PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Rat People Asap!!

Jods
01-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi
okay you all know I'm getting 2 baby rats well I may be getting three. There is this rat I have completly fallin in love with she is a female dumbo, but the problem is has a bald spot at the back end of her. The woman I talked to said it was just from the cage rubbing on her and her cagemates from over grooming her cuz they are constantly doing it... What do you guys think??:confused:

molucass
01-27-2005, 08:51 PM
To get a faster reply, I'd suggest joining this rat forum.. I'm sure they would be able to help you...

Rat forum (http://www.goosemoose.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=61)
:)

Jods
01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
I joined and they said its either barbering or mites. Now I'm just trying to find out where I can buy Ivermectin. Any ideas??

shutterbug0303
01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Jodie....That is what Sahara is on to keep her mange at bay. You are going to have to find a "liberal" vet who will not mind supplying a cow heart-worm killer! That is the treatment we wanted for my girl all along, but it was tough to find someone to write the prescrip. Call some local vets and explain the situation. Someone may be willing to take a look and prescibe some (if that is the recommended remody). Isn't Ivermectin strong for a rattie?!?!? We had to be super careful for a 100 pound dog....??

Desert Arabian
01-27-2005, 09:26 PM
When you give Ivermectin to a rat, you need to give them a "strip" the size of an uncooked piece of rice. If you overdose they WILL die- it is too powerful for them. When I had all 10 rats at the same time, they all got lice- what fun- the Ivermectin helped in days.

wolfsoul
01-27-2005, 09:37 PM
You can get Ivermectin at some pet supply stores. Make sure it is HORSE ivermectin -- it is much better than Ivermectin for dogs. However, I'd make sure it was actually mites before using it. Ivermectin isn't somethign to be fooled around with. Check her fur and see if you can see anything. If she is the only one in the litter with a bald spot, I would suspect barbering rather than mites or lice.

manda_moo87
01-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Here you can buy Ivermectin at Buckfields or Shar-Kare, do you have either of these stores in your area?

Jods
01-28-2005, 07:10 AM
No I don't. She is the only one in the litter with a bald spot other then a little boy but he is a rex and its not that big of a patch so I was thinking it may be just how his hair is cause its a tiny spot. I have to pick her up tonight. I will ask about the mites.