PDA

View Full Version : A work related rant

Cookiebaker
01-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Ok, before I go into this, I want everyone to know that I really DO love my job.

But here's the thing. We have a [quote]service manager[unquote] that is paid bucoo bucks, and part of his job title is ordering and inventory. That's fine, right??

Not really. Funny thing is, inventory hasn't been done in quite a while (like two years) so our inventory in the computer totally doesn't match our shelves. A couple of weeks ago (in prep. for last year's taxes) my boss "suddenly" realizes that this is a problem. :rolleyes: And he gives ME the task of doing inventory and getting it done by January 31.

I have a full time job position, that does not allow me to take the time to go count every little peice of inventory we have in stock and count it. I am SWAMPED with my own responsibilities. We were talking about how we were going to get this done, and we figured the only way we could do it, was to go in on Saturday when the phone doesn't ring, and we aren't stopping all the time for customers.

But the "Service Manager" REFUSED to be any part of it saying he had a "FAMILY" that comes first. I understand that, truly I do. But does he think that just because I don't have children that I don't have a "Family"????? I'm not getting paid overtime to do this either (but I did inform my boss on the phone that I am taking a day off next week to make up for this).

So, my co-worker & I were getting into this inventory this morning, and it was SO frustrating. (FYI we sell & service copiers & fax machines, and most of inventory is parts for these machines). I do not know the machines inside out & backwards, and therefore do not know the parts. Take a roller for example: it can be a "regular roller", a "fuser roller", or a "cleaning roller". There are no part #'s on the boxes, and we have to figure out from different clues what the make/model is to match it up to the computer print out.

But here's the thing that really gets me. I am busting my butt to get this inventory done by January 31, and I am paid 1/3 of what the service manager does. And I go in on a Saturday while he is at home with his feet up on the couch, and I am doing his responsibility????

I'm so burned out, and have this deep seated anger in me that I can't let go of. :mad:

I need a vacation, I really really need a vacation.

:mad:

**Takes a Deep Breath** Thanks for listening, really thanks for listening. Nobody else seems to understand.

dukedogsmom
01-29-2005, 04:57 PM
There is no excuse for that. Family should certainly not be used as an excuse! What about the people with no kids? Just because he's got a family doesn't make him more important and put the screws to the people are below him. Might as well get used to people higher up passing the buck to we peons. It happens everywhere. Meant to add that you've got a family, too. And just because other people don't have kids, that doesn't make them less of a family. Well, I feel lots better now.

zippy-kat
01-29-2005, 07:49 PM
What would happen if you refused on the grounds that "it's not in my job description?"

I'm concerned that if a mistake is made, it might be *your* job that's on the line. I think I would talk to the boss and say, "hey look - I have NO CLUE if I'm doing this right" and take it one step at a time from there.

I realize that not everyone's company works this way but....
My company is very much into the "you only do what's in your job description" stuff. We're a big company (offices in USA, Canada, UK) and every winter the office administrators (me) get a wire saying, "NO Office Admins are to shovel snow." (Which I find humorous... show me some snow, I'd be glad to shovel it!! lol) Also, -with the exception of our desk- we're not to clean the office. If we're caught doing this, there's consequences. That's how "by the book" they are.

Personally, I would be quite PO'd too! :mad:

Good luck ~ I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

Cookiebaker
01-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) After a few hours of relaxation and dinner with friends, I am feeling a lot better.

We are a very small company with only 6 full time employees and 2 part time. So "job descriptions" don't really apply because everybody (except the "service manager" :mad: ) has to pick up the slack. Yup, that even means shoveling the snow and cleaning the office. :p

I talked it over with Mark, and I have decided to write down exactly how I feel about this whole thing, and have a meeting on Monday morning. Mark pointed out that my boss prolly doesn't know how ripped I feel, and hasn't even considered that there would be a reason for me to be PO'd.

I'm reminded of the ppl I use to babysit for. They were a great all around American family, but one time, Gary, the husband decided that his wife should be the one to mow the lawn. She griped and complained, but he kept insisting on it. So one day she did it. And she mowed the lawn crooked and left hay-mows and a horrible looking job. That was the last time he asked her to mow the lawn. :p

Maybe on Monday when my boss sees how horrible I am at doing inventory he won't ask me to do it again. :D

zippy-kat
01-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Best wishes for everything to turn out A-OK!