PDA

View Full Version : WARNING to dog owners in Florida

wolfsoul
01-25-2005, 11:21 PM
I just posted this in General:

Don't know if this has been posted, but it's extremely important. I have just found out that there is an unknown disease that is spreading rapidly through the entire state of Florida. It seems that the disease is mainly plaguing dogs in shelters. The disease causes a very slow and very painful death. It would be wise for everyone to be careful which dogs they let their dogs play with, as there is nothing known about this disease thus far. It seems that the only thing we believe so far is that it may somehow be linked to Newcastle disease. It would be very good for everyone in the area to get their dog vaccinated for it.

Here is how you can help:
http://tinypic.com/1ghn2g

''You have 1.5 days to get your ticket~ names will be drawn on THURSDAY-6PM California Time.
I will take your email commitment as temporary cash~ and ask that payments arrive no later than Feb 5th."

BitsyNaceyDog
01-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Wow that's scary. I haven't heard anything about it. Let me know if you find out anything more.

honor_fl
01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
I have just found out that there is an unknown disease that is spreading rapidly through the entire state of Florida.

I just googled this and could not find any information about it at all. Can you provide a link?

wolfsoul
01-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I couldn't find any websites explaining it either -- I just found some posts on message boards.

http://members5.boardhost.com/catahoularescue/msg/20909.html
http://members5.boardhost.com/CatsCradle/msg/32763.html

And a cry for help to get Tammy's body to the place where it needs to be autopsied. This will help the vets determine what disease this is and how to treat it.

http://members5.boardhost.com/CatsCradle/msg/32898.html
"WE have to get Tammy's body (RIP) to the VET COLLEGE for autopsy.
PLEASE PLEASE- does ANYONE know anyone. I would knock on doors but my arms are not that long!

We need to get this pup autopsied and it needs to be TODAY!
Magi does not drive.

know a trucker? friend, family member?

EMAIL MAGI
[email protected]

Here is the MAP- 3 hour drive time
http://tinyurl.com/64zw9 "

wolfsoul
01-26-2005, 10:06 AM
This is why there arent any websites on it:

Well, we all know that these folks do already know about this problem and that Miami is trying to keep things quiet so they can keep adopting dogs out

I do not want to go to the media first, because maybe, if one of the legislators will help stamp out this problem, he will want to go to the media as the hero.

Samantha Puppy
01-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I would love to help, but we are very short on money at the moment... and I live in Maryland so I can't help with the drive.

I hope, whatever this is though, that they find out what it is and get rid of it before anymore pups die... :( I will add this to my prayers tonight.

lizbud
01-26-2005, 10:43 AM
This sounds very suspicious to me. I wouldn't spread this
rumor unless you can provide a reliable link to more information.

wolfsoul
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
This sounds very suspicious to me. I wouldn't spread this
rumor unless you can provide a reliable link to more information.
The link came from the catahoula rescue -- that is one of the places struck by the disease.

I don't see why anyone would spread a rumor about a puppy needing a transport to a vet --- what would be in it for them? :confused:

wolfsoul
01-26-2005, 07:37 PM
It's too late. No one could transport Tammy. And dogs are still dieing. :(

delidog
01-26-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm Not sure that I understand...
First post is "Deadly Disease"
Unknown Origin,No Symptoms,No Name for said disease...
Then "Get your DogsVaccinated"
Against What???
Then This Poor Pup dies....and looking for trip to Gainesville for Autopsy...
Believe Me, If Gainseville doesn't know What it is or how it is Contracted...There is No Vaccine for it...

Can you please be a little more specific????:confused:

Thanks....

wolfsoul
01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by delidog
I'm Not sure that I understand...
First post is "Deadly Disease"
Unknown Origin,No Symptoms,No Name for said disease...
Then "Get your DogsVaccinated"
Against What???
Then This Poor Pup dies....and looking for trip to Gainesville for Autopsy...
Believe Me, If Gainseville doesn't know What it is or how it is Contracted...There is No Vaccine for it...

Can you please be a little more specific????:confused:

Thanks....

As I said in my first post: "It seems that the only thing we believe so far is that it may somehow be linked to Newcastle disease. It would be very good for everyone in the area to get their dog vaccinated for it."

It seems that the disease is closely linked to the Newcastle disease, and the vaccine for it has been known to help. :)

Kfamr
01-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I've never heard anything of this.

Jods
01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
I haven't heard about this, but I will keep my eyes peeled even though I live in Canada. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean its not true. I'd rather it not to be true and be prepared then all of a sudden have it hit us. Wolfsoul posted this to help not because she was trying to spread a rumour. People on here have to stop jumping down each others throats.

Kfamr
01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I didn't see anyone jumping down anyone's throat??? :confused:

Jods
01-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Maybe I took it wrong, but it seems to me the way I'm reading it that Wolfsoul is trying to defend herself in this thread. I could be wrong and apologize if I am.

Kfamr
01-26-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't think anyone was attacking wolfsoul, more so questioning the story she posted... in which has absolutely nothing to do with her personally.

It just seems kind of weird.

If they were so worried, whoever they are, about dogs dying a" slow and painful death" in Florida of "some disease" that our dogs need to get vaccinated for - that they wouldn't care who gets "stamped a hero", as long as dog's lives are being saved.

If it is in fact a true story, and they don't want some other person getting the credit for stamping out th problem, then "they" are very selfish and immature people.

I've never heard one bit about this story.. or even "Newcastle disease" down here.

Jods
01-26-2005, 10:15 PM
True. The only thing I'd be worried about I think is sending my money to something I've never heard of. Other then that though I'd just keep my eyes peeled. Is there any way to find out the truth maybe by calling shelters or something, maybe this will help us not be so skeptical at sending our money away.

Kfamr
01-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Here's something else I found about it, but it's a bit different in detail.

http://www.petfinder.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=50327&highlight=disease+florida

Uabassoon
01-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I looked on google and I don't see anything about Newcastle disease for dogs. I saw a lot about it affecting birds. Is there even a vaccine for dogs?

Desert Arabian
01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Right, Uabassoon, Newcastle Disease has nothing to do with dogs- it is an avian disease. Unless it's something new, I've never heard of it affecting dogs. :confused:

delidog
01-27-2005, 04:52 AM
I was also wondering,What IS Newcastle Disease???
I have not heard of it...
Do you have some info on it???

BitsyNaceyDog
01-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Here's something else I found about it, but it's a bit different in detail.

http://www.petfinder.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=50327&highlight=disease+florida

Thanks Kay.

wolfsoul
01-27-2005, 11:01 AM
I asked for the whole story, and I got it. Still doesn't sound like a scam to me.

There is a terrible situation emanating from the Miami-Dade Animal Control shelter. A fatal disease, which has killed at least 10 rescue dogs that I personally know of (and now many more that I have learned of from emails sent to Magi or me in the past few days), develops about a week to 10 days after the dog leaves the shelter. These dogs have been taken into rescue homes or veterinary care in far-flung corners of the State of Florida- Port Charlotte, Daytona Beach, Palm Beach, Mims, the panhandle. There are now reliable reports of a similar illness having reached Georgia as well.
The dogs become lethargic, start with a clear discharge from the nose which turns to a green mucous gunk (such a scientific description), develop massive congestion of the lungs (on x-ray), start twitching and grinding their teeth, may develop PAINFUL seizures, and die (or are PTS at this point). Hemorrhage in the lungs, which may be microscopic or gross, also occurs at the end-stage of this disease. Tests for parvo and distemper are negative. Since the dogs that I know of were rescue dogs, no autopsies have been done for cost reasons. The rescues have already run up huge bills for treating these dogs and I have heard that several have been forced out of the rescue business.

Interestingly, the Newcastle vaccine (serum), given early enough, may have saved at least one group of pups that I know of, although under special circumstances: they were cared for in a home, with round-the-clock human attention. These pups never developed seizures. The vaccine evidently has to be administered intravenously and early in the illness to do any good.

When Cleo, the mama dog who Carrie Bruffey took in from MAC got sick, and then one puppy after the other came down with the disease (all were born at Carrie’s place AFTER Cleo left the shelter), and I read about their suffering before they either died or were PTS, I cried. When Marble, who Aussie Rescue took from MAC, got sick and died the same way, I cried as well. When tiny 12-week-old Tammy, who Magi took from MAC, came down with it, I cried again. I was on the internet many times each day and night, holding Magi’s hand in a “cyber” fashion. I heard all the awful details, down to Tammy’s horrendous death, hemorrhaging from her lungs, then lying dead in a pool of blood. No folks, this is no scam.

When Tammy died, I was madder than I was sad. So I decided that I was going to DO something. After doing some research about the way Florida does things (I am a New Yorker), I contacted the Department of Agriculture. After getting the go-around from a few people, I finally found someone who at least would listen to me. After I explained the situation, she told me that the Department of Agriculture could do nothing about Miami Animal Control because Miami Animal Control was under the rule of City and County commissioners. Florida, as a State, does not even license MAC. Well, I knew that Miami officials and MAC knew full well about this problem and were doing nothing about it because (1) they wanted to have their dogs adopted and (2) they were afraid that to solve the problem, and save the lives of future dogs, they would have to have the current dogs PTS, in order to clean up the place, and they were afraid of a public uproar if they did this.

The Department of Agriculture did say that if the disease turned out to be something that could be transmitted to HUMANS, they would intervene. Well, knowing that Newcastle serum had helped some dogs, an that Newcastle disease had been transmitted to humans from birds, and it was related to Avian flu, I decided to go down that path and try to find someone who could test a sick dog’s blood for the presence of either of those viruses. It turned out to be much of a dead end. Incidentally, the benefit of the Newcastle serum could have been to boost the pups immune response by providing a foreign protein, and not necessarily a specific anti-Newcastle virus response.

The Department of Agriculture also suggested I call the Florida Veterinary Medicine Association to see what help they could offer. So I did. I spoke to several people and was finally referred to a Dr. Rubin, an elderly gentleman who was the veterinarian “in residence” at the FVMA office. His first response was “What do you expect ME to do with the limited resources the FVMA has?” Well, I had done some research on this guy and knew he had written an article recently on the history of the FVMA (his picture was annexed to the article, which is why I knew he was elderly and probably a sourpus before I even called), so I told him I understood, but before I hung up, I did want to tell him that in my research about people to call, I had found his article, read it, and found it very interesting and well written. OK, I was buttering him up, but it was true. Miracle. His ego boostered, he offered a tiny tidbit of help. He gave me the name and number of a friend of his, a veterinarian virologist at the state vet school, told me he did epidemiologic studies and might be able to help me, and said I should use his name.

I called this veterinarian virologist…and at last…someone who listened seriously. He was particularly interested because last summer, a VERY SIMILAR illness had been seen in Florida greyhounds, and wiped out large numbers of dogs at a number of Florida tracks. The causative agent was not identified, however, until the fall when, through the efforts of the Univ. of Fla Veterinary School and Cornell University, it was shown to be equine (horse) influenza. http://www.vetscite.org/publish/items/001864
http://discuss.agonist.org/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=20371
http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/pr/nw_story/greyhds.htm

Because Tammy’s illness was so similar to the Greyhound illness, and because the Greyhound illness had been thought to be limited to the racing Greyhounds, only, Dr. Gaskin agreed to have the Vet School do an autopsy on Tammy’s body and test tissue and blood samples to see if this was the case. Unfortunately, we could not get Tammy’s body to Gainesville in time (autopsy had to be done within 48 hours of death according to Dr. Gaskin). Magi tried Fed Ex, but that’s another story for another day. Now, as gruesome as it sounds, we need another “body” for that autopsy.

We are also looking for dogs who have survived the illness to provide blood samples for testing. It takes several weeks for a dog to develop enough antibodies to a virus so that it is detectable by the tests that are available. Unfortunately, most dogs with the illness don’t live long enough to have a positive antibody test. Dogs who recover will have antibodies in their blood long after they recover.

I do not know of any dog-to-dog transmission once a dog has been taken out of MAC. I do not count dogs of the same litter (I think Cleo's pups had to be infected in utero or through her milk, although I obviously don't know for sure). We should find out if anyone knows of dog to dog transmission -- another pet in the house coming down with this within 3 weeks of a rescue dog getting sick.

Why has all this been going on without an uproar? Because it has been happening to one dog at a time…in different parts of the state…to rescues that do not necessarily communicate that type of information to each other. No one connected the dots.

Well, that’s what I know about this whole sad situation. If anyone has any questions I haven’t answered, or the links above haven’t answered, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will try to answer them. Kim Kleppel

bsherman
01-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Isn't Newcastle desease a Bird Virus?

wolfsoul
01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bsherman
Isn't Newcastle desease a Bird Virus?

Yes, as it says in what I quoted:
"Well, knowing that Newcastle serum had helped some dogs, an that Newcastle disease had been transmitted to humans from birds, and it was related to Avian flu, I decided to go down that path and try to find someone who could test a sick dog’s blood for the presence of either of those viruses. It turned out to be much of a dead end. Incidentally, the benefit of the Newcastle serum could have been to boost the pups immune response by providing a foreign protein, and not necessarily a specific anti-Newcastle virus response."

Much like a cross medicine for one disease works to help another in a human.

wolfsoul
01-27-2005, 02:20 PM
For those who donated money to enter the draw (I doubt anyone here did, but anyway..), the draw is tonight at 6pm. Whoever wins gets a portrait of their dog done by Lisa Aycock. She is a really great artist. I really enjoy seeing her work.

K9soul
01-27-2005, 02:49 PM
That is really sad and frightening. I cannot imagine the helplessness of watching those dogs die. I will look into the links more when I am finished with work.

wolfsoul
01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
The raffle raised $570!!! :D

Kfamr
01-27-2005, 09:56 PM
If this is indeed true they NEED to tell the media about it to get the word spread. Who cares who gets what credit as long as the word is spread and dog's lives are saved.

delidog
01-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Wow that is so Sad and Scary...
I have a friend who runs a shelter in Miami...where I got Hobo...I will ask them if they have had any problems...

www.MiamiPetRescue.com

Glad that a Nice amount of money was raised....

Thank You for All the Info that you Researched & Supplied us with...
That took alot of work...

pitc9
01-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Glad to hear money was raied to help fight this.
I hope it's under control very soon.

Thank you Wolfsoul for bringing this to everyone's attention, this way smart pet owners down in FL will take every measure to keep their own pets healthy!

wolfsoul
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
The disease is no longer only plaguing shelter dogs -- it has moved on to regular family dogs and has moved up into the Northern parts of Florida.

As far as I know, 2 dogs have had autopsies done (or are going to have autopsies done).