PDA

View Full Version : Normal?

catnapper
01-28-2005, 05:23 AM
Maybe I'm jumping ahead and worrying too much...... but Abby was spayed yesterday and seems to be in pain today. I still do not have her home (Miss Jen still has her hostage! :D) If Jen says she's in pain, I know Jen is telling me the honest truth.

I'm going to be sick about this all day... she is such a little girl. IS it becsuse she's so small that the surgery seemed bigger? Is pain just normal after spaying? I've never had a female cat before and its been ten years since Nicki was spayed so I don't remember what her recovery was like. I have NO IDEA what to expect from her. If pain is normal, is here anything we can give her for the pain?

Ok, now I'm so worked up I'm crying. :(

jenluckenbach
01-28-2005, 05:45 AM
Here are some facts.....she was spayed about 8pm last night (so it is not even 12 hours since the spay). They DID give her a pain killer at that time (she was done at a clinic). They used surgical glue (not stitches...and this is my first experience with that).

She IS very small, could that make her less tolerant of pain?

She is tender at the incision site (more-so than the other girls I have had done.....but I haven't really had a whole lot done, so not a LOT of experience)

She is swollen at the incision site, but the other girls had swelling too.....but for some reason it seems like more to me.

So, anyone who has vet clinic experience or knows what is really normal this soon after spaying, please let us know.

(I'll be talking to the vet in a few hours when the office opens to see what she thinks)

Barbara
01-28-2005, 05:50 AM
I cannot say anything about girl kitties. I keep my fingers crossed and tell the boys to cross their paws.

catnapper
01-28-2005, 05:57 AM
But Jen, remember, she IS smaller, so normal swelling might look like BIGGER swelling? Follow me? I can imagine what the same swelling would look like on Allen - you'd probably hardly notice it. (See... I'm trying to make myself feel better! :D)

I've been 'googling' what I should expect after a spay (and not finding much) but they all say that pain and swelling is very normal. To watch for excessive swelling, discolorations, pussing, etc. They all say that medicating is standard practive after spay (I remember this being the topic of several interesting threads around here.)

I was wondering how I was going to have the sutures removed in a week. From what I hear, the surgical glue is a perfecly accepted way of closing a surgical opening.

Lori, what happened after Rumor was spayed? Who else recently had a girlie spayed? Debbie? Was Lizzie spayed yet? I'm so bad I can't remember!

ratchet22
01-28-2005, 06:09 AM
I just had heart fixed. Her Dr. keeps them over night. And the next day they seem fine. A little sore if they jump around to much, but not really any pain. I would watch it 24 hours and if she isnt up and more active by then, call them. Or if you feel that worried, call them anyways.

Jods
01-28-2005, 07:29 AM
I would watch her like a hawk if she was in pain. I'm not trying to make your more nervous, but when Pixie came home she was perfectly normal jumping, playing running. But every cat is different and recovers different. Maybe call the vet and just see what they say.

CalliesMom
01-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Poor lil Abby. I hope everything is okay and she is at home with her Meowmy soon!!!

catmandu
01-28-2005, 08:31 AM
My Girl cats,were spayed,when they came,to the Hotel,but Princess had no pain,and I would take,Abby,back,to the Vets,as it seems,as though something,is wrong,and The Found Cats,Strays and Rehomed Strays,and Angels,are Praying,for Abby,as am I.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Botm my girls were very quiet the first day, but I don't think they were in much pain. Of course, the vet gave them some painkillers. The second day, both were playing around like usual!
I would watch your cat like a hawk; if the swelling gets worse, or if she doesn't let you touch her, contact your vet. Better be sure, hey!!

NoahsMommy
01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
For ANY reason, you can take her to that vet and ask for a pain shot.

They're like us and have different pain tolerances.

Out of lets say, 10 spays, about 2 would come back for a pain shot or request pain medicine to take home with them.

Both Pee Pee and Sami required extra pain shots (one for the road) after their spays. (Sami was a total crypto)

The incision is allowed to be a bit swollen, but NOT red or hot to the touch.

If she's in pain, she can get a pain shot. If she's not in pain, but just seems like it, the pain shot wont hurt her.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Kim, Peanut was spayed by the time I got her, so I have little to no knowledge about them, but I would think after any such invasive type surgery there will be pain and swelling. I think the reason most vets keep the girls overnight is because of this, and because they know the meowmies with worry. ;)

I would think you could call your regular vet and ask them if they think it's normal. You may get the standard "we'll have to see her" response, but they might be more than happy to give you some things to watch out for too.

I know Jen is extremely good at spotting potential problems with kitties and I would feel very confident knowing Abby is in her care, so try not to worry too much. It could just be that she's a small kitty and it all just seems worse than it is, or it could be that it's just really soon after the surgery and she's still recovering.

I'm sure she will be up and at 'em in no time (thinking positive).

{{{hugs}}} 'cause I read about your stressful morning already. Hope things calm down and go a bit easier for you as the day goes on!

sasvermont
01-28-2005, 11:19 AM
I have four girls, one yet to be spayed. My experience is that (after 24 hours at the vet) they come home a little tired. I suspect you are seeing what I don't normally see, because the cat is at the vets for a little over 24 hours. I have heard of vets giving pain meds right before the let them go home. I have seen swelling, but nothing that needed attention beyond keeping the incision clean and the cat inactive. I bet the vet would give you some meds if you asked.

Poor little girl.

SAS

jazzcat
01-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Kim, Rumor's surgery was at 1:00 pm on Thursday and I didn't pick her up until 10:30 am on Friday so I didn't see the first 18 hours post surgery. My vet insist they stay overnight.

She was very quiet and mostly sleep that first day home but the next day was business as usual. She never acted in pain unless just being quiet was her way. Her incision never really looked very swollen either. She had stitches.

I'm sorry to hear Abby is having a hard time of it. I think now I may be glad the vet made her stay overnight because it would have killed me to see her hurt. If I were you or Jen I would call and ask the vet to make sure things are okay.

jenluckenbach
01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
UPDATE!

After a day of worry, I got home from work to a perfectly happy Abby. (WHEW)

You are correct, I was seeing what I normally do NOT see......those first hours after surgery.

Her swelling is normal for the procedure, and she is just a bit more tender in that spot than the other girls I had done.

But she is up and about, eating without vomiting and happy about everything but the CONE!

Kim is on her way home with Abby right now with instructions to use a heating pad for the swelling and neosporin (gently) on the incision.

Thanks for your concerns.

catnapper
01-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Boy that girl feels fine!!! She had more than enough energy to scream the whole ride home. No, I take that back, only 55 minutes out of the 60 minute drive :rolleyes: Do you know what a cat sounds like with a rough throat from the anestheia (sp?) tube?

Anyway, she's been purring non-stop since we got home. She practically leaped out of the carrier, and was ever do happy to see Harry again. He didn't hiss at her - he ran right up to her and sniffed her. Pouncer on the other hand DID hiss (why am I not surprised?)

Thank you everyone for your support. I missed my girl more than I'd ever thought I would, but she was in the best hands.

PS: Jen, she started screaming before I even finished putting on my seat belt. What a fun ride down 222 that was! woohoo! :rolleyes:

rg_girlca
01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
PHEW!!!! Thanks Jen for the update. This is good news.:)

Kim will feel better now that she has precious Abby back home in her arms.

Barbara
01-28-2005, 04:16 PM
That's happy news:D

As for crying: we only have 20 minutes to the vet but Tigris as well as Filou can cry this distance no problem;)

Catnapper: now you can change your siggy again:D

catnapper
01-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
Catnapper: now you can change your siggy again:D
Yes, I can and will... I have to take some photos of her with her E collar first! :D

NoahsMommy
01-28-2005, 05:20 PM
YAY!! Its good to hear she's home (not catnapped by Jen ;) ) and feeling better.

:)

kimlovescats
01-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Welcome Home Sweet Abby ... now cuddle up and make Meowmmy feel better!!:eek: ;)

catcrazylady
01-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Poor baby! How is she today? She probably feels lots better just being back home. There's no place like home when you don't feel good. I hope she is doing well and give her some {{{hugs}}} from me.