PDA

View Full Version : i might have cancer

sweet_stormy
01-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Monday i went to the doctors and i had to get blood taken... yesterday, before i found out the results, i was joking around with a whole bunch of my friends... i was saying that if i had cancer i would laugh... well, the doctors told me that i have a bad thyroid... i was reading about thyroids today and there is thyroid cancer my heart almost stopped... now im scared that i might have the cancer.... the doctors havent told me all the results yet.... i am so scared.... i am only 15...
ill keep you guys posted with the rest of the results....

~*Becky*~

luvofallhorses
01-26-2005, 11:31 AM
((hugs)) positive vibes being sent your way

catnapper
01-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Relax, my mom had thyroid problems, and then discovered the beginning of cancer. There's treatment for it where they radiate your thyroid. You have to stay away from people and animals for a few days but soon the radiation shrinks your thyroid away and you no longer have it. Then you just take pills every day for the rest of your life to produce the hormone your thyroid would have been producing.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Not to make light of this, but there are many more types of thyroid problems than cancer, and most are treatable with just medication. I've had a lump on my thyroid for...well...for who knows how long, but it was discovered about 3 years ago...I think. I've been on medication ever since then to try and shrink the lump - it's not working - but there are all sorts of things they can do and like I say, most just involve medication. They've done "skinny needle biopsies" on my lump and it's not cancerous, which is why they just keep trying to shrink it rather than get rid of it altogether.

So I guess my point is, don't jump to conclusions. You've got your age on your side - meaning your young and healthy - so yes, it is possible it's cancer, but more than likely it's just either over or under active and needs a little adjustment via medication. My meds have made me feel 100% better. Mine was under active (hypo-thyroidism) so getting it to work up to speed again has made a world of difference in how I feel.

Oh, and over and/or under active thyroids are really quite common. Good luck with the results, but don't sweat it too much - k? :)

Samantha Puppy
01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Thyroid problems do not equal thyroid cancer. Stop jumping to conclusions and wait to hear from your doctor.

ramanth
01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Positive vibes sent. *hugs*

smokey the elder
01-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at your age. It's very easy to manage. You can either take meds for it or get the iodine. I had the meds for awhile; it went into normal mode for quite a long time. When it came back, I got the iodine. I hope that's all you've got.

Kristl
01-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid when I was 13. I was on meds until I was about 20 or 21...my tests showed that I no longer needed meds and I'm fine now...I may need the meds later on in life again, but not right now! Don't think the worst, you'll only freak yourself out! Think positive!

GraciesMommy
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
"Bad Thyroid" certainly does not mean cancer. My mom takes meds for thyroid...lots of people have over active or under active..
chill out and watch..every thing will be just fine

petslover
01-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey! Don't jump to conclusions. I have thyroid problems, and I'm okay. I just take a pill a day. The pill makes you a little moody on days, but other than that your fine. I hope all goes well. If you want to IM me about it. you may!

CountryWolf07
01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Sweetie, you're in my prayers... It'll be OKAY! :) *big hugs*

Chica
01-26-2005, 07:52 PM
DON'T WORRY TO MUCH, OKAY. I HAD CANCER TO.!! :) IT IS OKAY, BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIES AND MEDICAL BREAK THROUGHS AND MEDICATIONS THAT I AM SURE IT WILL BE TREATABLE. I WAS TREATED FOR BREAST CANCER AND I AM OKAY NOW!;)

Tina
01-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I will send positive thoughts your way!!

NoahsMommy
01-26-2005, 11:33 PM
One of my good friends was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when she was 4. She had to have her thyroid taken out and was put on meds.

This past year, she had a relapse and was given the iodine treatment and she's doing well again.

Luckily, you live in a wonderful age of technology.

Take care and let us know what they find. :)

EssTer
01-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Prayesr are on way!!
I really hope you will be OK soon ;)
((((HUGS))))

cookieluver7
01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I hope it isnt cancer. But like other pters have said dont jump to conclusions. It'll be okay. You are in my prayers.

Karen
01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
I hope that, whatever it is, it's easily treatable, and you're bcak up to snuff in no time. You'll be in our prayers.

kuhio98
01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Relax, my mom had thyroid problems, and then discovered the beginning of cancer. There's treatment for it where they radiate your thyroid. You have to stay away from people and animals for a few days but soon the radiation shrinks your thyroid away and you no longer have it. Then you just take pills every day for the rest of your life to produce the hormone your thyroid would have been producing.

The same thing happened to my friend Susie. She's been cancer free for over 20 years. She does have to take the hormone pill ever day but she's very health. I hope your news is good too!

pitc9
01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
This may sounds weird... but if you are going to get cancer, the best place to get it is in the thyroid because it does not spread to any other part of your body. They can just take your thyroid out because you can live without it!
My sister just finished up all of her treatment for Papalari (spelling??) Thyroid Cancer.
Is is doing great, and is expected to be fine!

Sending good vibes and hugs to you!!!
Keep us posted!