PDA

View Full Version : Dumbo

Jods
01-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I got my new dumbo girl tonight I get the other two tomorrow. She is really timid I;ve never seen a rat so shy... Any tips for a shy rat?? It makes me nervous I've seen shy rats start biting anyone else have a really shy rat I dunno how to get her to trust me.

wolfsoul
01-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Congrats!

Hand feed her lots. Put an item of clothing (something you don't mind getting wrecked), like a sock, in her cage so she gets used to being around your scent. Handle her ALOT -- just carry her around on your shoulder for an hour a day. She should warm up in no time. :) Some rats take a while. My RB rat Icarus took about a month befoe he finally liked me, but he was also 3 months old when I got him. My babies stopped being afraid of me within about a week. They were 7 weeks old when I got them, so I think the younger the better. How old is your girl? Any name yet?

Lexi_Lover
01-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow! I thought you were only getting two! COngrats! You're gonna have to post pictures! :D

Jods
01-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Shes 6 weeks (they say) I think shes older... the other two are coming tomorrow. :D They are 6 weeks on Tuesday.
She is really cute.

Jods
01-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah I tried to hand feed her but she won't take what I give her she just smells it.

luckies4me
01-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Where did you get them from?

Jods
01-28-2005, 10:27 PM
The dumbo is from a breeder in my area and the other two are from an accidental litter... I will get them tomorroW!!! :D :D

luckies4me
01-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Who is the breeder though? LOL

CongRATS btw! :D

DejaVu
01-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Congratulations and good luck. Give her some time to settle in and get used to her new home. She should come around in no time. She is still a baby, so she isn't to sure about all these new things. ;)

molucass
01-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Do you have any pictures of her? :)

luvofallhorses
01-29-2005, 12:35 PM
congrats :D

Jods
01-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I have one, but its not that great. (picture) I don't know the breeders name my cousin might. Its a breeder that sells to a pet shop though :( So we found her out by the Pet store Super Pet, but one good thing they don't sell as feed. Shes doing better today she sat with me and watched tv shes so sweet. I can't wait to get the babies tonight. I just found out some bad news about her though the woman who was selling them for the breeder kept boys and girls together cuz she said they were to young to get pregnant people are so STUPID and what and dumb breeder. So keep your fingers crossed she was too young. The other too girls are younger then I thought they are 4 weeks and the breeder seperated them on thursday. Just in time to she caught a boy doing the nasty to his brother!! :rolleyes: :eek: Good thing she seperated them. I don't have a name still I need HELP I want it to have to do with her big ears though, but not Dumbo... Here is a picture. I will get a better one later.When I introduce her to her sisters it will be in a playpen I bought I will seperate them though i have another cage just in case. Wish me luck that they like each other!! Oh yeah the dumbo has already been quarentined for 5 days thats why it took so long for me to get her, in case you were wondering.

molucass
01-29-2005, 01:57 PM
She's adorable. :)

These names don't have anything to do with her ears, but the female rats I've had in the past were:

Sara
Toryn
Aiyla
Abbi
Muffin
Bacardi
Gwen
Paris
Athena
Arwen

Feel free to use one of those names if you like any of them. :)

luckies4me
01-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Rats always mount eachother. ;) No matter the sex. This is how they play, show dominance, and a way to know when a female is in heat. Everytime my girls are in heat they will start pouncing on others, or other girls will try to mount them. Their not actually trying to mate. :p

lute
01-29-2005, 03:57 PM
oooo....i love picking names!:D

fiona
ginger
happy
shylee (because she so shy....yet it's girly)
weeble
lexis
candy
dandy
jakie (pernounced Jay-Key)
joslyn

maybe i'll be able to name a second rat of yours.lol:p