PDA

View Full Version : All horse lovers please help me

Buddy2101
08-04-2001, 02:32 PM
I am going to be in a horse show on sept. 22. I have never been in a show before and I am very nervose. Me and Totsie the horse I will be riding practiced once so far but I haven't practiced yet this week. For all of you who have been in a show can you please help me. I really need advice. I am pretty good and horses don't scare me or anything its just What if I mess up or somthing please help!!!!!!!!!!!11

Karen
08-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Practice, Practice! If he is easily startled or distracted by noises, ride him places where there are lots of people if you can. What event(s) will you be competing in?

Most important advice I can give: Be prapared and have fun!

Buddy2101
08-04-2001, 03:37 PM
No she is not easly scared she used to be riden on highways so she is all calm and stuff. Umm I am not sure all I know is I canter her around the ring then I have to make her take 3 steps backwords and get her to turn around. The only thing I have trouble with is the steps backword. Thanx fro your help and I am sure we will have fun!

BandiTank
08-04-2001, 05:42 PM
I have never shown a horse but my uncles and grandpa has. My uncle first showed when he was 10, and he said as long as you practice you will be fine. I have riden in front of other people, at rodeos and stuff (not showing or competing) and I get kind of nervous having strangers watching me, half the time tellng me I'm am doing something wrong (which I wasn't its just the way things go here in Tennessee) so all I did was not look at anything around me, I looked straight in front of the horse or between the horses ears. It makes you a lot less nervous. When I first started out I had a problem with backing up, too, but part of that depends on the horse. But I have gotten used to backing up. I also have a problem with "staying on the wall" and I tend to go in tight circles instead of wide ones, try not to let the horse control you, make sure he/she listens to you. The best of luck to you! Let us know how it turns out!

Daisy's Mom
08-05-2001, 12:16 AM
I don't have much experience with horses, and I have none at all for showing them, but I do wish you luck! I hope your first experience is fun and rewarding... and of course, winning wouldn't hurt, either :) Tell us how it goes! :)

tatsxxx11
08-05-2001, 05:32 AM
Sorry I have no experience with horses. But just go out there with confidence and lots of pride in your beautiful Totsie, and most of all, HAVE FUN!! This is your first show, and just participating and competing makes you an A # 1 WINNER!!! Good Luck! And let us know how things went!

horse_1987
08-05-2001, 06:16 AM
Just have fun and try your best. If I were you, i wouldn't worry about messing up. It'll just make you more nervous, and thats not good. Its your first horse show, have fun! When I started riding i was a very nervous rider when it came to riding in front of people. I learned to laugh at my mistakes and have fun. Good luck!

Buddy2101
08-22-2001, 04:18 PM
I am not going into a show till next year because my friend is redoing her house and has no time to give me lessons. O well more time to practice! I rode with just the sadle blanket on. I was able to trot, walk and do tricks with her. We ride really good together. Well I will update ya all later.

horse_1987
08-22-2001, 08:49 PM
I can't show until next year either :( my new filly who i was going to show recently decided that she didn't want to be ridden and every time i sit on her she goes wild and bucks like crazy until i fall :rolleyes: she is very stubborn. i have no idea what to do with her. I have been bucked off her 16 times, and i have only ridden her about 20 times. i havn't tried to ride her in over 3 weeks, we've just been doing ground work. I'm not that upset about not being able to show, because i still get to ride in fairs this year with my 4-H club (im borrowing a horse) :) good luck with ur riding Buddy, keep it up. I've been riding 6 years and to me learning how to ride was the best thing i ever did for myself.

Buddy2101
08-24-2001, 07:39 PM
Sounds liek fun! I am sorry about your filly. I hope he or she gets better about being riden. I am sure with a teacher like you he or she will learn that someone on you is a good thing.