PDA

View Full Version : Paxil is going to the white coats

Glacier
01-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Sigh, I've been up most of the night cleaning up doggy puke. Paxil has been heaving and heaving and heaving some more. She wouldn't eat last night, so she's just bringing up water and bile. Around 1am I gave her some kaopectate, as directed by the on-call vet. That seemed to settle her down and she went to sleep, but this morning, she had more bile on her blanket. So she's going in today at 1:30.

Paxil has lost a lot of weight lately and she had none to loose. She was dewormed in December. I thought it was just the cold snap we recently had. Dogs burn alot of calories just keeping warm in -40C. So I've been feeding special food, lots of it, and keeping her inside so she doesn't have to work to stay warm.

She seemed happy enough until two days ago, when she just seemed to crater. She's acting exhausted and not her usual affectionate little self.

I was going to take her in for a check up when my favorite vet opens his new clinic in February, but I don't think I can wait any longer. She's not a well dog.

Please keep your paws crossed that she'll be ok. I haven't had her for very long, but she's the dog who changed everything for me...my very first dog team was lead by Paxil.

Queen of Poop
01-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Paws are crossed and prayers sent out for you and Paxil. I sure hope she's going to be ok.

Glacier
01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Paxil has pancreatitis. She'll be at the vet until at least Saturday and possibly up to a week. She's on an IV for fluids and medications. No food or water for 48 hours. If her pancreas kicks in and starts trying to make digestive enzeymes than she will only get worse. Her liver and kidney values are off on her blood work. My vet says that could be from the dehydration, from all the vomiting last night or it could be actual kidney and liver problems. Until her pancreas starts functioning properly, they can't deal with the rest of the issues. Once she's hydrated, they will redo the blood panel to check her kidney and liver functions again.

Sigh, keep your paws crossed a little longer. She could recover with no complications or she could be in real danger of not coming home ever again. :(

K9soul
01-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Oh no! :( :( Poor Paxil! I think Val mentioned Duke had pancreatitis once. It sounds pretty scary. I'll be thinking and praying for her recovery!

Cinder & Smoke
01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi God ~

Summore Help down here, PaLeeze?

Glacier's lil Pixil hazza verrie uppyset tummie...

OHhhhh, You wuz THERE wiff her?
Hey, FANKZ fur helpin da White Coat -
her Mom is reelee wurried bout her.

We'll leave it all in Your Hanz, God ~
But we'z gonna be Krossin Pawz an Prayin ta *remind* Ya.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups