PDA

View Full Version : 1, 2, 3....13?? (An update)

NoahsMommy
01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
;) I just saw my GI/Internist last night. We went over some bloodwork we did to check for a certain allelle in my blood. This allelle is required for me to take a new drug (new for me, not a new drug) beginning tomorrow. Luckily, I have it! Yay!!

The new drug is a 6MP (Mercaptopurine). Its an immunosuppressant and it typically prescribed for leukemia patients. Its main function is to stop the growth of abnormal cells. This drug is used in patients that have Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Ulcerative Colitis and/or Crohn's Disease) to stop the attack on the digestive system, thus stopping (or curbing) inflammation. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for at least 6 weeks.

I had to sign (with a witness) that I do want to take this medication. I've never had to do that. I guess the possible side effects (pancreatitis, liver function, anemia) warrant this. My doctor has assured me that he's NEVER seen pancreatitis in any of his patients as a result of this. I tend to get anemic quickly, but I guess I add some iron suppliments again. He also said he has a few Crohn's patients on this drug and he hasn't seen them other than for their yearly exams! (I typically see him at least every other month...more if I get to spend time in the hospital.)

So, all in all, I take 13 pills daily...this is actually better, before this month, they only made my Pentasa in 250 mg, so I was taking 16 of those daily, now its 8 (500mg) daily, plus my 2 Entocort (steriods), 1 Aciphex, 1 Klonopin and now my 1 6MP.

In six weeks (and two different blood draws to check up on me) I'll see my doctor again and he'll taper me off the Entocort (down to 1). Yay! My vanity doesn't enjoy the side effects...zits, swollen face.

I'm hoping that this medication will work and I'll be able to reduce my other meds. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
wow... :eek:

I couldn't imagine having to keep up with that many meds..

You are such a strong person!!!!!!!

I am glad you are getting something different.. I hope it works out just like you want... keep us updated.:)

slick
01-28-2005, 12:33 PM
That's great news Sis!! :) :)
{{{HUGS}}}

NoahsMommy
01-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks! :)

wolflady
01-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes, that's great news!! I sure hope that this new drug works well and that you can start tapering off the number of pills you have to take a day. Bless your heart!
**hugs**
Karen

shais_mom
01-29-2005, 12:53 AM
good luck Kelly!

lovemyshiba
01-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I hope the new meds work out for you Kelly!!!

Good luck!!

catnapper
01-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Wow, I have no idea how you do it and remain so upbeat. Good luck on the new meds... I sincerely hope they work and keep you out of the hospital and doctor's office. GOOD LUCK!

petslover
01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Wow, that is alot of Medicines to take every day.. I hope it all works out for you..

If you don't mind me asking, what are you taking them for?