PDA

View Full Version : What does your state use to treat your roads in the winter.

davidpizzica
01-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I was just curious. what does your state use to treat your roads in the winter. In Pa. they use ALOT of salt. I just ran my car through a car wash and I found out my car is blue instead of white!

moosmom
01-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Because the state of Michigan is set on the world's largest salt mine, guess what they use????? SALT!!! My car USED to be purple. During the winter it's white! :p

vinjashira
01-28-2005, 04:15 PM
here in dorset, england they use grit.

aly
01-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Well, since I live in Texas, I have no clue what we use since the roads need to be treated maybe once every other year :o I think they use sand though? I remember it being brown (I think).

jazzcat
01-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Salt here.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by aly
Well, since I live in Texas, I have no clue what we use since the roads need to be treated maybe once every other year :o I think they use sand though? I remember it being brown (I think).

They use sand in Texas and boy does it make a mess! The day we were leaving Texas it was just a bit rainy, but it was only a few days after the 4" of snow that hit Galveston on Christmas day for the first time in recorded history :rolleyes: . So, the sand that was still on the roads along with the misty rain made a TOTAL mess out of the motorhome and the Tracker! When we got to the campground in Louisiana Terry swore he had never seen the motorhome so dirty before (and yes, he swore at more than that, but I can't repeat all that here;) ) and I have never seen the Tracker as dirty as it was! It was white this morning from all the salt - so much so that you couldn't hardly tell it was really green, but compared to what it was when we left Texas.....:rolleyes: I couldn't even see out the windows! I had to wash them before I could go to the car wash! Oh, and just so you know, the Tracker always really gets it bad because it follows so close behind the motorhome (we tow it) that it gets all the spray from the motorhome, but even so, we have never seen it as filthy as it was. The grime had to be 1/2" thick, and I'm not kidding!

Anyway, that was the last, ultimate, final straw. Sorry Aly and all the other Texans here, but we aren't going to hurry back to Texas anytime soon. This wasn't one of our better trips - between the wind, the snow, the rain and then the filthy filthy roads...bleh!

....had some great food though! ;) :D

As for Illinois, we're like Michigan, salt, salt and more salt. Sometimes I don't even think they plow, just dump as much salt as they can. :rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
01-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Sand and salt here....a half & half mixture that makes for quite a mess. But it works. Now if only the plow drivers would actually put the darn plow blade on the ground instead of (what seems like) half a foot up! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My Peanuts
01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
They use salt here in Illinois.

RICHARD
01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
WHAT A BUNCH OF WUSSIES!!!

A little lime juice and tequila.....

Voila!!!

Slushies!!!!:D

Or course, if you drive into a snow drift there is one way to escape!!!!

petslover
01-28-2005, 05:29 PM
They use gravel here. They do a very good job here when it ices here. They get the roads done right.

RedHedd
01-28-2005, 05:52 PM
LOL RICHARD. Here in CA I don't think they do anything - they don't even fill the potholes! :rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
01-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Down here in Florida they use the sun.;)

Fox-Gal
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Down here in Florida they use the sun.;)

LOL and if the sun doesn't work they use tourists. fill it full of slow, lost tourists........everything gets out of the way. :eek: ;)

Guess you meant snow.......OOPS, bad me, thinking of something else

PepperRSM
01-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Salt here and our truck is *covered* in it. It was a bit warmer yesterday so my mom and I went to the car wash, but there was about 10 cars in line :o so we decided to just wait till the next warmer day :p

GiantSchnauzer
01-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Sand, salt, and that liquid. I can't remember what the name of the liquid is but I've seen them spraying it on the highways. I love it when they throw sand down instead of plowing down to the pavement. :rolleyes: Pointless IMO. Thank goodness I have a 4x4.

pitc9
01-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Salt on the main roads, and cinders on the back roads.

anna_66
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Salt

Originally posted by david p
I just ran my car through a car wash and I found out my car is blue instead of white!
Same here! Of course I just washed it and went to the grocery and it was raining/snow/sleet (something like that) when I got out so my Durango was dirty before I could even get home:rolleyes:
I hate winter.

K9soul
01-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Around here they use salt and sand. Not sure about the liquid some mention, maybe in the Twin Cities.

Karen
01-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Sand and salt. I, too, went through the car wash yesterday after realizing I couldn't recognize my car in the parking lot. It was the same color grey as every other car. It is now, even if temporarily, back to it's normal green color.