PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone......

K & L
01-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Have leather furniture? If so, how does it work with the cats claws? Any better than cloth furniture? I'm thinking of getting a new lounge office chair and can't decide if I should go with fabric or leather. Any help??

catcrazylady
01-29-2005, 08:00 AM
I know several people here have leather furniture. I am scared of it because of the number of cats we have (you're in an even bigger boat than me!). I think if I had fewer cats I would be able to teach them not to scratch on it but with a full time job I don't feel like I would have the time to keep it safe from all the cats. I sure wish they would come up with cat proof leather because it would be wonderful with all the hair!:rolleyes:

boscibo
01-29-2005, 08:18 AM
I have a leather couch and a leather computer chair. The couch does show scratches - the cats can get up to speed and launch off of it. My dog Bandit used to sleep on it. Bo scratches it on the corners. It definitely shows signs of animal wear, but it is over twenty years old now. I have a newer, less than a year-old leather computer chair and it (so far) has fared better. Since it is smaller it is not used much for cat play, and doesn't have any scratches yet.

Personally, for larger items of furniture I'm going to stick with fabric - it hides the scratches better, in most cases.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-29-2005, 09:59 AM
We have leather seats. They are full of scratches yes, but I don't really care. 3 times per year, we rub leather-care-cream on the leather for maintaining. I woold never take fabric again, leather is so much comfortable!!

catmandu
01-29-2005, 10:22 AM
And The Found Cats,say,sadly no,we want leather!

jazzcat
01-29-2005, 11:44 AM
When I see how scratched our new hardwood floor already is I know leather would never survive here. I even trim everyone's claws failry regularly too.

I'm not so worried about them using it as a scratching post but just the fact that they run across and jump off all the furniture in the house.

RedHedd
01-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I have a leather loveseat that I bought from a cat-loving friend so it came "pre-treated." :) The launch-pad punctures (if there are any) don't show or perhaps I keep my kitties' claws clipped enough that they don't damage the leather when the jump off. However Mishi has taken to using a corner as a scratching post. I'm no-ing him, but he is still doing it. I think I will try some of that double-sided tape, but I won't switch back to a cloth couch. The cat hair doesn't stick to the leather so it stays much cleaner.