10:51 PM
I do it, when I vaccinate. My dogs are all seen by my vet yearly anyway--usually for one reason or another. It's a third of the price for me to do it.

However, I have recently changed my vaccination schedule adn will be going to once every three years--since they legally have to have a rabies shot that often, I'll just have the vet do all of them at the same time. I'm actually thinking of just paying to have him come out here, instead of 21 app'ts!

wolf_Q
01-29-2005, 11:08 PM
When my sister had Sydney she bought the shots to give to her. She did something wrong and ended up with this big absess at the injection site which ended up costing a lot more in vet bills than the shots would have in the first place.

So I, personally, would not try it.

Giselle
01-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Puppy shots......whoo wee...I'll have to dig up some bills, but Lucky's last exam+shots added up to about 100$. The exam itself costed 40$ so the shots were around 60$ altogether. Individually, they're not expensive. I think the rabies was like 10$ or something. The fecal test also added onto our bill, so the vaccs aren't that expensive.

What do you mean when you say you don't have a vet there? Do you mean you haven't been looking for one, or do you live in the middle of nowhere and there are no vets? I was a bit taken aback because it says you live in Nashville, and I thought Nashville was a fairly populated area:confused:

On a sidenote, Lute, are you worried about the costs? If you're going to show your dog, the costs will be much higher (show fees, X-pens, grooming tools, chokes, etc.). Just wondering:)

caseysmom
01-30-2005, 12:11 AM
I am sure there is a shot clinic in your area, here the feed stores have them weekly. The local shelter has one once a month.

Fox-Gal
01-30-2005, 12:29 AM
We do it. We order it from Dr. Fosters and Smith. But I would tell anyone else NOT to do it themselves, unless you are trained to give shots.

Even with us doing it, we only do certain dogs, Odie, Rocky and Cannilla are the only ones we do now.

The other 3, the vet takes care of them, for a couple of reason. they are the only 3 that travel with us and we have to have the tag from the vet and 2 they are uncooperative for us.

Corinna
01-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Except for Rabies I do ours . If you plan on traveling to other countries make sure you put the label on pet health record. Here ,by law, we have to have vet do the rabies. I am a vet tech and diabetic so I know how and where to give shots.

lute
01-30-2005, 01:33 PM
thanks for all the advice. i think i might as well let the vet do it. even though it costs more, i don't want to take a chance of doing it wrong. the puppers are too importaint to take chances.:D

Giselle, i'm not worried about cost at all. i just wanted to know about how much i was looking at to see how much i shouldn't spend....i'm a shopping freak.:o :D

btw, we are getting ready to leave to go see the pups and pick one out! we were gonna go thursday,but we were stuck in trafic most of the day and dad had a chili cook-off.:rolleyes: *i will post pics of them in a new thred when i get back*

Giselle
01-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up Lute! Good Luck in your search for a veterinarian.:)

Samantha Puppy
01-30-2005, 08:02 PM
The sight of needles make my stomach turn, even when I know they're not for me (if they're for me, I pass out). So no, there is no way I could give my babies vaccinations. I'll let the mean old white coats be the bad guys.