PDA

View Full Version : For New Companion Cat is it good to get a different sex???

cruisetime
01-27-2005, 08:55 AM
We now have a female - that I have to admit knows I'm Meowmie and runs to me to let her do what she wants when hubby says "no" but she seems to favor hubby. So is it good to get a male cat companion (one that might attach more to me) or should I get another female??? Debbie

moosmom
01-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I have 6 cats and they all get along. The thing that is most important is the introduction. You'll need to isolate the new kitty in spare room. Stack baby gates in the doorway so they can see and smell each other. Feed them near each other on opposite sides of the gates. They'll associate it with a pleasant experience. It'll take a while, but you'll be surprized at how they'll adapt to each other.

That's great that you're thinking about another cat. Only cats can sometimes get lonely. Good luck!

cruisetime
01-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Thank you - I wasn't sure if it was better to get same sex or not. I do think she is lonely that is why we are looking again. :) Debbie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
I know others will disagree with this, but I would get a male. Partly because I like to watch the differences in the two. Even though they will both be fixed, the females are sometimes just so typically female and the males are sometimes just so typically male.

Sometimes it is harder to introduce female to female also, especially when they are older than kitten stage. I know you have a two 1/2 year old now, so if you were to get, say, another 2 year old female, there may be some sparks. However, if you were to get a kitten, she might take over the mother role. But with your description of how Meka was driving you crazy, I don't know if I'd recommend a kitten. ;)

Try about a 4 year old orangie male. They're known to be laid back lovable lugs, but will still be young enough to play when she wants to play.

But also, like Moosmom says, the introductions are soooo important. Do it slow and easy and everyone will be happier all around.

christa
01-27-2005, 11:09 AM
I say, GET A MALE KITTY!

We had Josie for a year and she's a daddy's cat for the most part. When we got a 2nd, we got Brodie and they have done great together! PLUS, he's a meowmie's kitty boy!!!

catnapper
01-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I say male too. Females, especially Princesses who rule the roost, tend to resent new females coming along. Try to find a nice laid back male who will let her continue to dominate. An orangie perhaps? :D

Logan
01-27-2005, 11:53 AM
The only problem with getting another cat of any type is if you have a female like my Mimi who simply HATES any other cat. Of course, she has only been exposed to other males, but the first one came as a 3 week old kitten and this was about 10 years ago and it totally changed her personality. We rescued the kitten, bottle fed, medicated, etc, but he did have to find a home because she was there first. When our Butter showed up about 4 years ago, I said, if she can't handle it, then he must go. She handled it better, but still hisses, growls and runs from him, even when he respects her greatly and doesn't mess with her at all. At least the house is big enough for them to coexist without bothering each other too much.

Good luck! I'm certain that most situations aren't as strange as mine.

Logan

moosmom
01-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Everyone is right. When I wanted to get another cat to keep Mollie Rose company, I got a male kitten. My little RB Casey "Bubba Dude". It was the best thing I ever did. He was only 5 weeks old, and it was long before I knew anything about cats and gradually introducing them.

I simply took Casey out of his carrier and let him sniff around. Mollie Rose, who was a year old at the time, hissed and growled, but there were no major battles.

I think you just need to make sure that the cat you decide to adopt has no "only cat" issues. Otherwise it probably won't work out.

NoahsMommy
01-27-2005, 12:30 PM
I prefer males too, although I LOVE the prissyness of female cats, especially Torties.

If you want a cat that'll bond to you, a male is a better choice.

As far as them getting along, my opposite sex cats seem to bond together more: Noah/Noel, Basie/Hermione, Phoebe/Samson

Craftlady
01-27-2005, 12:50 PM
RB Butterscotch (male)
Skinny (male)
Thumper and Eleanor (females)
All bonded with both us and any one who came to visit us at our house. Spoiled rotten :)
I believe going by personality more than if kitty is male or female when adopting. You just know standing there holding the adoptees who's going to be "the one" to come home with you.
All ours picked us not us picking them :)

kimlovescats
01-27-2005, 12:58 PM
I have both males and females who have bonded well with me and hubby ... but as far as your other cat is concerned, I would tend to say MALE also! ;)

cruisetime
01-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Great - I want a male since Meka isn't really as close to me as I'd like. So male it is - but would you really get a kitten??? Like Debbie said I don't think I have the patience for a kitten. So if it is an older male would you get one older than my Meka?? Could she still rule - because she is going to have to rule!!!! Trust me!!! :) She is my cat - hahahahahaha Debbie

kimlovescats
01-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by cruisetime
Great - I want a male since Meka isn't really as close to me as I'd like. So male it is - but would you really get a kitten??? Like Debbie said I don't think I have the patience for a kitten. So if it is an older male would you get one older than my Meka?? Could she still rule - because she is going to have to rule!!!! Trust me!!! :) She is my cat - hahahahahaha Debbie

Women always have a way of "ruling"!:rolleyes: ;)
Seriously though, a young adult male would be fine, or you could go with one around 4 or so, like T&P's mom said. She may smack him around a bit, but he will be fine! I do also agree that orangies are the most mellow boys!;)

catnapper
01-27-2005, 01:04 PM
I wish you lived closer! I have the PURRFECT little dude for you! Murphy is a love, and very much laid back. Oh well... I don't suppose hubby let you travel to Pennsylvania for a kitten? :D

catmandu
01-28-2005, 09:06 AM
That worked,at the Found Cats Hotel,as I adopted Pouncer Girl,then Mr Scarppy,but the Found Cats,now do not discriminate,against Any Stray,that shows up.

cruisetime
01-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Thank you all!! When you say orange what exact type of cat is it? I found Handsome Harry on Petfinders at "Adopt A Cat" here in Houston and he is an orange tabby striped bobtail and I thought he'd be great as Meka is a bobtail but he is 2 years old and Meka is now close to 3 years old. I did call them and got a depressing message that due to funding and staff they can not accept any more animals but I left a message asking to meet Harry but I haven't heard anything. I tried to email but it came back undeliverable... Do any of you have any idea how to work with these organizations that rescue cats and put them in foster care? I tried before on another organization (HOPE) and nobody returned my calls or emails and then I asked a lady from the organization I saw at Petco and she said the cat I asked about had been adopted about the time I was calling but then I saw the cat at Petco last month (4 months later). Do they not want to adopt them out????? Debbie

cruisetime
01-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Picture of Harry at Petfinders....

cruisetime
01-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Catnapper - I'd love to adopt a PT cat but Pennsylvania is a little too far for me.... :) :) I really would love to adopt one from PT though because I know they are wonderful cats!!! Debbie

catnapper
01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cruisetime
]I saw at Petco and she said the cat I asked about had been adopted about the time I was calling but then I saw the cat at Petco last month (4 months later). Do they not want to adopt them out????? Debbie
Sometimes the cats are adopted and returned. For a variety of reasons. A few unlucky kitties are adopted out three and four times before it finally finds its forever home. My Harry was adopted out and he came back to me.

I knew PA would be too far for you... I was just joking. :D

NoahsMommy
01-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Most rescues are run by volunteers who have their own lives in addition to the rescues they run.

I'd be persistant and make sure they know you are reliable and serious. These people spend a lot of time, money and concern on their rescues and they want to ensure they're going to a good home.

:) Harry sure is a cutie!!

DJFyrewolf36
01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Harry is a real cutie!!

I agree, getting a male companion for your female is a good idea. Ive noticed that unless they are raised from kittenhood together, females do not get along well the majority of the time unless there are more cats than just the two. When I was younger, we had a pair of female littermates and even though they grew up together they hissed and spat at each other from time to time. My Remus hates male cats *all except for my MILs cat Draco* Spook (a female) and him get along wonderfully however *Spook actually hissed at him first during the introduction lol*

Good luck in finding a friend for your kitty :D

cutie_chica
01-28-2005, 12:49 PM
When Princess moved to Kentucky she got anti-social. The vet recomended for us to get a new friend. So after a talk about care needs and so on. We went and got Tony. Princess was 2 at the time, Tony was only 10 weeks. We let Princess come around while Tony was in his carrier, and she quickly took up to him.

I think as long as you allow them to meet on thier own terms, it should be alright! And dont forget pictures!

Good Luck!

Lacey
01-28-2005, 01:13 PM
I too have to put my vote with orangie male. But then I'm a bit biased. :D Things weren't love at first sight here with Zelda, but Mowgli adored her from the start and won her over.