PDA

View Full Version : The Navy

PJ's Mom
01-26-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking of joining the Naval Reserves. I'm 38, and not in great shape, but not too overweight or anything. ;)

This is kind of scary for me, but I feel it's about the only chance I have left to do something with my life. If I join, I have to go away to basic training for a few weeks to Indiana. (I'm in Texas) It'll mean leaving my kids and my pets. :(

What do you think? Would you go?

Samantha Puppy
01-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't, but only because I know it's not my bag of tricks. If it's something you've always wanted to do though, go for it. If it's something that just popped into your head though, do LOTS of research on it because getting involved in the US military is no insignificant, uncomplicated thing.

star of light
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
weel my sister is in the navy in illionis wow i live in cali she is haveing a big and i mean big weather change...umm my sis was a lil over waight so she had to loose punds before basic training....she said that its really just a mental stage in basic trainging she wasa a how should i call it a bit^& before she joined but now she is a nice loveing and careing sis....it will change your life

i say its up to you......but if you have kids i am not sure...you will be away in the navy (min 2 years)....but if you do good in school (after bt) then you might i did say might be able to choose the closest base near your house

Samantha Puppy
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by star of light
weel my sister is in the navy in illionis wow i live in cali she is haveing a big and i mean big weather change...umm my sis was a lil over waight so she had to loose punds before basic training....she said that its really just a mental stage in basic trainging she wasa a how should i call it a bit^& before she joined but now she is a nice loveing and careing sis....it will change your life

i say its up to you......but if you have kids i am not sure...you will be away in the navy (min 2 years)....but if you do good in school (after bt) then you might i did say might be able to choose the closest base near your house She's talking about the Reserves, not going into active duty. In the Reserves, you serve one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer, unless you are deployed.

star of light
01-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
She's talking about the Reserves, not going into active duty. In the Reserves, you serve one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer, unless you are deployed.

opps
lmao i am soo stupid some times :rolleyes:

PJ's Mom
01-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
She's talking about the Reserves, not going into active duty. In the Reserves, you serve one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer, unless you are deployed.

Right. I'm too old to go into the regular Navy. ;)

moosmom
01-27-2005, 02:54 PM
When I was 36 I tried joining the Navy and Air Force in order to get my nursing degree. I was told I was too old! :eek: I was insulted!! :p

Good luck with the reserves! Let us know how you make out.

PJ's Mom
01-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Thank you. :)

ramanth
01-27-2005, 03:41 PM
It's definitely a tough decision since you have a family. :)

Right after High School I wanted to join the Navy and they said I'd have to have the pin and screw in my foot removed first (had surgery when I was 14). I didn't have a strong pull to join and the thought of going under the knife again didn't appeal to me.

I'd say defintitely follow your heart. :)