PDA

View Full Version : I need some support right now...

ramanth
01-27-2005, 02:30 PM
I just had a bit of bomb dropped in my lap, but I love my boss and she did her best to reassure me even as I teared up.

Okay.... long and short of it... I maintain the Library's website. Well, the Communications Dept. that oversees the Web Development Dept., decided that the other departments don't need an 'in-house' web tech. Originally they said they could to maintain the actual pages, we would just have to submit it to them for posting. But they've obviously changed their mind.

Then Clare showed me the papers she had. Communications put a job position in the paper. My job described to a 'T'.

Clare said I'm not losing my job, it'll just change. Title, duties, ect. I don't think I'll get paid less... that didn't come up.

However, Clare said they don't want to lose me, but she knows how much I love doing what I do and if I wanted to apply, she and the Library's Dean would give me glowing recommendations. She said there is a possiblity I could get paid more.

But I love my job here. I love the people here.

I guess it would be stupid of me not to apply but I shudder thinking about working for them.

Clare said if I apply but don't get the job I can continue working for the Library.

I can't stop crying! I'm so red in the face right now... I don't know what to do.... :(

Logan
01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Oh, Kimmy, what a shocker. You hang in there. It sounds as if you have tremendous support in your area, and something will work out for you. This certainliy does not sound as if you have done anything wrong at all.

I trust you to make a good decision about what is next, since I'm not there, but I just know you will be just fine, regardless.

Love,
Logan

moosmom
01-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Communications put a job position in the paper. My job described to a 'T'.

Why would you have to apply for your own job??? :confused:

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Kimmy. I would apply for the job anyway. Like Clare said, if you don't get the job, at least you can stay on at the Library.

What I don't understand is why would they want to hire a newbie that they'd have to train, when they already have someone who is fully trained and seasoned??? I just don't get it.

Hang in there honey. I know how hard it is to worry about whether or not your job is secure. It's not fun. But I hope they will come to their senses and see that they have a wonderful, reliable, EXPERIENCED person right under their stupid noses!!

((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

ramanth
01-27-2005, 02:52 PM
It's all politics Donna.

The thing I keep running thru my head.... pay raise or not.... do I want to continue doing what I like (web work) but be unhappy, or do I want to continue working where I am already happy and learn new things?

GraciesMommy
01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Remember when one door closes a window usually opens

It will all work out...follow your heart on this one..

K9soul
01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
This is really an awful stress to deal with Kimmy, and I'm so sorry this has happened. I know how frustrating and draining the office politics can be. I do believe in the long run that happiness in your job is more important than a pay raise. What good is extra money if you are miserable from day to day? I realize it might help and be nice but I just don't think it's worth it at the cost of your happiness.

I still hold hope that this will turn out to be a good thing, eventhough now it is so stressful and depressing for you. {{hugs}} and positive thoughts are going out to you :)

Cinder & Smoke
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
:(

Hmmmmmm...

Sounds to me like the Communications Dept hasn't heard of
TEAMwork; nor understands the concept of "moving" the experienced
Employee WITH the Job. :mad:

I'd go back to YOUR Boss and ask her if she could arrange a
meeting with the Head Of Comms, herself, and You.
Purpose being:
Ask Boss to "explain" the not-so-obvious fact that YOU are already
DOING the job that Comms has just advertised for... and
The Curtious thing to do is for Comms to Interview YOU for a TRANSFER
to their Dept (along with the Work You're DOING) -
"before" they advertise for a new employee.

I'd also "wonder" if "someone" isn't already waiting in the wings
for the "new" job in the Comm Dept.

Sounds like a raw deal for you!
I'd ask your Boss for some more Help in resolving this - ASAP.

WE're all with ya 110% - but we don't sign you paycheck.

Try to keep a clear head and focus on finding a Happie Solution.

BIG {{{HUGS}}}, Kimmy!! ;)

/s/ Phre

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm so sorry Kimmy. I know this is a useless statement right now, but you know they always say when one door closes another opens....

I think you should apply for the job. Just because you apply and they accept you doesn't mean you have to take it. At least that would give you a chance to "feel them out" during the interview and such, and if you don't like it, you stay where you're at and learn something new. You never know, you might find there's something you love doing more than what you're doing now?

All I know is you have to have faith that it will all turn out ok in the end. It's tough having to deal with the right here and now of it all, but if you keep that in mine, you'll pull through ok. Be strong. You're good at what you do and any company should be glad to have you on their payroll! :)

ramanth
01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Ask Boss to "explain" the not-so-obvious fact that YOU are already
DOING the job that Comms has just advertised for... and
The Curtious thing to do is for Comms to Interview YOU for a TRANSFER
to their Dept (along with the Work You're DOING) -
"before" they advertise for a new employee.
Actually Phred, she did that before she even talked to me. She was mad when she saw the job position and went and asked why they didn't just approach her and I and offer me the job. Head of Communications just shrugged and said that's not the way it's done.

To be honest though, I think if they came straight to me I'd be even more stressed.

It's been a long standing joke here at the Library that IT/Communications could never have me because the Library loves me so. Now that joke leaves a bad taste..... :(

And I forgot to mention... I don't do JUST web work for the Library. It's the main part of my job, but over the years of working here, I've taken on additional non-web tasks. That's why Clare said I'd still have a job here and that she'd find stuff for me to do to fill in the web gap.

NoahsMommy
01-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
The thing I keep running thru my head.... pay raise or not.... do I want to continue doing what I like (web work) but be unhappy, or do I want to continue working where I am already happy and learn new things?

Kimmy,

This is a very important question. In my experience, doing what you enjoy, but in a less than positive setting isn't all that great.

But, working for someone you enjoy and respect...add learning new things...and it sounds like a better deal.

Either way, the situation really does suck and I'm sorry about that. I hope you'll feel better about it soon. Like someone said before, things do tend to happen for a reason...usually good ones that we find out later.

It was really nice of your current boss to come to you and offer her recommendation. I'm sure she'd be saddened to lose you, but seems to have your best interests in mind. I would keep that close to your heart/mind when you make your decision.

Take care. :) We're here for you. Keep us updated, OK??

Rachel
01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Stay cool and professional, Kimmy, and think positive. Things like this happen all the time. It may really be the same position and responsibilities you have now but the paycheck coming out of a different department. They may have to *post* every position. I have a friend who had to *apply for her own job* and she got it, although at the time she was thinking things looked really bleak.

What I don't understand is why you weren't informed if your current *position* was to be realligned under some other department before they did any posting. Your current boss sounds like a dear. She *has your back*.

K9karen
01-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Yikes! Geesh, Kim, office politics stink, I've been there. Don't even get me started...
Personally, I believe being happy at your job is the most important. Being able to want to go to work in the morning because you love what you do and the people you work with was a decision I made. This stuff makes my head spin. How cruel and insensitive "big business" can be, especially when it comes from behind a desk, behind a big closed door when the "little" guy who busts butt gets the shaft. I know you'll make the right choice. I'll be thinking of you.

kimlovescats
01-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Kimmy, I have never been much of a career type, so I can't offer any great advice. I would just say follow your heart on what you think would make you the happiest and most comfortable. Afterall, your job is your home away from home! Why be miserable?

(((HUGS)))
Kim;)

Cinder & Smoke
01-27-2005, 04:25 PM

It's been a long standing joke here at the Library that IT/Communications could never have me because the Library loves me so. Now that joke leaves a bad taste..... :(

"Joke" might have also been heard by someone in IT/Comms -
and they didn't like it. :(

... over the years of working here,
I've taken on additional non-web tasks.
That's why Clare said I'd still have a job here
and that she'd find stuff for me to do
to fill in the web gap.

At First Blush - I'd stick with the Library -
where you're *loved* and *appreciated* :) -
ya can always do Wed Stuff on the side! ;)

But the Boss' statement that "she'd find stuff for me to do" -
is a bit worrysome to me...

The Library has to work within a Budget -
and if part of that budget will now be "given to IT/Comm" to
cover the Web Work YOU were doing for the Library;
the Library will be looking at a Smaller Budget
AND a "new employee" = YOU.

I'd suggest a serious discussion with your Boss about
WHERE is the money for your wages & benefits going to come from.?

My guess is IT/Comm wouldn't hesitate to point
out in a budget review
that "the Library needs one LESS person; and we need one More"!

(This DOES *suck*!!) :(

More {{{Hugs}}}, Kimmy!!

/s/ :mad: Phred

dukedogsmom
01-27-2005, 04:28 PM
I think you should do what makes you happy. You don't want to be miserable at a job you would normally love. Good luck in making your decision. I still don't understand why you have to apply for the job you've already got. But, I sure do understand politics. There's a huge amount of it at my workplace.

Cataholic
01-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Kimmy,
That is stressful! While I agree, it is better to be 'happy', I would offer the suggestion of looking longer range. I would branch out, take on anything new, in the different department. Why? You might become more experienced, more valuable, and keep a job. It sounds like the boss you have now would make an effort to find something for you to do, if it didn't work out in the new 'job'. I would keep that as a fall back position. I have rarely found being 'resistant' in the workplace to be of use. I am not saying you are being resistant in the typical sense..but, more in the 'gotta stay floating along like the rest of the people". The saying, "everyone is replacable" is a little too hard to get over.

Good luck with whatever you do.

cyber-sibes
01-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Bummer! Sounds like the kinds of things that go on in other universities, too. Don't have any advice to offer, but I'll keep praying that the best and highest good for you comes about.

Fox-Gal
01-27-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening to you right now.

do I want to continue doing what I like (web work) but be unhappy, or do I want to continue working where I am already happy and learn new things?

I think maybe your answer is right here. Do you want to get up every morning unhappy in your job? Will you stay at a place your unhappy with? Or do you want to get up enjoying what you do and learning new things?

Sometimes when we are torn between things, just answering the simple question without over thinking it, makes the choose easier.

Then go talk to your boss and find out what "find stuff for me to do" means in real work terms.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

micki76
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
Do you want to get up every morning unhappy in your job? Will you stay at a place your unhappy with? Or do you want to get up enjoying what you do and learning new things?

Exactly! Nothing is as important as happiness.

I live about 40 minutes outside of Dallas. If I made that trek to work every day and back I could nearly double the salary I make here in my smaller suburb, but I would be unhappy with the hour and a half commute each way. I like being 10 minutes away from home. I like where I work and what I do for the most part.

Cincy'sMom
01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Having a made a decision to change jobs less then a year ago, I understand the difficult choice.

Unfortunatley, either way, you are going to have doubts and for awhile wonder if it is the right thing. While extra money is nice, you have to try and figure out first what is going to make you happy, and second, what is going to be the best for your future (and the happiness does play into what is best).

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

ramanth
01-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks gang!

I called my mom last night to ask what she would do and she said she'd definitely stay with the job that makes her happy rather than work where she'd be unhappy even if the pay is more.

I think I'll still apply for the position but I found out that the ad has been in the paper for over a week already! :eek: It's possible they have someone else in mind, but we'll see.

My heart is telling me to stay with the Library. :)

slick
01-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Go with the gut, Kim! Your instinct is usually right. I've been working in non-profit for about 18 years and although I'd get paid more to work elsewhere, I love my job and THAT'S reward in itself. Good luck.

shais_mom
01-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Oh Kimmy I am so sorry to hear of this stressful situation.:(
I don't know about any advice but do offer you my support!
Hugs

anna_66
01-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Kimmy I'm sorry to hear about all of this. It would really be a hard decision to make, but do what makes you happy.

Wish I had some better advice, but like Staci said you have my support.

ramanth
02-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the support. :) *HUGS*

You would not believe how busy I've been here at work! And I've barely done any web stuff. :D

Although, I did redesign the Library's Catalog (something the web dept. CAN'T take)

Pretty eh? http://innopac.cooley.edu

Today I sent in my letter of interest and resume. We'll see what happens.

Cinder & Smoke
02-04-2005, 11:10 AM
:)

Someone WE all know! (http://www.cooley.edu/library/staff/smithkim.htm)

:cool:

;)

ramanth
02-04-2005, 01:12 PM
:o

stacwase
02-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Kimmy,

I'm kind of confused (it's my usual state of mind, lately - don't worry). Are you in any danger whatsoever of losing your job at the library? Have you asked your boss directly if your job there is secure?

I was just wondering if she showed you that ad because she wanted you to interview for the job, or if she just wanted you to know that it was available, if you wanted it. I mean - she wasn't hinting that there were going to be further budget cuts in the near future or anything, right?

If I was in your situation (I really loved my job and there was another one available which I might not love as much), then I would make sure my current position was stable and stay there, if I could, but I would really stay on IT's good side in case I needed a job there later.

I've got my fingers crossed for you - so I know you'll make the right decision!

Stacey

ramanth
02-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Stacey, when Clare showed me the job ad she specifically said she didn't want me to quit working for the Library, but felt it wouldn't be fair if she kept the information from me.

At the moment I feel my job is secure here at the Library. I've submitted my resume so really, all I can do is wait.

If I don't get the job in Communications, and something happens to my job here at the Library, then I'll deal with it one day at a time. No need to stress about it. :)

RobiLee
02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Whatever happens, I'm wishing you all the best Kimmy! I'm sure things are going to turn out just fine.

stacwase
02-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Stacey, when Clare showed me the job ad she specifically said she didn't want me to quit working for the Library, but felt it wouldn't be fair if she kept the information from me.

At the moment I feel my job is secure here at the Library. I've submitted my resume so really, all I can do is wait.

If I don't get the job in Communications, and something happens to my job here at the Library, then I'll deal with it one day at a time. No need to stress about it. :)

That's a good attitude - I wish I could be more like that! I stress about everything.

ramanth
02-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
That's a good attitude - I wish I could be more like that! I stress about everything.
I used too also... but I hated the ulcers and panic attacks. ;) :D