PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Vacation Without Your Dog?

Chica
01-27-2005, 06:11 PM
THIS IS MY PROBLEM!!! :( I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE MY CHIHUAHUA "CHICA " AND GO ON A SHORT VACATION. I WANT TO GO PLACES ONLY IF CHICA IS ALLOWED TO GO ALSO. FOR INSTANCE, YOU CAN TAKE YOUR DOG TO LAS VEGAS, BECAUSE THERE ARE HOTELS THAT ALLOW PETS. I AM A CALIFORNIA GAL. :) I CAN PLAN TRIPS TO THE BEACHES IN THE SUMMER AND TAKE HER WITH ME.:)
AM I WEIRD BECAUSE I WANT TO DO THINGS WITH MY DOG? MY SISTER ASKED ME TODAY TO GO ON A CRUISE WITH HER AND HER HUSBAND AND CHILDREN. IT IS A MINI CRUISE TO ENSENADA MEXICO, IT LEAVES ON A FRIDAY AND YOU COME BACK ON A MONDAY. I HAVE DONE THIS TRIP MANY TIMES ALREADY, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE CHICA THEN.
PT PEOPLE, WHAT DO YOU THINK? HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS ISSUE? :confused:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICAENHANCED1.jpg

GiantSchnauzer
01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Well, I don't think you're crazy for wanting to take your dog with you on vaca. I take my dog with me but my trips lately have been only camping trips. If I was to go somewhere I couldn't bring Zoey I'd leave her with my parents or one of my closest friends. I really, really want to go to FLA to visit friends/family. Zoey wouldn't be able to come. I bet you'd have it alot easier than I would with trying to find a hotel that allows dogs. Alot of places seem to only take small dogs. My pup is 92 lbs.

Stacey

Kfamr
01-27-2005, 06:34 PM
For me personally, it wouldn't be a vacation without my dogs!

Samantha Puppy
01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Sometimes you just can't take your pets with you. My husband and I didn't take her on our honeymoon. Did I miss her? Heck yeah! But it's like kids - you love them like crazy and miss them while you're apart, but it sure is good to get away from everything for a day or two every once in awhile.

Kfamr
01-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
but it sure is good to get away from everything for a day or two every once in awhile.

Not for me! :p

I HATE to be away from my dogs.

K9soul
01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
LOL, David and I DID take our dogs on our honeymoon :D. I guess I feel like Kay about that, maybe we're codependent with our dogs :D. Every time I think about going off on a trip without them, I get anxious just thinking about the separation. I have never been parted from Tasha or Tommy overnight before.

PJ's Mom
01-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to Vegas in March and can't take my babies. :(

slleipnir
01-27-2005, 07:24 PM
I hate being away from my pets. I will do it depending, but I feel homesick the whole time and can't wait to get home and see my babies :o

Chica
01-27-2005, 07:26 PM
STACEY,
GREAT, I'M NOT CRAZY. MAYBE I WOULD HAVE IT EASIER TO TAKE CHICA PLACES. AT SOME OTHER TIME MY MOM WOULD TAKE CARE OF HER, BUT RIGHT NOW SHE IS TAKING CARE OF MY SICK FATHER.

KAY,
I FEEL THE SAME WAY , A VACATION WOULD NOT BE FUN WITHOUT CHICA.

SAMANTHA'S MOM,
OUR PETS ARE OUR KIDS. THEY ARE WONDERFUL! CHICA LOVES TO GO EVERYWHERE WITH ME!

JESSICA,
WE ARE CO-DEPENDENT, TASHA, TOMMY LOOK LIKE WONDERFUL HAPPY DOGS. WE LOVE OUR PETS!

PJ'S MOM,

PEEJ AND BAILEY , I WOULD MISS THEM, THEY ARE SO CUTE!;)

Chica
01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I hate being away from my pets. I will do it depending, but I feel homesick the whole time and can't wait to get home and see my babies :o

I HATE BEING AWAY FROM CHICA. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OFF WORK AND GO HOME AND SEE HER.:)

GiantSchnauzer
01-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree with Samatha puppy. It is nice to get away from everything for a few days but on the other hand sometimes I'd rather be with my dog then with some people. :p

sammy101
01-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I've taken month long vacations without my dogs.Yes i do miss them,but i dont mind getting away for a while.And its harder to take larger dogs b/c hotels only take dogs that weigh up to 50 lbs or whatever.
You dogs wont hate you for leaving them for a couple of days;) .I just wait to come home and see how excited they are to see me:D
And plus when you have dogs with you,you cant do as much as you want to.and we cant take our dogs on most of our vacations we go on.We fly up to Canada every year and it would be expensive to fly them up,and plus some of our relatives arent dog people:p

dukedogsmom
01-27-2005, 09:02 PM
www.petfriendly.com You can find hotels that allow dogs. I just remembered that URL. I'm leaving in two weeks for Maryland but I won't have Duke. I'll miss him terribly. I'm scared something is going to happen to him while I'm gone. That's how much I'll miss him so I really do understand.

cloverfdx
01-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
but it sure is good to get away from everything for a day or two every once in awhile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not for me!

I HATE to be away from my dogs.
I am the same Kay, i hate being seperated from my pups.

dukedogsmom
01-28-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't like being away from Duke, either.

Samantha Puppy
01-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Wow.

I'm not saying that I can't wait to get away from Samantha, Sushi or Kirin. I love my animals very much, I too refer to them as my furkids. They are the topic of most of my conversations. I have pictures of them in my wallet and show them off all the time. I never meet my coworkers for Happy Hour so that I can just go home and be with my pets. When friends invite my husband and I over or out, I invite them to our house instead so I don't have to leave them home alone. When I was on my honeymoon, I called my parents several times that week to see how she was doing. When we got home, I didn't wait for my husband to carry me over the threshold of our new house. I jumped out of the car before he even had it in park, bolted up the steps, and hugged Samantha for about 10 minutes straight.

But sometimes, I need an escape from real life. When we go out of town and Samantha can't or doesn't go with us, she stays with my parents (whom she adores, and they adore her). I know she's happy and that puts me at ease. Do I like leaving her? No. I was talking to my husband the other night and the subject of Samantha's eventual passing came up IN PASSING - it wasn't even the topic of conversation - and I burst into tears. I love my girl as much as you all love yours... When looking for a beach house to rent this year, I specifically looked for one that allows pets so that Sam could go, and she is. But if the opportunity came up for us to go somewhere and she couldn't go, I'd still go. I'd call from wherever I went to check up on her. I'd miss her like crazy. But I'd still go. That doesn't mean I love her any less or view her as "just" a pet.

K9soul
01-28-2005, 10:00 AM
I think people are getting defensive and reading too much into things. No one said someone who left their dogs for vacation didn't love them as much. I suffer from anxiety problems, and it flares so badly when I leave them that I just avoid it. I wish conversations in which people differed in feelings a bit didn't turn into people feeling defensive about their stance. I read over the responses again and no where did I see anyone suggesting that people who left their pets must love them less.

Samantha Puppy
01-28-2005, 10:03 AM
No one SAID that but when everyone after me says "I don't feel that way" or "I can't leave them", it makes me feel like sh!t so I chose to say something for my sake as much as anyone else's.

Sheesh.

Chica
01-29-2005, 06:56 PM
I AM SURE EVERYONE ON PT AGREES THAT WE ALL LOVE OUR PETS AND TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF THEM!!!RIGHT PT?:) I JUST THINK I WAS GOING OVERBOARD WITH MY FEELINGS ABOUT CHICA. AND I FOUND OUT ON PT THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK LIKE ME.;) I GOT SO ATTACHED TO CHICA THAT I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE HER.;) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICAENHANCED1.jpg

HAVE A GREAT DAY! :D